Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: Storing molds?

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte

Storing molds?

Pulled an RCBS mold from my stash today in order to cast up some boolits for a trial tomorrow. I noticed a light rust in patches along the top of the mold and in the cavities. I then ran the mold across my brass brush on my grinder, heated, cast, and could find no real problems.
    Now, the mold was kept in the original box with the "oil" paper in it. The last it was used was about 2 months ago and was completely cooled before returning to the box.
    Question is, what do you fellas use to protect steel molds for long-term storage? I have WD-40 and Ballistol {all natural...great stuff for case lube}. Any other suggestions?
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Banned

any oil that won't degrade and will clean off easily..............i keep mine in the house.
    not in the basement either.

Boolit Buddy
    I spray mine with Rem oil with teflon and put them in a plastic zip sandwich bag.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Military ammo cans with a good seal, add decisacant pack, do not oil. Been doin it for over 30 years, no rust.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

+1 on the ammo can.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

I spray my moulds with WD-40 after each session, and then store them in plastic Lyman boxes that hold two 1 or 2 cavity moulds. My method keeps them clean, rust free and well protected. I don't consider having to wash my moulds with detergent and water before use to be a hindrance. It keeps me occupied while the pot heats up.

Boolit Man
    I suggest you try some Ed's Red bore cleaner/oil, with acetone and lanolin. It's easy to mix up and I've found it to be a great all around cleaner/lube for gun related activities. In fact I am thinking about using it to clean/lube my reloading dies after using Lee water-soluble bullet lube, to prevent rusting.

Cheers

Wd40

I know some people think WD40 is the body fluid from the devil, but it works fine for me. I let my moulds cool down, then I spray them with WD40 and put them into a plastic bag wrapped around the entire mould and handle, and hold it closed with a rubber band aound the bag. Do I know what is in the bag after six months? Nope. I just keep the ones I use all the time on one side and the others on the other side.
    I put them up on the shelf in an unheated (except for a propane heather when I am in there) shed and they keep just fine.
    Once a year or so I go through them and respray them just to look at each of them and fondle the moulds that I haven't touched in a while.
    ....as they say..........works for me!

I use Midway/FR Drop Out. Never had a mould rust when coated with this.......Creeker

Boolit Master

WD40 is a great product I keep between 3 and 5 gallons around the shop, but it is a solvent not a lubricant.

GI ammo cans have proved their worth over the years. Not long ago I was given a unopend GI can with Korean War era ammo in it. They were just the same condition as the day they were packed. If they didn't work, they would have been replaced long ago.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    I use something from Birchwood-Casey, can't remember it's name right now, I am at work, it smells like cosmoline but is very light, in a spray can. works great.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I would lube the sprue pivot bolt and any part(s) that moves with beeswax while it's still hot and store them in a ammo can with a good seal and add in a couple of vci chips.
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Boolit Grand Master

If you oil, use vci chips, in a good ammo can, you can store them in the creek. My basement floods every hard rain, and my molds have survived for 30+ yrs with no rust. I have big ammo cans for the (cooled) furnace and accessories.

Boolit Master
    I store my molds in plastic containers with air tight lids (rubbermaid type) with a Desiccant 40 gram Silica Gel pack to control humidity. The gel pack is tossed in the oven once a year to renew it.

If I know I'm not going to use a mold in the near future I spray it with Shooter's Choice rust prevent; I use this stuff for everything... dies, molds, parts, presses and sizers.

I get these items from Sinclair International; good people,

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

Boomer
    Last edited by Boomer Mikey; 06-12-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Master

GI Ammo can
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I use Bore Store bags from Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...471&t=11082005

Some folks say I am old fashioned , but i give them a light wipe with Hoppies gun oil and toss then in a old fishing box I use to store my molds, the oil burns off when you start casting the next time
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Boolit Buddy
    Shooters Choice Rust Prevent, store them in the original boxes if not on mold handles. I keep my handles and molds in an oak box, never had a problem. Before casting I spray them down with a good brake parts cleaner.
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for WD-40 and original box

Boolit Grand Master

I have oiled moulds for almost 40 years, never had one rust and never had trouble when casting next time.

I always leave the last Boolits in the cavities but cut the sprues, let the mould cool to "warm", wipe down with gun oil or automatic transmission fluid thinned with WD40 and drip some on the seams to make sure it gets to the cavities. The boolits in the cavities makes sure the oil wicks in and stays. Also stored in original box.

Longbow