Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Sizing for Marlin 336

Boolit Bub

Sizing for Marlin 336

I just purchased a 1950 336SC 30-30 on Gunbroker that I should have in a couple weeks. For those of you with similar rifles, what do you size at? I've searched and it seems to vary anywhere between .308 and .311

Boolit Grand Master
    I use cast boolits in all my rifles, six of which are .30 caliber, two are 30/30's. All are sized .310 and work great.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Slug your gun!!!
    It can vary from .308-.311.
    Every gun is different

My is Micro in 30-30 and I size to .310 on it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

KevH, I tried sizing CB's from .309" - .311", but found the #336 (Microgroove rifling) was most accurate with CB's sized to .310". Moreover, my gun was especially accurate with Ly. #311466 and Saeco #315.
    Last edited by Maven; 04-25-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Both 0.309" and 0.310" shoot very accurately in my Marlin.

I size to whatever is a slip fit in a fired case. Depends on the individual rifle but is usually .311" to .313"

Your rifle will have Ballard rifling and anything .309 - .311 should work fine.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    In my 30 cals, 30-30 Marlins, Micrgroove and Ballard; 303, 308, 300 Savage 99's , I start with a .310, which usually works fine, I might try a .311 or .309 just to fuss/tweak but the .310's work - under 2" at 100 yards, mostly better than that. (scoped)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Your rifle will have Ballard rifling and anything .309 - .311 should work fine.

Jedman
    What Jedman said.
    Maineboy

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a Marlin 336SC in 30-30 - mine was a 1949 - a great rifle and a good shooter. All I shot was cast - from 115 grain, 155 grain to 170ish grain - plain base and gas checked over Red Dot. I didn't push them hard. I also had a Winchester 94 Ranger at the same time. For me, in my two rifles, I found that boolits that were sized to .309 shot the best. I tumble lubed in alox and paste wax - never had a leading issue but again, I wasn't pushing them hard - shooting out to around 100 yards and was very accurate with the peep sight that was on it (an add on at some point in its life). It was a great "waffle top"! I down sized as I got older and since I no longer hunt, sold both of the rifles. I kind of regret letting the 336SC go. I will also add that I never slugged either of my 30-30 bores. Good luck with your new rifle - you'll love it!

.310 has worked well for me. Though, if you're going to go with a Lee push through sizer, you kinda stuck with .311.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I had a Marlin 336SC in 30-30 - mine was a 1949 - a great rifle and a good shooter. All I shot was cast - from 115 grain, 155 grain to 170ish grain - plain base and gas checked over Red Dot. I didn't push them hard. I also had a Winchester 94 Ranger at the same time. For me, in my two rifles, I found that boolits that were sized to .309 shot the best. I tumble lubed in alox and paste wax - never had a leading issue but again, I wasn't pushing them hard - shooting out to around 100 yards and was very accurate with the peep sight that was on it (an add on at some point in its life). It was a great "waffle top"! I down sized as I got older and since I no longer hunt, sold both of the rifles. I kind of regret letting the 336SC go. I will also add that I never slugged either of my 30-30 bores. Good luck with your new rifle - you'll love it!
    Thank you sir! If you don't mind me asking, what loads did you use with Red Dot? I've got a ton of the stuff since I use it for most of my pistol loads.