Thread: Yesterday morning.....

Yesterday morning.....

I looked out of the window at my wildlife feeding area and saw this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006553.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	265525

Two metal garbage cans in which I keep food for the critters. One can has bags of sunflower seeds, the second has 5 lb. bags of peanuts in the shell and mixed birdseed. Both cans had been knocked over. The first had retained its lid, but the second had been opened and the contents raided. The handle was missing from the lid of the open can, and a neat hole punched in the lid near an edge.

Name:	IM006561.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	265527

A five pound bag of peanuts had been consumed, the critter's water tank drank dry, and the raider's calling card left nearby.

Name:	IM006554.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	265528 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006555.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	265529 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006559.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	265530

Conclusion: A bear. Frankly, I didn't know that they like peanuts. The cans have been unmolested for 3 years.... So, what to do? What to do? My first thought was to secure the lids with elastic cords, and as the day passed I rolled the idea around in my mind. It didn't seem to be an adequate defense against a determined bear. Somewhere during the day it slipped my mind, and when dusk had arrived had taken no action. I decided to put the cans on the front porch (also maybe not the best idea) and walked out to get them. As I rounded the corner of the house I came almost face to face with Mr. Bear who was confidently striding toward the cans. The instant that he saw me he turned and ran away into the trees. He was pretty with a shiny black coat and brown chest and belly. He was moving pretty fast. Wish I would have thought to take the camera, but actually meeting him, and so early in the evening was completely unexpected. Not too sure what happens next. I don't want to keep the cans on my porch.....

Boolit Mold
    Well, they like peanut butter so I guess peanuts are a good substitute. I think I would move those much farther away from the house....

Boolit Grand Master
    Not much will keep a bear from food. One of those job boxes contractors use to store tools would work. Not cheap though. Look on Craigslist for a used one.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

They are why I do not put any food type in my garbage. No trash collector so bags are basically dry stuff. I burn my cardboard. Food stuff I walk down to a deep gully and dump away from the house. Keeps the critters away from the house.

Boolit Master
    Brainstorming: hang them from a tree limb high enough that it can't reach it and the limb slim enough
    that he won't feel confident enough to go out on it.
    Maybe hang the cans from a pulley and tie it off high on the tree as you can reach.

Boolit Master
    55 gallon drum with band clamp to hold lid on might just work

Boolit Master
    Someone I once knew told me of what his Eagle Scout troop would do when camping in black bear bear country way back when he was young and indestructible. Their food was tied up in duffle bags and suspended some 20’ off the ground between two trees, such that the food couldn’t be reached by a bear climbing either tree. He said bears were seen to climb the trees and do all they could to try to snag the line, but were unsuccessful. I don’t know if your situation allows for some similar arrangement, but the determination bears will exhibit can be impressive. I suspect that, with the scent suspended off the ground, the food would be harder to locate and may remain unmolested. I’m no expert on things like this, I’m just thinking out loud.

I do appreciate the comments and ideas. It's been a week now, and no further sign of the bear. I really do like the 55 gal. drum with band idea, but since I get into these cans daily to feed the birds and critters it seems impractical to deal with the band. And, although I know bears have trouble getting at things that are suspended above their reach, that would be a bit hard to deal with also. So, for lack of any inspiration, and perhaps due to laziness, I've returned the cans to their former locations to get them off my porch. So far, so good. Like I said, they weren't bothered for the previous 3 years. Hopefully this guy was just passing through. I have very few neighbors, widely spaced, and none of them have been bothered, so maybe I'll get lucky. One thing is for certain, when the bear saw me he ran away so fast that I'm glad he was leaving instead of chasing, because there is no way I could ever outrun him, probably not even back to the porch! If he comes back for seconds I'll update the thread. Thanks, all.

Boolit Master
    If it were me I'd wire the cans to a fence charger and set the cans on a wood base. Works to keep dogs from tipping the garbage cans. It would probably work the same for a bear.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

We use solar fence chargers around our bee hives but doesnt stop all the bears.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

In Maine the bears would steal bird feeders in the spring. I had a friend who found bear paw prints on a window to his house next to the bird feeders. A house near a field I deer hunted had a problem bear that would get into the garage when it was left open and raid the freezer; took care of him one evening when he crossed the field in front of me while I was sitting on my stand. I would keep the food in a locked garage and just carry or wheelbarrow what I needed to fill the feeding station. Hopefully the bear respects your garage and doesn't damage it, when they want something they can be persistent.