RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bench mounted priming tool

Boolit Master

If I have to prime a lot of cases I usually use the RCBS bench priming tool. It is a great tool. I keep it bolted to my bench and remove the long operating handle and store it during times I don't use it. It does not get in my way and has earned a permanent place on my bench. The only problem I can see with it is if your need to remove the primer tube before it is empty, how do you do it without making a mess with loose primers? I think surely someone has figured out how to "stop the primer flow" in these situations. I sure would like to hear about it if you have come up with a solution.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Munt it on a board so it can be removed from the bench. Hold the tube in place and turn the tool upside down so primers slide back up tube.
    When you only plan to prime less cases than a tube holds only put in the amount you need.
    Leo

Munt it on a board so it can be removed from the bench. Hold the tube in place and turn the tool upside down so primers slide back up tube.
    When you only plan to prime less cases than a tube holds only put in the amount you need.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

Got a nice angle block made today for it and finished, mounted the bench prime on it and have it clamped in the vise to try here shortly. I like the way t looks and feels so far. I could see a light spring and plunger under handle to hold it in the up position so all that was needed was a down push on it. And possibly a stop to limit down travel

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    For anyone looking to buy a RCBS bench mount priming tool. You might check with Midway. They have a lot of stuff from RCBS on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have and use three of the RCBS bench mounted units. Darrel Holland -- https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/par...cessories.html -- has his Perfect Priming System which -- if not, is pretty durned close . I bought his add-on's to make one from an existing RCBS unit. If nothing else, his spring which raises the handle is, imho, worth its weight in gold! Attachment 249897 If one is really OCD to get as close to 100% repeatable, accurate loads -- the Holland system is the way to go.
    geo
    Yes, I have heard a few complain about the lack of a spring on the RCBS tube model. The APS model with it's universal case feeder doesn't have that problem and is what I use and love. IMO it is a combination of best features of other systems.

1. A spring in the handle raises it to the starting position for the next primer and advances to the next operation.
    2. The APS strips automatically advances one primer at a time, and primers are separate, so there is at most a chance of one or two primers to light up following a misfeed....instead of the possibility of a whole tube of primers lighting up at once.

Of course there is the necessary loading of primers into strips with an APS loader in 25 primers per strip. Strips daisy chain together....as one gets close to the end you just add another strip. Loading 100 primers into 4 strips takes about the same time as pecking a tube of 100 full....except that you can keep going and fill box after box of stripped primers and be able to store them as safely as primers in their factory boxes. (Nobody would advise buying and loading 10 tubes and storing them in that state.)

If there is any flaw it would be the little plastic primer guide, that centers upcoming primers to the brass above. They can get lost or even wear out. When you go from large to small primers you change priming rod size an the guide size. I would recommend customers call RCBS and request a few extra guides....supplied at no charge.
    Last edited by GWS; 07-14-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Master

I use mine, mounted on a board BTW, to fully seat primers.

After loading the ammo it goes in boxes bullet end down. That way I can run by finger and look at each primer. High ones go in the RCBS to get fully seated. Like the feel of the tool
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS tube fed has worked great for many years now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I use mine, mounted on a board BTW, to fully seat primers.

After loading the ammo it goes in boxes bullet end down. That way I can run by finger and look at each primer. High ones go in the RCBS to get fully seated. Like the feel of the tool
    Ah, I never try to seat a primer deeper on a loaded round. If I miss a high primer once the bullet is seated I will pull the slug and dump the powder, seat that primer to my satisfaction and reinsert powder and reseat the bullet.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    I like the RCBS bench primer tool, that uses the regular primer tubes. I t has a great feel and strength.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs prime.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	264714
    I have this one I got at flea market for $1.00, seller did not know what it was. I mounted spring on top
    so handle returns up to make it easier to use

Boolit Master
    I would call that the buy of the year.

Boolit Grand Master
    I started with the Lee hand prime (round tray), went to the RCBS bench prime, then to the RCBS APS hand prime, on to the RCBS press mount APS, now I'm back to the Lee hand prime(round tray).
    The old RCBS bench prime had to be mounted on blocks, or at the edge of the bench.
    Handle goes down below the base.
    Did they change that on the new one???????
    RCBS APS hand prime was a little hard to squeeze.
    I like the universal shell holder on it.
    RCBS APS press mounted works great.
    I just wished it had the universal shell holder like the hand prime.
    Still use it when at the bench.
    Back to the Lee hand primer because it's the easiest to squeeze.

Boolit Master

The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool is a misnomer. There is only one aspect of the tool that approaches "automatic". Everything else is done MANUALLY.

In no way am I bashing this tool. I use it exclusively. It will outlast me. It's usefulness in my reloading regime is unquestioned. I offer the following with regard to "automation":

STEPS
    1.) load the primer tube MANUALLY - up to 100x MANUAL loads for a full tube.
    2.) load the primer tube onto the priming tool MANUALLY.
    3.) remove the retainer clip from the primer tube MANUALLY.
    4.) dispense from the primer tube to the primer plug:
    ......4a.) pull the handle up MANUALLY.
    ......4b.) push the handle down MANUALLY.
    5.) set a case in the holder MANUALLY.
    6.) seat a primer in the case:
    ......6a.) pull the handle up MANUALLY.
    ......6b.) push the handle down MANUALLY.
    7.) change from large to small diameter primer (or vice versa) MANUALLY.
    8.) adjust the primer plug for its depth of seating MANUALLY.

The unique "automation" in the out-of-the-box tool is the single primer delivery in step 4.) where cascade delivery is precluded by a spring and Stop Pin.

I modified the tool as an additional element of "automation" not provided by the Mfg. with a RETURN SPRING to raise the tool handle. This modification can be added in a number of different and - some more than others - complicated ways.

I also secured a piece of "softening" terry-cloth towel (multiple wraps) around the end of the handle as continuous pushing and pulling on the Mfg's hard rubber covering is tedious and sincerely VERY tiring against the hand. There is no loss of sensitivity from the towel, once you adjust to it - and adjust to it you will on your first 10 cases primed on your way to tens of thousands of primed cases.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 07-14-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.