Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Fixed sight options

Banned

Fixed sight options

Been shooting my .44 Specials quite a bit lately. One of them is a Taurus, can't remember the model number, but a three inch, under lug barrel, pretty beefy little gun which has low profile fixed sights. I like it, but it hits way high with pretty much everything I shoot through it. I shoot a lot at about 20 yards here at the house and this one will group for me 6-8 inches above where the front sight picture is at that distance.

I'm already shooting a pretty lightweight bullet, 429215 with 6 1/2 grains of Unique. Even if I drop that charge, it still hits high for me. I need a taller front sight, but this one is part of the barrel and I'd imagine it would have to be ground off and something else welded on? I'm mainly a rifle shooter and never really looked into handgun sights much.

Boolit Master
    A quick calculation says that you need to raise the front sight about .025 inches. Can you glue a piece of sheet metal (J.B.Weld is your friend) onto the front sight? Then you could fine tune it with a file. If that works you could solder or weld it for a permanent installation.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    A quick calculation says that you need to raise the front sight about .025 inches. Can you glue a piece of sheet metal (J.B.Weld is your friend) onto the front sight? Then you could fine tune it with a file. If that works you could solder or weld it for a permanent installation.
    I thought about doing just that, but there really isn't much to attach it to, the front sight comes up to a small point. It really is designed kind of as a belly gun so as not to hang up on anything, even though it's too big and heavy for me to consider as a belly gun.

I think I'm gonna take a closer look at it and see if I cann arrange something like that, at least it would tell me what I could do.

Boolit Buddy
    What Plinker said. I used the "JB Weld" fix on a M10 Smith to change the poi and it worked very well. Just throw a gob of JBW on top of that front sight, trim it a bit with a file, dab it with a black "marks -a-lot" so it doesn't look quite so "goofy" and you're good to go! Hope this helps. Stan

Shoot light bullets.

"Dwell time" is going to work the same with your revolver.
    Last edited by Win94ae; 05-09-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added a video

Boolit Buddy
    Not trying to be a smart *** but maybe aim low? I like a 6o'clock hold on most of my guns that's what I used growing up. Whether I was hunting or just plinking I like to see more of the target. I've never been a fan of "taking a fine bead." YMMV ��*♂️

Boolit Grand Master
    A 180 grain boolit might just be your friend here. As I recall, that would be about 15% lighter than your 429-215. If you decide to go the JB weld route, drill a couple of small (1.0-1.5 mm) holes in the sight to help anchor the epoxy to the sight. Then, once it dries, file it to shape and desired height.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-13-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Not trying to be a smart *** but maybe aim low? I like a 6o'clock hold on most of my guns that's what I used growing up. Whether I was hunting or just plinking I like to see more of the target. I've never been a fan of "taking a fine bead." YMMV ��*♂️
    What I've been doing and works on a target range, but I don't want to be guessing "is that five inches low or six" when taking field shots, I want to hit where it's aimed.

I have the little Lee 200 grain round nose they used to make, and I'm pretty sure I have the Lyman 180 grain wadcutter mold, but I'd really like to be able to use 240-250 grain bullets like the cartridge is designed around.

Know anybody that's a good witha Tig welder ? Just build the top of the site up little more than you need and filed down to your pet load
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What I've been doing and works on a target range, but I don't want to be guessing "is that five inches low or six" when taking field shots, I want to hit where it's aimed.

I have the little Lee 200 grain round nose they used to make, and I'm pretty sure I have the Lyman 180 grain wadcutter mold, but I'd really like to be able to use 240-250 grain bullets like the cartridge is designed around.
    Point taken.