Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pitbull #4

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Pitbulls are fun and cuddly until they're not.
    True over and again. If I want something around that bites I'll raise an alligator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Wen I was a kid, St Bernards were common, then they kinda disappeared. I heard that they were bred so close that they became too aggressive. I'm starting to see more of them lately - maybe they unbred the aggressiveness out of them.

Boolit Master

Yes fun and cuddly till they are not just like a lot of different breeds I have been around , even little ones can be fuzzy and cute and then go on a full out attack , in the end all dogs are capable of it , pits got the bad luck of to many people breeding for the mean side , coupled with raising them to be that way , have seen trained dogs turn in a second , had a good friends big dog do that bit my arm once and knocked him out of the way to attack me a second time , he was 6'7" and no slouch , and I was in another room working on his computer , have a mix pit of the daughters , sweet and nice right up till it feels someone is threatening the kids then it is ready to defend with its life my daughters dog , I have no use for any dogs any more good ones die sooner or later and a bad one I will not tolerate .

I've been around dogs that are evil just like people. Horses too. Absolutely untrustworthy. The animal I've learned to absolutely fear are dairy bulls. You or.someone raises them from birth then All of a sudden it'll maim or kill its owner or some kid cutting through the cowyard.
    I didn't mean to say all pits are good. There is nothing in earth that.doesn't produce a bad seed.

Boolit Buddy
    My neighbor has three pitbulls and they are the most cuddly sweet dogs I've ever met.

Boolit Master
    I saw this cow in North Dakota a few summers ago. You grow them big out there. I think her name is Sue.

Boolit Master

Pitbull threads are worse than political threads.

Both sides have tons of anecdotal evidence and experiences that mean little to nothing.

I had a pit/lab mix that was a great dog and loved my kids. No issues up to the day I had to have him put to sleep at 15 years old. I have friends who have pits that scare the crap out of me and are ticking time bombs.

There's hundreds of stories of pitbull varieties being sweet for years then suddenly going nuts and killing the owner or their kids. Nobody thinks their dog is capable, until it is.

But, the hard reality of math and statistics bear out that pitbulls are aggressive and dangerous animals in general. Most insurance companies will not give you a homeowner's policy if you have a "dangerous breed" for a pet.

https://einhorninsurance.com/dangero...ity-insurance/

According to most insurance companies, the following are the more common “Dangerous Breeds” or “Blacklisted Breeds”:

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
    Doberman Pinschers
    Rottweilers
    Chows
    Great Danes
    Presa Canarios
    Akitas
    Alaskan Malamutes
    German Shepherds
    Siberian Huskies
    Wolf-hybrids
    Or a mix of any of the above
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

son in law has 3 of them. All nice dogs. All play well with my lab. Matter of fact ive never heard them growl. Worse dogs in my opinion are the little dogs, "ankle biters" they my not have the strength to hurt you but they can be mean little buggers. Worse dog ive personaly saw was a wiener dog my neighbor had. It would attack me or anyone else that they let through the door. They had to put that dog down. Even my lab will scare anyone who comes in the yard. He doesn't like strangers and will put on a good show. He allways stops short of biting but most get the heck out of the yard before they find out. We had to put in one of those in ground dog wire fences and he wears a colar. So he doesn't leave the yard. I figure come into my yard univited and take your chances. Ive had labs for 30 years. This one is the only one like that but the odd thing is if he knows you like my neighbors or family he is the most loving cuddly dog ive ever had. Used to find this trait in him a pain in the but. But since the virus crap its not a bad thing that he chases people away and lets you know without a doubt someone just pulled up even if hes indoors. I think the pit bull thing is way overblown. Biggest problem seems to be the they tend to be the dog of choice of idiots and people that like them to be aggressive and they aren't trained from a pup to be a nice dog. Im sure somewhere theres many people that have been bit by the breed you have too and would like to see them banned too. If I walked a route that had my dog attacked more then once I think id rethink where im walking. Got to say I walk with my dog in the woods all the time and the chance im going to run into a pit bull in the woods is about as great as me running into a cape buffalo.

Boolit Master
    Seems to be a mix of the breed and the owner is the root of the problem. If the owner shouldn't really have a dog but it is a miniature poodle one drop kick solves the problem. Note that even a couple of the pit lovers posted on this thread have said things like "have three - one likes to fight but I control him" type comments. Now match that dog with the poodle owner...

Boolit Master
    Rethink where I walk? I walk only in the woods and I sure as hell won't change my routine just because a bunch of people didn't do their research when they bought the friggin' dogs and don't know how to handle them. I like dogs, I used to give Pitbulls the benefit of the doubt but, as posted, can't argue with math and statistics.
    Go into an animal shelter/rescue around here and the majority of the dogs are Pitbulls or Pitbull mixes. I'm sure the people who got them got great advice from "doggy experts" when they got them initially: "Oh, sure, Pitbulls have a bad rap, but go ahead, get that Pitbull, they're loving and cuddly and great with kids. Or, maybe you could get that cute little cougar in that other cage."

"I had a .38 during the worst attack, but what do you do if you're in a park, with kids around, and...AND...in Massachusetts. I have a collapsible baton, mace, walking stick (I broke a metal hiking stick over the worst Pitbull's head - nothing). I also broke the owner's finger when I pulled its collar and her finger was in the way."

How is Mass. on knives? If the pit had hold of your dog could you cut him loose? Couple of stabs between the ribs collapse both lungs fight is over.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

We have socially removed canine social behavior, our pets no longer know how to behave with other dogs.In particular city,urban dogs that are only accustomed to what they learn to live with.
    There’s a organization in TX that teaches dogs social behavior and excellent training methods regardless of the age or breed or the dogs problems. The problem the O.P. has observed is a dog and owner not in sync with the dogs development. Dogs are social animals with a code of behavior that will allow them to cooperate and be good dogs to everyone and every dog. I will find the name of the organization in TX, very worthwhile to learn some of the techniques.

I have had similar experiences here in Wyoming, you will never have a problem with a ranchers dog doing his job moving cows, he is focused and pays you no attention. The flat landers bring their unsocialized dogs to the mountains and turn them loose on the trails. Dog gets out ahead of the owners and bumps into you and gets nasty, owners have zero control. You and your dog are foreign and a threat to the unsocialized dog. I have had more than one experience with nasty dogs in the hills. I have defended my dog and myself from nasty dogs.
    I have been told by USFS and local Sheriff I have every right to shoot the nasty unsocialized flat landers dog that poses a eminent threat to me or my dog.

No bad dogs,bad owners

Boolit Master
    How is Mass. on knives? If the pit had hold of your dog could you cut him loose? Couple of stabs between the ribs collapse both lungs fight is over.
    I have replayed that attack over and over in my head and it will not happen again. I carry a knife, a baton (sometimes), Mace (might be useless), and of course the .38.
    The mentality in MA is different from, say, Wyoming, or even neighboring NH. I was told that I shouldn't let the wolf hybrid run in the NH woods because if it "ran a deer" it could be shot. One time, when the wolf was 15, he got loose and was wandering around downtown (MA). The local Doggy Officer "arrested" him and told me that she could shoot that wolf on sight (I was a cop at the time - coulda been a problem). I paid a fine, got the wolf back, then I called the MA Environmental Police (they issued the permit for the wolf) and they told me that THEY could shoot him on sight but the local doggy officer had absolutely no jurisdiction over the wolf, and she never should have "apprehended" him. So they called the Doggy Officer and reamed her for overstepping her bounds.
    The unneutered wolf had his way with a young Yellow Lab that I had just rescued, and, yep, they had a puppy. I brought the puppy to my vet. He asked me if the wolf was the father, and when I said yes he said he had to put the puppy down (you can't breed them). He told me to bring the puppy to another vet and don't mention who the father was. That great dog lived another 16 years.
    Yet, there's no restrictions on Pitbulls.

Vendor Sponsor
    I have an American Bulldog mix that is a sweet heart with people but not so much with other dogs. He is good until the other dog does something aggressive or one of my other dogs starts growing at the newcomer. If either of those two things occur it flips him into a protection mindset and he is like a whole different dog. It is entirely my fault, I didn’t socialize him much with other dogs as a puppy. If I take him on a walk he wears a BEEFY harness with a solid leash instead of the retractable kind. He does pretty well on a leash but I wouldn’t let him just roam the neighborhood unattended. I keep him on a short lease while walking. I’m not worried about him attacking a person (half the neighborhood scratches his ears when they walk by the fence) but I would hate for him to get hold of a small dog. That said, even in full protection mode, if I bark no at him with real authority he will back down. I still wouldn’t take him anywhere around other dogs without a leash. You have to know your dog and know it’s limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master

Yep dog threads just like cat threads seem to get the opposite reactions from people , have no dog in the fight myself , wont have a unsocial animal at all , dad did not put up with animals that had unruly dispositions did not matter if it was cat dog horse or cow , some got ate and others used for fertilizer , I have seen people get more emotional over a animal then a human priority is a little off there .

Boolit Master

It is not the breed, it is the people attracted to the breed. I remember when Doberman Pinschers were the worst dogs out there. Then it was rottweilers. Now it is pitbulls. These breeds were all procured by the same types of people because they had the image of toughness.

My family has had pit bulls for the last 20+ years. We have never had a problem with them being aggressive. In fact, they are too friendly.

Boolit Master
    My family has had pit bulls for the last 20+ years. We have never had a problem with them being aggressive]
    That's because you're the right type of person to have a Pitbull. I see people around here that can't even control their kids and they think they can control a Pitbull.

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Yep dog threads just like cat threads seem to get the opposite reactions from people , have no dog in the fight myself , wont have a unsocial animal at all , dad did not put up with animals that had unruly dispositions did not matter if it was cat dog horse or cow , some got ate and others used for fertilizer , I have seen people get more emotional over a animal then a human priority is a little off there .
    Same here. 1000%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The owners of pitbulls will tell you they have the Gandhi of pitbulls. Everyone else knows differently. I never let my guard down around one.

Imho the worst are chows
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Had many occasion to deal with Pitt's and other dogs over my career. On one raid a Sgt was bitten high on the inner thigh by a pitt and it wouldn't let go. He shot the dog several times with his .38 with no effect. One of his shots even entered his own leg. The only way the dog was taken off was with the raid maul. I'm a dog lover and my Shepard is the most spoiled thing on 4 feet. On the job I was required to put down a lot of dogs and the handgun was always the least effect method.