MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Trying to find a particular mold, help please!

Boolit Bub

Trying to find a particular mold, help please!

Yesterday, I participated in a 2700 match, and when it came to the 45 matches, I had ammo problems. Two competitors lent me the ammo to finish that 900. I was very impressed with the bullet in their loads, and would like to get a mold to make these bullets.

Bullet description: this bullet looked like a H&G 68, similar to the 200gr bullets that I cast and shoot, but they were identified as 185gr. One shooter claimed that they were Magma 414s, but I couldn't find them on the Magma page. When I used an internet search, I was unsuccessful.

Is anyone aware of what mold I could purchase in order to make a 45 cal 185gr H&G 68 HPSWC? Or would it be wiser to purchase a Lyman 452460 and have it converted into a hollow point?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You could get the Lee version of the H&G 68 and have the bevel base milled off. That would give you a flat based boolit of about 185 grains.

Here is a link to a manufacturer that has the boolit you requested. Might be able to get them to tell you what it is.
    http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...5&secondary=13
    Last edited by tazman; 05-26-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Actually, I would like to get a mold with the hollow point. I already have a mold that will cast a 185gr grain version of the H&G68.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I used to get the same boolit that Tazman posted from the old Bull-X company. Don't know the model number but do know, for certain, that it was a Magma mold. Over fifteen years of IPSC, probably put 300-400K downrange (I had a 'working arrangement' with the owners of Bull-X) and may still have a carton on two on the shelf.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Some free advice...if you are serious about the sport, the volume necessary will be easier to get if you buy the bullets. I suspect the bullet you saw was the Magnus swaged bullet. Excellent bullets you can purchase in bulk. In early days I easily shot 5k-10k a season. Better to practice than cast volumes.
    Chris G...in SWLA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I used to get the same boolit that Tazman posted from the old Bull-X company. Don't know the model number but do know, for certain, that it was a Magma mold. Over fifteen years of IPSC, probably put 300-400K downrange (I had a 'working arrangement' with the owners of Bull-X) and may still have a carton on two on the shelf.

Bill
    I bet I still have 10k of that exact bullet. We would buy a pickup load at a time from Carter, they were great to deal with and made a good product!

I bet we have shot together... I gave up IPSC about 12 years ago, life issues. Still shoot a bunch of 45.