Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40 s&w to 44 boolits?

Thanks for the info. About moving the pot, I meant to put it on a work table I have next to my forge and anvil. I use the table for setting hot horseshoes to cool. It was made specifically to hold hot stuff. Then I would move the mold under the pour spout like any other mold. I cast 12 at a time, then backpunched them out. used a 24 inch board.
    I tried it last night after I posted that reply. It worked great. I used pure lead and the weight was very consistent. I dont have a core mold, yet... I wanted to get something going with what was laying around just to be doing something on the project. I had another question though. I made some 30-06 cases into 44 cases using my 44 sizing die. The 30-06 is rimless. Is there anything I need to do to headspace them correctly for a revolver?? They came out really nice and fit perfectly. I just dont know if they will push in the cylinder or out when fired. I am new to the whole process here, not just swaging and casting. I have only been reloading for a year or so. So I am still green in a lot of area's. Thanks for the patience and help. Joel.... P.S. To answer your question,I have a virtually unlimited supply of pure lead.....

Vendor Sponsor

Joel

I'm starting to get jellous. Unlimited supplies! If you tell us you have unlimited time on your hands.... well I don't know what I'll do. Glad the cores worked for you. What weight did thay come out at? Were do I get an unlimited supply of pure lead from?

More latter,

Brian

Vendor Sponsor

So has anyone had any luck with the project?

Joel, afraid I don't know how to help you with your 44 rimless headspace problem. The 44 Auto Mag pistol I shoot was made for the 30-06 case cut down for 44. So basicly a 44 rem mag rimless. If you do figure it out though maybe you could tell me how to alter a lever action to fire my rimless 44 mag rounds as I have alot and no point waring out a collectors item.

Good shooting,

Brian

Boolit Buddy
    Joel,

BT Sniper has a 44 Automag that uses a specialized cartridge. It's a 30-06 (0r 308) rifle case cutoff, and inside neck reamed to accept a 44 mag bullet (as the case is too thick). You need a special case forming and reaming die set for the 44 Automag.

THE OUTSIDE CASE DIMENSIONS ARE DIFFERENT. You cannot fire a 44 Automag in a 44 Magnum Revolver, nor vice versa. The Cartridges are different, they do not interchange!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Exactly what j4570 said.

I would still like a riffle to shoot my 44 AMP cartridge through. Any Ideas? I was thinking a short action reciever with .429 barrel chamber reamed to 44AMP.

Shot more of the coustom thin brass jacket bullets yesterday. Very goud groups. Shot one through 4 milk jugs of water and still kept going. Will post some pics latter.

Good shooting,

Brian

Vendor Sponsor

Any one shot these 40 S&W bullets from the 444 marlin or any thing else than 44 mag pistol?
    Joel what was that cartridge you were talking about shooting these through?
    I'll get out soon to shoot these bullets as I think I may have figured out a final design.
    I'll post some more pics as soon as I download from camara.

Good shooting

Boolit Bub
    This may be totally out of line, but how about 10mm brass for some real "heavies"?

captainkirk

Vendor Sponsor

Not out of line at all. Have made 280 froam 40 S&W would imagine 10mm might go 350. Try to find 10mm brass is the trick.

My 40s&w projectiles came outa the barrel ok,no sights on the rifle,Fired three,but I hit the paper twice at 25 yards.Nice neat holes.Projectiles weight 314gns Powder charge 46gns ADI 2209.Man,what a healthy push!Now to anneal before any more are made.
    Lionel

Vendor Sponsor

Lionel,

Nicely done. I take it was from your 444 Marlin. Must be about a 245 grain core. What did you use for a mold. Did that cap off the 40S&W case after you seated the core. I'll have to look it up but what do guess for a velocity. I'll bet it would thump some of those roos you have running (I mean bouncing) around down there. I take it you annealed those first 3 bullets too, right?

Let us know how the continued project goes for you.

Who will be the first to try out these bullets on game? Has it been done allready? I think Joel may be thinning some of the hogs out in Ga. soon. Ground squirrles will be out soon here in Oregon. I doubt I would be able to recover a bullet though.

Later,

Brian

Hey brian I am going to send you a pm tonight. I will have that stuff in the mail by the end of the week . Take care bro. Joel

444m on a smle action.No annealing yet,just placed a cast 358 projectile (ww) out of a hock nose pour mold and formed in the die.Nose formed with a bit of lead showing.Need to make a core seater.Will try to borrow a camera.Have learned a lot since I started this post.
    Thanks folks.Straight military wood work with brass butt plate aint my idea of fun!
    Lionel

Boolit Master
    I had another question though. I made some 30-06 cases into 44 cases using my 44 sizing die. The 30-06 is rimless. Is there anything I need to do to headspace them correctly for a revolver??
    Um, best way I can relate to this is have one of the makers of moon clips make you up some custom. TK Custon or Hearthco can likely make clips for you (if they don't already have them). You may need to have your cylinder cut for moon clips (Cylinder and slide will do that) if there isn't enough relief for them.

Vendor Sponsor

Didn't think about moon clips. I think that could work.

Thanks, I'll pass on the info,

brian

Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    Um, best way I can relate to this is have one of the makers of moon clips make you up some custom. TK Custon or Hearthco can likely make clips for you (if they don't already have them). You may need to have your cylinder cut for moon clips (Cylinder and slide will do that) if there isn't enough relief for them.
    I thought of that before I wrote that post. A buddy of mine was looking at it and brought it up. Dont really think it is worth it. Toyed with the idea for a few days......We'll see. it would be handy though.
    Last edited by acemedic13; 02-07-2009 at 05:40 AM.