WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquired 400 pounds of raw lead, looking to start making 45 acp

Boolit Mold

Question Acquired 400 pounds of raw lead, looking to start making 45 acp

New user here.

400 pounds of lead sheets, ingots, fishing weights, etc
    I think they are all on the purer side of things, they are really soft.
    I’m looking to make 45 acp and I tried making some the other day
    They feel too soft for 45, I need to add some antimony or lead as I understand
    Do I need a hardness tester?
    This is a 230 grain mold but I’m getting 239 grains and 242 grains consistently. 3/4 are 239. Is that ok?
    Should I quench them?
    What imperfections are acceptable? I have some that look like someone indented them with a thumb nail and that’s it. Send it?
    How do I know when I’ve made bullets worth shooting?

First, where are you located? You may be able to hook up with someone near you who can walk you through the basics.

Next do a search for:From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners. Print it out and read it.

This will probably answer most if not all your questions.

Any more questions, try searching, the search function on here is very good. Try several formats of your search string, you will come across threads that will answer your questions or give you answers to questions you didn't know you needed to ask.

Good luck.

And hit the threads on pewter/tin. Pretty important alloying metal. Stupid expensive to purchase it out right.

Tin can be aquired as pewter pretty cheaply as pewter candle sticks/mugs/knick knacks at thrift stores, garage sales or purchased here in the swappin'and selling thread much cheaper than retail.

Boolit Master

Welcome to CastBoolits, evand848, you've just started into a very interesting hobby, for sure!

Your pure lead will work just as it is for 45 ACP, but it would be nice to have some tin, say a 30:1 alloy. That little bit of tin will allow your alloy to fill out your mold very nicely. You can find pure metals at Roto Metals (they're a site sponsor, look at the very top of the page), they also have alloys suitable for casting and mixing your own alloys. Also check out the Swaping & Selling section once you've accumulated enough posts and membership days (I think it's still 30 + 30). There's usually casting alloy for sale. If you're only casting for the 45 ACP you won't need any antimony in the mix; If it's already in there, that's fine, but it won't be necessary at these velocities. Here's a really good read on the subject by a true expert in the field:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Put on some coffee, this'll take a while to get through!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Soft is OK for .45. The store bought swaged ones are more or less pure lead anyway.

Get a Lyman Cast Bullet book.
    The front section of it will answer about any and all questions you'll have about the finer points of casting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    First, where are you located? You may be able to hook up with someone near you who can walk you through the basics.

Next do a search for:From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners. Print it out and read it.

This will probably answer most if not all your questions.

Any more questions, try searching, the search function on here is very good. Try several formats of your search string, you will come across threads that will answer your questions or give you answers to questions you didn't know you needed to ask.

Good luck.
    Thank you, I’m in SF Bay Area

Boolit Buddy
    By adding tin your boolits will become a little harder and will come out closer to the mold weight. A hardness tester is great but not necessary for 45acp. A tester is a great tool for magnum or high power loads. By adding tin and quenching them will harden the mix for a good boolit. I mix my lead blend in 80# lots of ingots and test for hardness them mark the lot.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you everyone, this is definitely the info I needed. More replies welcome too!

Powder coat those puppies and use them as is.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I'm set up for using a lubrisizer and make my own Felix lube; but I have to admit if I were just starting out casting boolits now, I'd probably go with powder coating instead of lubing.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If your lead is pure, then they will NOT quench harden due to lack of antimony. But many times scrap lead is soft, but still workable for the 45 ACP. A more important factor at this point is the as cast diameter of your bullets. A micrometer is best for an accurate reading. And often times the casting will not be perfectly round, so take the readings at several locations using the mold seam mark on the casting to verify the diameter and that the blocks are in alignment.That can be a common problem sometimes over looked. Welcome to the forum, a lot of great information and helpful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Evand848 View Post
    Thank you, I’m in SF Bay Area
    Your in luck. You live next door to Roto-metals. Get some super hard, store pick up and no shipping cost.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo 5959 View Post
    Your in luck. You live next door to Roto-metals. Get some super hard, store pick up and no shipping cost.
    Yep! Get some tin too. 1.5-2% antimony and 1% tin should get you there.

I use 3.5% antimony and 1% tin for magnum loads.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 07-25-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Evand848 View Post
    New user here.

This is a 230 grain mold but I’m getting 239 grains and 242 grains consistently. 3/4 are 239. Is that ok?
    Should I quench them?
    Welcome to the group first of all.
    Those weights you are seeing are a very good indication that what you have is pretty near pure lead and as mentioned adding tin will lighten it up. Quenching them will have no effect.

Boolit Master
    The fillout on the base is most important but you will learn. Somewhere here is a sticky article by Glen Fryxell called from ingot to target or something like that. Lyman cast bullet book is good to have. Be sure to read safety information.
    Welcome

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Yep! Get some tin too. 1.5-2% antimony and 1% tin should get you there.

I use 3.5% antimony and 1% tin for magnum loads.
    I use this mix for my 45acp. That equates to 50% COWW + 50% soft lead and then add 1% tin/pewter. You can leave off the added tin/pewter by turning the alloy temp up but at a SLIGHT loss of bullet diameter.

For 9mm, magnum, and lower velocity rifle I use COWW + 2% tin/pewter which is real close to Mal Paso's recipe.

You can buy superhard, or any of the type metals and cut it to the 1.5-2% antimony with you Pb and add a little tin/ pewter to help fillout and durability. Being ductile sure helps when the bullet is making all those changes as it is forced through the bore.

Boolit Master
    Second belated welcome!

I will also second or third the idea that you just go into powder coating straight away!

PC will allow softer slugs to work than lubing them. There will be a learning curve but it does not strain a fellow too much.

If you need to size just go with the Lee push die that goes in your reloading press though and pass on a lubrisizer for now. You will have more leverage (if that is needed) than you can ever subject say a Lyman 450 to etc.

Until you get comfortable with PC .... just source your powder from fellow member “Smoke” who is a vendor. He only sells proven powders and is plenty competitive as to price. When you factor in frustration with this cheap powder or that one that fizzles, you are way better off buying from Smoke and enjoy “tearless” powder coating!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

When beginning any new hobby/undertaking, I suggest K.I.S.S.. There is nothing wrong with learning to cast plain old lead bullets and using a simple traditional lube. Actually I think is better to learn to cast plain old lead bullets successfully before going to PCing. For info on alloys/alloying check the sub forum "Lead and Lead Alloys" http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...nd-Lead-Alloys. There are a few simple methods to check alloy hardness and exacting foundry quality measurements aren't necessary, so many use the "lead pencil method" and Lees's simple tester. Exacting alloy formula isn't needed either and you can get by for most of your casting with just adding some wheel weight alloy and/or tin to your lead.

I started with an old Lee pan lube/sizer kit and tumble lubing with alox. For some reason I never got a lubersizer I guess because pan lubing and dip lubing in 45-45-10 have been quite sufficient for my needs (I rarely process more than 150 bullets at a time).

I have 4, 45 ACP molds and my favorites are a Lyman 225 RN, and a Lee 200 gr. SWC and I've been casting them with my "mystery metal" for many years (BHN approx. 11) with no need for any harder bullets.

I once read somewhere; "The only way to learn to cast bullets, is to cast bullets". So, practice, practice, practice and keep notes about what yer doin' so ya can do it again.....
    My Anchor is holding fast!