RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys use as a mat on the workbench?

Boolit Master

I use a sheet of old green drafting table cover. Back in the days before CAD.

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...BoCgH0QAvD_BwE

Seems impervious to solvents and such.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Shelf lining mats work fairly well. I staple the corners to keep them in place.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I use a 2' x 3' piece of beige carpet from a cheap store near me called "Ollies." The carpet has a low pile height and keeps pins and screws from rolling off the bench. When it gets so soiled that I can't stand it, I'll throw it away and go invest another six bucks.

Bill Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by PTCSmith View Post
    I use a 2' x 3' piece of beige carpet from a cheap store near me called "Ollies." The carpet has a low pile height and keeps pins and screws from rolling off the bench. When it gets so soiled that I can't stand it, I'll throw it away and go invest another six bucks.

Bill Jacobs

Similarly, I've long successfully used discontinued carpet samples from the likes of Lowe's Home Improvement, HomeCheapo, etc, etc, that only cost a buck or two apiece.

They usually have a hemp backing and enough pile to cushion whatever's being worked on - but not so deep that screws/etc are hard to find/see/retrieve.

When one gets too dirty, or clogged with epoxy (whatever), I just toss it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I knew someone that worked in carpets, gave me a bunch of low pile samples, the type that have the edges finished, like above, when they get nasty they get tossed.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Rockler Silicone Project Mat. Ridged side prevents small parts from rolling and it’s Dillon blue.

rockler.com item no 56209.

Moderator Emeritus

It seems that "linoleum-type" dinner table place mats were the vogue a few decades back, and they seem to be in abundance at ridiculously low prices both at garage sales and flea markets. To wit, I recently picked up four with dinosaur pictures on them for the outrageous price of seventy-five cents!
    This is what I have atop my bench -- easy to clean, that they are light (yellowish) in colour makes parts easy to see -- and, for reasons I do not know, pretty much all solvents will NOT impact them.
    They do, over time -- perhaps from said chemicals? -- lose their flexibility, and when get too stained, etc. -- toss them, for another. It works well for me, keeping the varnished wood -- a surplus public school chemistry lab table -- underneath pretty much "new" looking.
    geo

Super Moderator Emeritus
    the Handiest thing i have found are the magnetic strip tool drawer liners i use in my rollabout tool boxes. the magnetic strips catch small parts before they escape to Murphy's spot.

I use cushion floor mats. You can get 'em at Tractor Supply or Walmart.

Attachment 246043
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Hand towel.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Wife’s old yoga mats work for me. Free.

Super Moderator

I have some Stihl chainsaw display mats that I got from my work. I have some other ones too, Milwaukee tools I think. They are 20x16" and resemble an over-sized mouse pad with a foam bottom and a soft fabric top. They can be washed in the washer a few times before they fall apart. They work really well.

Boolit Grand Master

Discontinued Carpet Samples .
    Would get them free from local flooring businesses , usually 24" x 36" , they were for display and would the carpets would change the display samples were useless .
    Indoor / outdoor type carpet worked well for a bench mat .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

A lot depends on what Im doing as to mats bench covers also. Rubber or carpet for general work cleaning repairing and or maintenance. If soldering or using heat then a piece of sheet metal. If gluing or bedding then wax paper spread out. Blueing may be a plastic container lid. Like I said it depends on what Im doing. Glues and epoxies on wax paper are a quick simple clean up, and if the piece is on it it peels off usually. The lid when bluing is a shallow water tight container that can be cleaned quick and easy. The rubber mats contain small amounts of solvents and contain parts well. The carpet absorbs them and keeps parts in place.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I like a dark green bath towel. It keeps things from rolling off the bench and makes a good background for digital pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green towel on workbench 20190803_222955.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	246264

What ever Grandpa is doing out in the shop tonight, it looks better on a green towel.

Boolit Mold
    I use a ribbed black rubber mat, covering the whole bench top. They have it on rolls down at the True Value.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    the Handiest thing i have found are the magnetic strip tool drawer liners i use in my rollabout tool boxes. the magnetic strips catch small parts before they escape to Murphy's spot.
    The magnetic door signs sold on eBay or any sign shop do a good job catching small parts.

I also use the roll out synthetic 'cutting board' (counter top protector), they clean easy and are dirt cheap.
    They cost almost nothing, and you can shape them with heat/scissors. Turned up edges keep small parts from getting away...
    Pieces of these work exceptionally well to keep edge clamp devices (like a small vice) from screwing up the bench top.

When I need a soft backing for tap hammer, I use a full thickness leather pad.

Personally I like a worn, oil soaked wooden bench top. I've used various things over the years, Formica, plywood, hardboard, mdf, hard and soft woods. Before my house burnt I had a poplar board 17" wide that I used. It was a single board which is pretty uncommon. My bench is plywood and set at 20" now.

I never have for guns, but I use cardboard for a top cushion to protect furniture or naked wood, works well.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Discontinued Carpet Samples .
    Would get them free from local flooring businesses , usually 24" x 36" , they were for display and would the carpets would change the display samples were useless .
    Indoor / outdoor type carpet worked well for a bench mat .

I do the same, when they get ugly they go into the trash and get a fresh one or two depending on the length of the gun, Trapdoors and Rolling Blocks need two.

Boolit Bub
    My favorite to use is news paper, I have a green Hoppies mat I use, but the news paper give a smooth surface to work on, absorbs the fluids and I throw it away when it needs to be.