Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEVER Buy Hewlett Packard Product Again Ever!

Vendor Sponsor

NEVER Buy Hewlett Packard Product Again Ever!

I bought an internal SSD to use on a Linux computer I built. Ran great for a year then out of the blue, it can't find a UUID module needed to boot, I go look in the grub.cfg file and there it is, right there where it's supposed to be. So I format and reinstall, SAME error again! Make a long story short, I thought (keyword: THOUGHT) I'd be safe b/c it has a 3yr warranty.

NEVER will I buy another HP product ever..
    Worst customer service in the industry. NONE of them speak Engrish.
    They run you around in circles on the phone back to the operator 3x 4x until you get frustrated and give up.
    THIS is how they keep warranty costs down, by denying service.
    Time wasted on the phone trying to get warranty status on a NvMe device = over an hour.
    Time wasted by me SNAPPING it in half and THROWING it in the trash? About 2.325 SECONDS.

Furthermore......

A look on the company's Facebook page reveals a large prominent statement by their CEO about how George Floyd and Breonna Taylor are basically Saints by now, and the company is bowing down in reverence, blah blah blah,

Farther down the page is another statement from their CEO saying that the company is committed to doubling the number of black and african american executives by 2025. Isn't this just plain out blatant racism? I mean giving someone a job based on skin color instead of qualifications? Oh wait, this was "decriminalized" by affirmative action right?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    For SSDs, we only use Samsung.
    As for the BLM garbage. ALL companies are doing it now.

Boolit Master
    Would have been just as satisfying, but more fun, to shoot it rather than breaking it.

Boolit Master
    Used to love their calculators, but bought my last one years ago.
    Used to love their laser printers, switched to Brother for home a few years ago.
    Never was a fan of their PCs.
    Don’t use their memory or their drives.
    But it was such a great brand.

Boolit Master

HPE/Aruba does make one hell of a network switch, we have a couple thousand of them on our campus.

Another 'once was good' company.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Don't look at Dell's policy on the second amendment unless you are carrying duct tape to keep your head from exploding.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    a story heard way too often the way companies wiggle out of warranties. promise you the world in advertising, as soon as you lay out your money for product all that disappears. they hire rooms full of phone answerers in some far off country for just above slave wages that turn out to be no help whatsoever but very often they will try to sell you something else while your on the phone.

Boolit Master
    a person who dont buy from companys based on poltics is gonna end up owning nothing real quick

Boolit Buddy

Years ago, HP bought the Compaq computer company. Basically, you are running a Compaq. They are not a very good computer. Stick with Dell or Lenovo and an Intel processor.

/2 cents
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I've got 2 HP laptops. Bought one used and refurbished, other one daughter gave us as she needed a newer, faster one with bigger memory for classes. Both work fine e with no problems for us. Had 2 Chromebooks crash, though
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes....another "used to be good" company

The ever-growing list (add to it as necessary):
    HP
    Rockwell-Delta
    Milwaukee
    DeWalt
    Craftsman
    Ryobi
    Skill (some are still good)
    Black & Decker
    Ridgid
    Canon
    Lexmark
    Dell

Which Brand Is the Best?

The answer to this question is, of course, “it depends.” It depends on what the level of your work is, as well as what type of work you are primarily doing.

Do your research......buy wisely. Don't trust just one or two website for your decisions!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Companies need to take care of their company business and customers .
    Giving to charities and supporting causes comes directly at the customers expense .
    Plus if they support causes I don't ...they aren't getting my business .
    Being politically correct has no business in business .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    a person who dont buy from companys based on poltics is gonna end up owning nothing real quick
    That's definitely not true, you can purchase used which doesn't benefit the manufacturer one iota, you can build it yourself out of available components, there are plenty of ways around not supporting a company based on their political affiliation.

When's the last time you had a Starbucks? I roast my own coffee beans sourced directly from a trader that gets them straight from the farmer's coop. Starbucks cannot touch it for quality or taste. There are many things in life that give great joy without giving diddly squat to the current company that owns or make it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Somehow in my entire life I havent had an HP branded computer. But I can say that Dell is basically a swear word to me after dealing with them.

The warranty on Dell is garbage. We purchased a few new desktops for my work from Dell early last year. One of them kept freezing up right out of the box. When I say freezing up I mean completely locked up. As a test we let it sit for an entire week to see if it would come back to life. Nope. Still stuck.

Its been back and forth to Dell 3 times for warranty repair. Each time they said nothing was wrong with it and shipped it back to us. Now it is just a $1400 paperweight that sits in the IT corner of shame.

Personally I have given up on any off the shelf computer brand. At home I build my own. And now at work I have convinced the higher ups to go with a custom computer builder for all of our desktops/laptops. The kicker is that it actually costs us less money to have a builder put together a computer for us with the same specs that we were getting on the Dell branded ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Time wasted by me SNAPPING it in half and THROWING it in the trash? About 2.325 SECONDS.

When doing the proof load firing for his new BFG-50s, Mark Serbu used to shoot different things.
    He'd show videos of some of the things. A favorite was electronic junk that had failed.

Shooting a running lawn mower was my favorite,
    but tagging a digital camera or computer with a .50BMG round is rather impressive.

Getting that mad at a HP product might just be the perfect reason why you 'need' a bolt action .50BMG.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    That's definitely not true, you can purchase used which doesn't benefit the manufacturer one iota, you can build it yourself out of available components, there are plenty of ways around not supporting a company based on their political affiliation.

When's the last time you had a Starbucks? I roast my own coffee beans sourced directly from a trader that gets them straight from the farmer's coop. Starbucks cannot touch it for quality or taste. There are many things in life that give great joy without giving diddly squat to the current company that owns or make it.
    my issue is if i actually looked into all the company's that made the parts for each product and their advertisers and shipping and foreign matters and properly branched it out to weigh pros and cons it would mostly even out from data size. plus if i did spend the time and got the 5th preferred product instead of what i wanted based on the research, i won at slighting some company a microscopic amount, but at the cost of my own time and hair line and got something that dont suit my needs as much. so i dont see a clear winning option either way. id rather go outside and go on with my day.

Boolit Grand Master

NEVER Buy Hewlett Packard Product Again Ever!

Buy from companies that actually make the product if you can. Not just one that throws a label on it. There are only a few producers of NAND flash, HP is not one of them. The cheaper up front price doesn’t always work out. There are plenty of well known brands of SSDs that have warranties that are easy to use.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Buy from companies that actually make the product if you can. Not just one that throws a label on it. There are only a few producers of NAND flash, HP is not one of them. The cheaper up front price doesn’t always work out. There are plenty of well known brands of SSDs that have warranties that are easy to use.
    Yup, I prefer and use the Samsung Evo IF I can find an affordable one. This HP jumped out at me at Newegg when I was making an order and it was half the price of comparable brands. Guess I got what I paid for.

Their printers have also gone down in quality. Big Time.

My sister bought a color lazer from them for her business and it has been in the shop more than it has been in her business.

ACC