Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: C Sharps 40-65 barrel questions...

Boolit Buddy

C Sharps 40-65 barrel questions...

I succumbed to an unfired, C Sharps 40-65 with a long range tang sight and interchangeable aperture front sight at a local pawnshop. It had been there a couple of years ago, disappeared, and reappeared two weeks ago. In the interim it acquired a new set of RCBS dies and a new Lyman mold. It was still unfired, the owner ran up against money problems and pawned it back. I got it for the price of the bare rifle. SN is 75-3xxx. Too bad he did not add a DST or SST.....
    The round barrel is 30" tapered to 1" at the muzzle. It is an 8-groove, possibly a Badger but unmarked as to origin. It has a twist of 17.5/1, call it 18. Anyone else have one like this? My brass is formed from 45/70. Rainy weather is good for black powder but it's been a bit ridiculous of late. Initial loading is 53 gr of Goex FFG, what I have on hand, with a Lyman 410665 bullet.

Attachment 239302
    Last edited by Finnmike; 04-06-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a nice rifle, hope you enjoy it. Are you sure about the twist rates and didn't reverse the breech and muzzle?
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned

yes, that twist rate from breech to muzzle sounds backwards ... ?

it's also a slower twist than norm as a .40-65 is typically 1:16 or even faster. i just acquired a pedersoli sharps silhouette .40-65 and it has a 1:16 twist to its heavy 30" octagon target barrel. works more than fine with 393 grain PPB slicks and 404 grain greasers.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    18 twist in the 40 calibers wasn't that unusual in the time when that rifle was built. You'll likely want to keep the bullet lengths down around 1.35 or shorter for the most consistent accuracy.
    Also may want to think about jumping that powder charge up to about 60 grains.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    Finnmike,
    It sounds like a terrible acquisition... you could just be starting a terrible addiction that has been determined there's no cure for! as Don stated the twist is where they started in the beginning and for best results stay with the shorter lighter bullets or increase your velocity. On line - JBM has a plug and play calculator that will give you a reference for stability performance.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't recall Badger offering a gain twist- and the twist should increase towards the muzzle. I can't see the benefit otherwise but maybe I'll make one and try it so I know for sure...
    Anyway, the package sounds good and it will clear up- eventually. We're still battling mud at my range but we're facing warm temps, clear skies, and minimal wind today... Oh Boy!
    Greg

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Also if a single set trigger is what you really want, you can send it back to CSA and they will install one. Can't remember for the exact cost but it was under 200 to have that installed on my 75. Personally I like a nice clean 2 1/2 -3 lb single trigger better than the single set.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Don on the tuned 2-1/2-3 lb trigger. I find it easier to control than the super light set trigger. Especially in offhand stages. That should be a fine rifle that performs very well. A good looking rifle. C Sharps can replace the standard trigger with the set trigger shipping to and from may cost almost as much as the trigger LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shutinlead View Post
    Finnmike,
    It sounds like a terrible acquisition... you could just be starting a terrible addiction that has been determined there's no cure for! as Don stated the twist is where they started in the beginning and for best results stay with the shorter lighter bullets or increase your velocity. On line - JBM has a plug and play calculator that will give you a reference for stability performance.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't recall Badger offering a gain twist- and the twist should increase towards the muzzle. I can't see the benefit otherwise but maybe I'll make one and try it so I know for sure...
    Anyway, the package sounds good and it will clear up- eventually. We're still battling mud at my range but we're facing warm temps, clear skies, and minimal wind today... Oh Boy!
    Greg
    My mistake....measured the wrong spot on my rod, it is actually 17.5/1.

Boolit Master
    That twist sounds better or someone installed the barrel backwards!😉
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnmike View Post
    I succumbed to an unfired, C Sharps 40-65 with a long range tang sight and interchangeable aperture front sight at a local pawnshop. It had been there a couple of years ago, disappeared, and reappeared two weeks ago. In the interim it acquired a new set of RCBS dies and a new Lyman mold. It was still unfired, the owner ran up against money problems and pawned it back. I got it for the price of the bare rifle. SN is 75-3xxx. Too bad he did not add a DST or SST.....
    The round barrel is 30" tapered to 1" at the muzzle. It is an 8-groove, possibly a Badger but unmarked as to origin. It has a twist of 17.5/1, call it 18. Anyone else have one like this? My brass is formed from 45/70. Rainy weather is good for black powder but it's been a bit ridiculous of late. Initial loading is 53 gr of Goex FFG, what I have on hand, with a Lyman 410665 bullet.

Attachment 239302
    If you want to know ask C Sharps and they will tell you how it was built barrel/chamberwise , they did mine/Ed

Boolit Master

That barrel is probably a Douglas. A friend and I got rifles back in 91 and they had 18-1 barrels by Douglas. His was a 75 and mine an 1885. The bullet that I had the best luck with was the RCBS 350gr. My friend has had pretty good luck with a Brooks 400gr boolit, pushing it hard with Swiss.
    I had my 85 converted to single set several years ago and I believe that the cost was $275 then. It is much cheaper to have it done when it is being built.
    I'm sure that C-Sharps can give you the real skinny on the rifle from the SN.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!