Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally, my first 1911 is in my hands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Congratulations to the OP on starting down the slippery slope... here’s hoping the bindings are tight on your skis! Currently I have three 45s, a hardball gun built for me by an old Navy gunsmith on an original 1911 frame, a custom fitted Series 70 Gold Cup upper married to an Ace frame from the same vintage, and a full custom “Fat Bottomed Girl” built on one of the last of the steel framed Para Ord kit frames from back in the ‘90s. I’ve owned nines and 38 Supers and even had a 38 Spl version at one time, but keep coming back to 45s and have never really been tempted by the 10 mm/40 S&W breed. I may have to change that some day just for the sake of completeness.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I think .45s will beget .45s. You'll have to leave one of the .45s in the dark with a 9mm to get a .38 Super .......
    Darn. Guess I’ll have to by a 9mm 1911 then so I can breed for a 38 super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    Welcome to the brotherhood. It is a much better group than the followers of black plastic (just like the guns) lol. I have two right now, a full sized and a compact, both in 45 acp. Hopefully I can add a 38 super to the list some day. Maybe if I leave then both side by side in the safe this winter they will spawn me a 38 lol.

Ha!! My bid on a G34 fell through so I may have to go back to a 1911. Sold my old warhorse Trophy Match to my eldest and have been doing without. A full size steel 1911 is heavier than I want to carry but makes a great range tool. And they just beg for handloaded cast boolits.

Vendor Sponsor

There's a certain magic, a certain cadence if you will, that a full size stock Gov't model 45 1911-A1 gives off when it's fired, best experienced with stock recoil springs and GI hardball equivalent loads, it's lazy, almost rhythmical, but very pleasing to the hand and to the mind. Yes there are other calibers but everyone who delves into the 1911 ought to experience this at least once, it's pretty much the reference standard pistol for the 45ACP round.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I know what you mean Doug. Back in the day my uncle had twin Gold Cups that had been gone over by Robby Barkman (sp?). Had buried Bomars and Barstow barrels. And the triggers had what Robby called "good creep". Those were the first 1911 I ever shot and they really made an impression. We were shooting with the State Line Combat Pistol League at the time in Southern Wisconsin in about 1980. Was a whole lotta fun.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Ha!! My bid on a G34 fell through so I may have to go back to a 1911. Sold my old warhorse Trophy Match to my eldest and have been doing without. A full size steel 1911 is heavier than I want to carry but makes a great range tool. And they just beg for handloaded cast boolits.
    That’s why they make ultralight compacts. A little harder on the hands but a lot easier on the belt. My compact Colt will out shoot my full sized Springfield. Mostly because the Springfield Mil-Spec barrels are crap. I don’t compete though so I haven’t felt the need to replace it.

Happiness is a warm .45

Darn. Guess I’ll have to by a 9mm 1911 then so I can breed for a 38 super.

I've had a 1911 45scp and a 1911 9mm in the safe together for three years now. Still no 38super or other offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I've had a 1911 45scp and a 1911 9mm in the safe together for three years now. Still no 38super or other offspring.
    You’re probably opening the safe too often! Have ya tried a little “mood music”?
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Banned

both brotherhoods im proud to be members of. Niether one makes me better then the other.
    Welcome to the brotherhood. It is a much better group than the followers of black plastic (just like the guns) lol. I have two right now, a full sized and a compact, both in 45 acp. Hopefully I can add a 38 super to the list some day. Maybe if I leave then both side by side in the safe this winter they will spawn me a 38 lol.

Congrats on your first. JMB was the man. The trouble with 1911s is that they make or have made too many different ones. And they’re like potato chips, you just can’t eat just one or two. You gotta eat the whole bag. Think I’m up to 9.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlaw View Post
    You’re probably opening the safe too often! Have ya tried a little “mood music”?
    I was gonna suggest some Ol' Blue Eyes...... JS..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I think I will try taking them out of their boxes and laying them side by side in a velvet lined drawer all by themselves and see what happens.

When I did that with my 686 and model 15, I ended up with a model 34. Interesting how that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Music, soft lights, and a couple of cigarettes should do it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Took it out and shot it yesterday. 100% functioning with 2 boxes of plinking ammo (Speer Lawman and American Eagle) and some of my reloads using 180gr Hornady XTPs.

Didn't have time to go to my usual range with an indoor bench and official targets. Instead, just drove to a gravel pit a couple of miles out of town and drew some circles on a cardboard box. Mostly just a function test. Which it passed.

Only shot it off-hand at 10 yards.

It's going to take a bit of time to get used to the trigger, apparently. Or the pistol just isn't that accurate. Smallest 5 shot group was 1.5". Most of my other pistols will do 1" or less at that distance.

Attachment 263442
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Took it out and shot it yesterday. 100% functioning with 2 boxes of plinking ammo (Speer Lawman and American Eagle) and some of my reloads using 180gr Hornady XTPs.

Didn't have time to go to my usual range with an indoor bench and official targets. Instead, just drove to a gravel pit a couple of miles out of town and drew some circles on a cardboard box. Mostly just a function test. Which it passed.

Only shot it off-hand at 10 yards.

It's going to take a bit of time to get used to the trigger, apparently. Or the pistol just isn't that accurate. Smallest 5 shot group was 1.5". Most of my other pistols will do 1" or less at that distance.

Attachment 263442
    That isn’t bad for off hand on a target without much to aim at. I would imagine that you will have better results with a normal target. If it has combat sights then that is half of your problem. My Springfield Mil-Spec has fixed combat sights that are difficult to acquire and maintain unless the lighting is perfect. They are also large and make precise shooting difficult.

Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master
    I've owned about a dozen 1911 45s over the years and still have my SA Range Officer. Using them and my experience shooting the old Bullseye pistol game has led me to several conclusions on the 1911 platform and accuracy. First is that 85 to 90 % of the mechanical accuracy is in the fit of the barrel to the slide and lockup of the barrel to the frame in battery, the remainder is in slide to frame fit. Second is that in terms of practical accuracy 10-15% is in the sights, should be visible with a decent amount of light on either side of the front sight in the rear sight notch and if you want POA/POI to coincide adjustable sights are a good thing. After that trigger pull is critical, should be a clean break with little travel required for the trigger to move the sear and drop the hammer. I like a pull of about 4# with no creep or drag but exact weight is less important than having it crisp. A GOOD 1911 smith is your friend unless you are more skilled with tools than I am. I spent a lot of time on the range I belonged to in WI and don't know how many times a shooter would have a 1911 and tell me how good the trigger was, and believed it, until I let him shoot mine. We had a good 1911 smith nearby and suspect I generated a lot of business for him.

Only other 1911 I have now is not a 45, but a Kimber conversion fitted to a stainless steel RIA frame. No idea as to RIA's reputation for quality but what decided me on this one was a smooth crisp trigger pull right out of the box. As a plus has an extended safety, checkered mainspring housing and a grooved front strap. The quality looks good when taken apart but I am no expert when it comes to judging such things. Time I suppose will tell. The 45 upper is in the box it came in and will likely stay there.