RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: ? Most hated job in reloading ?

Boolit Grand Master

? Most hated job in reloading ?

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    How much do you put in? Maybe just a capful?
    Enough that it doesn’t produce dust. Size of tumbler as well as condition of media will come into play. The drier it is the more you will need. You can make it to wet and it will start clumping in the cases. To fix this just let it run longer. The media will dry out and and stop clumping.

Boolit Master

I wet about 6-8 38 cal. cleaning patches with lamp oil and add them to my Lyman tumbler. Brass comes out clean and patches come out dirty.
    God Bless, Whisler

Picking the brass up off the range

I am fortunate to have a Bridgeport Mill 3500 lbs. to do my trimming with a fixture and a spot face tool with pilot and micrometer stop. Next is an old RCBS motorized case prep machine

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    Picking the brass up off the range
    I've got one of those Caldwell brass retrievers. I found if you just push it down on the cases instead of try to roll it, it works better.

Anyway, makes range pickup much easier.
    WWG1WGA

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kreuzlover View Post
    Have you tried just expanding .308 to .358? Sounds simpler than cutting .30-06.
    Absolutely. The majority of my .358 Win. brass was made from .308, the parent case, and through the sizer once, and was ready to go.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Breaking down known/possible squibs. Possible is definitely worse, since theres good ammo that gets broke down.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    taking time from fishing to reload, so that I can shoot in my spare time. LOL its all good time spent, I guess its true if you enjoy what you do there are no bad jobs or days.

I've got 2 that tie for 1st place.

1- As a boolit caster....I hate visual inspection after a cast session. I generally will cast 800-1500 at a time. Makes you eyes go a bit goofy after the 2 hour mark when sorting for the "reject" pile

2- Like most other's that have posted...brass trimming. I have to admit...I will generally do neck sizing only on bottleneck cases just to keep trimming to a minimum.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I dont know if I actually "hate" it. But I definitely get a little bit of hand cramping when loading 9mm. I load in two stages on a lee turret. First sizing/priming/flaring to fill up ready to load bins. Then powder charging/bullet seating/crimping at another time.

My hand starts cramping up from handling a bunch of those little 9mm cases. I dont seem to have this problem with any larger cases. Just the 9mm cases and bullets. It probably doesnt help that I usually end up doing at least 500 at a time.

And of course those dang 380 cases sneaking in to the mix. At least they get caught during sizing because you can tell its one by the feel of the press. My girlfriend now laughs at me because she will hear me yell "another ******* 380!"

I feel for you guys that are loading on a progressive press when the 380 sneaks in. At least its a quick easy recovery for me on a turret.

Nothing, zilch. Anything I hate, I avoid.
    Regards,

Gary

There isn't any part of reloading hat I don't enjoy. Reloading is my relaxation Therapy besides I have now saved enough on ammo costs that I have paid for all of my equipment and at least one of my hand guns.

Boolit Master

Trimming brass, so I bought a Giraud trimmer. Now it is not a problem, except for odd brass like the .30 Carbine, which does not have a shoulder.

Trimming rifle brass, specifically my .308. I shoot and reload it by the hundreds and thousands of rounds. I have a power drill adapter for my Lyman case trimmer, but the process is always tedious.

Boolit Buddy

I put all the bullets I cast into a container and cull them as I run them through the sizer and lubricator.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    Trimming rifle brass, specifically my .308. I shoot and reload it by the hundreds and thousands of rounds. I have a power drill adapter for my Lyman case trimmer, but the process is always tedious.
    The little crow WFT will make quick work of it .