Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Rang him yesterday. He is still in Hospital.
    Anti-biotics intravenously. some sort of small bowel infection. They didn't kill it the first time and it flared up again.

So the old coot is still there for probably another week.
    He was having a huge whinge about how many orders he has to fill when he gets back to work.
    Glad they still haven't managed to knock him off. I hope he gets better soon.

Seems we can't make him happy with orders, there is no winning some times

Boolit Bub
    G'day. They should be still wet when you dump them from the swirl bucket onto the tray.
    Thank you. That makes sense. I was trying to spread the mixture out more. Light gold on silver seems hard to detect. The directions does say 15-20 seconds. I was probably going twice that long.

Boolit Master
    You'll get the hang of it the more you use it. Don't be afraid to add more acetone to smoothen them out if you let it get too dry. If you dump them out and they are bumpy, there is no problem scooping them up and adding acetone to dissolve the coating and letting it smoothen out before dumping out again.

As Ausglock said, drop them while still wet.

kcofohio;

At the risk of adding to your confusion, you can also tumble in a closed container. It keeps the acetone from evaporating quickly. But be warned this is not an accepted practice by some.

The last two times I have coated I've added additional acetone and almost always closed tumbled. I tumble for about 30 seconds. Makes it easier to dump wet and covers the groves and hollow points a little better. Not that that last one matters much to performance of the coating.

Tazza is right, you'll get the hang of it. Lots of help here.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 07-22-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Bub
    Thank you! I added more acetone and swirled for 15 seconds. They came out much smoother. 3 coats are pretty even in color.
    It's getting use to not being able to visually detect much of the coating until after baking.

The first time I baked some according to directions I didn't think that I had enough on them. So, knowing little about the coating at that time, I tried to turn it into a jacket. That was a mistake that caused me to have to remelt about 10 pounds of .45 bullets. This stuff is a great heat shield if left thin. I have shot .308s with one coat and no leading. But most of my bullets get three coats.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    A little alcohol will also slow down the drying out while tumbling and also makes for a smoother coating. As Joe and Ausglock have often said, the first coat is the important one and should be just a light stain. If you do put a little too much on in first coat just put a few uncoated in the bucket with some acetone and re tumble the over coated cast again. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Just did my first batch of Tru Blue. Did some testing trying to work out time and temp. I'm at 5 minutes at 375F. They passed smash test. The picture below makes them look more blue than they are in person. Even at that short a time and low a temp they still turned a little turquoise. You can see in some of the lube grooves it got really green. There's a mix of bullets coated once and some twice in the pic below

Last edited by asmith80; 07-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    They do look pretty good, a little thinner coat o adding a few ml extra acetone when you dump them to swirl may help get the lube grooves, i know it doesn't matter, but i like to have mine coated, and a little extra acetone and 3 coats and they are a uniform colour.

Hopefully you can get your temp and time just right to get them the blue you want, the pic does show a nice blue.

asmith80
    Did they pass the wipe test?

Boolit Buddy
    They did, but I tried a batch today at 6 minutes and 30 seconds and they look identical. I may stay with 6:30 just for the extra piece of mind

Boolit Master
    Well....Say hello to HITEK Kinky Pink.

It is experimental at this stage.
    Joe is trying to tweak it to have a metallic component to make it sparkle...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Cant wait to try pink out. All the boys will be jealous.

Boolit Master
    That looks really good, sadly i have no clothes that would go with it, so i'll stick to red and black

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Cant wait to try pink out. All the boys will be jealous.
    Making some 122FP for Terrence S. Might do them in Pink to match his Unicorn....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    That looks really good, sadly i have no clothes that would go with it, so i'll stick to red and black
    I for one am glad to hear that LOL. If only my Gran daughter was old enough to shoot. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    He tried to rope me into casting all that lead last year. Id still be doing it if I said yes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    He tried to rope me into casting all that lead last year. Id still be doing it if I said yes.
    hahahahaha... Tried it with me too... Told him I don't cast with Mystery Metal.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Well....Say hello to HITEK Kinky Pink.

It is experimental at this stage.
    Joe is trying to tweak it to have a metallic component to make it sparkle...
    Nice! That almost has a more opaque white base look to it. Is that so?

Boolit Master

I love it.

I make those and load them up. Put 'em in a can and those are the ones my buddies will have to shoot!
    NRA Benefactor.