WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Grand Master

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Had some flat rate boxes full of lead that were in the way. Was going to just put them in the foot locker as is but I decided to make ingots instead. Forgot how much nicer it is to convert large isotope cores. The smaller ones have all sorts of paint and glue on them. Cleaning them up takes time and stinks.

Boolit Grand Master

Trying to finish tumbling 9mm's. Started the tumbler about 0700 this morning and I'm drying and sorting the first load as the next is tumbling.

I've had years of brass stashed away that I have been trying to sort and store away. The results of a very demanding job over the last years that I worked.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Had some flat rate boxes full of lead that were in the way. Was going to just put them in the foot locker as is but I decided to make ingots instead. Forgot how much nicer it is to convert large isotope cores. The smaller ones have all sorts of paint and glue on them. Cleaning them up takes time and stinks.

I'm jealous. Weather is too nasty for smelting.

Reloaded a couple of boxes for my 357 rifle and handgun. Hope the weather gets better. Right now it is cold and very windy.
    I also cast up 300 Lee 358-125rf.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019_02_24_083848.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	236787
    NOE 503-354-HP for 50GI. Covered with Eastwood copper penny. Still perfecting this cast but I'm good with this first effort. These are manstoppers
    -Mike
    -Mike

Today I loaded some .243s with H4895 and Remington 80 gr PowrLokt hp. The powder and Bullets date from the 1970s. The brass and primers are MUCH newer. Yesterday I loaded some 30-40 Krag in yellow box Western brass(I annealed it) with equally old IMR 4350 and Sierra 180 gr sp and C309150F.

Boolit Master

Loaded up some NOE 385 shallow hollow points and some old Ideal 357466's and I am going to revisit my Unique load in 38 Special once the weather breaks. The NOE is kinda a bugger to load in 38 Special cases for my old S&W revolver. I have to seat the deeper due to the long ogive and then taper crimp them This will be their first test for accuracy in that gun.

L-R - NOE, 357466 PC'ed and 357466 naked.

Name:	38misc.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	236800

Boolit Master
    Full length sized, tumbled, then trimmed the 300 cases of 270 Win I received the other day. Chamfer and debur will have to wait for Thursday.

Boolit Master

PC'ed about 600 bullets today.

This was the 1st time I PC'd in a Production mode. Before it was only test batches of 50 or so. And small .32 cal RN's.

The batches of big 225-250gr bullets in qty of 50 - 75 bullets is a learning experience.

But they all came out really pretty with full coverage and no puddles from too much powder.

So I'm pretty happy. Learning with every session of PC'ing.

Now I just have to get MY cheap *** Lee Bullet sizing dies polished, so they don't scrape off the PC.

Tried the new mini cookie sheets My Fantastic Wife bought for me. T. O. has 2 racks and came with only one cookie sheet. My Wife found 3 more that fit so perfectly. And only 5bucks each.

Made a foil template. Cut a folded piece of non-stick foil, for each cookie sheet. So I'll have a piece I can turn over as needed.

I used Smokes "Flame Red" for the 1st time. Did 75 bullets at a time in my Zip-Lock 6"x6" shaker box, 5 tablespoons of BB's and teaspoon of powder to start.

I did 200 N.O.E 453-247-SWC, A brand new mold, got it from the New Year's Sale. Casts Beautiful bullets with sharp clean edges, drops from the 5cav mold with only a tap or two.

Then 200 from a Lee 45-225-TC 6cav that I bought here from Wrench last Month. GREAT Casting mold, drops all 6 with only a shake.

Then a last 200 with Eastwood "Squirrel Gray". PC'd the N.O.E TL432-240-FP 4cav, I got it from last year's New Year's Sale. JEEZ ! what a FANTASTIC casting mold. They all drop without even a shake.
    They're for My Chiropractor's COWBOY .44mag loads.
    Can't have bright colored bullets for Cowboy Action Shooting. Might embarrass then old man.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Spiffed up the "ol' bench" after painting, upgrading to LED lighting and installing vinyl tile flooring in the reloading room.

Name:	Bench.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	236805

Boolit Buddy
    Rendered about 3 lbs of raw beeswax. Current project is now to clean up all the wax spatter on the range, walls and floor

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    Rendered about 3 lbs of raw beeswax. Current project is now to clean up all the wax spatter on the range, walls and floor
    Yup, I did 5 lbs last week, but only got the stove top. I took lighter fluid and a paper towel and it cleaned up real nice and quick.

Setup my new 357 sig dies and made a dummy boolit with an accurate 125 yg style boolit.
    Got it setup for a COL of 1.140 and they plunk perfectly.
    I kept the boolit that cast the fattest when I was resizing this batch and made the dummy with that one.

I read about boolit setback, crushed necks, etc and I had no problems. I was also able to push my dummy boolit down on a scale at about 35 lbs and there was no setback.

Should be making some test loads in the next day or so. I need to be ready with about 150 by next Thursday so I have a week or so to work up a nice load... Seems like a long time, but it can get away from you if you fart around too much.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Setup my new 357 sig dies and made a dummy boolit with an accurate 125 yg style boolit.
    Got it setup for a COL of 1.140 and they plunk perfectly.
    I kept the boolit that cast the fattest when I was resizing this batch and made the dummy with that one.

I read about boolit setback, crushed necks, etc and I had no problems. I was also able to push my dummy boolit down on a scale at about 35 lbs and there was no setback.

Should be making some test loads in the next day or so. I need to be ready with about 150 by next Thursday so I have a week or so to work up a nice load... Seems like a long time, but it can get away from you if you fart around too much.
    I bought the Lee 358/125rf mold just for the lil sig round!

I just cast my first bullets from it Sunday, Ill powder coat later this week and maybe load some this weekend. I havent used cast in any of my 357sigs yet. Hope the bullet is a winner for me. Others have said it works for them.

Good luck with yours!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote3 View Post
    Spiffed up the "ol' bench" after painting, upgrading to LED lighting and installing vinyl tile flooring in the reloading room.

Name:	Bench.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	236805
    Thats a nice looking bench! I like the stack of storage containers on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

I just cast my first bullets from it Sunday, Ill powder coat later this week and maybe load some this weekend. I havent used cast in any of my 357sigs yet. Hope the bullet is a winner for me. Others have said it works for them.

Good luck with yours!

CW
    I think casting and reloading is really the only way to shoot a lot of sig... Otherwise, it's like $0.75-$1.00 per round!

Good luck with yours too. Those little fast rounds sure do fly pretty flat and straight.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

I tell ya what!! My first two sigs where barrel swaps into 40 guns. BOTH times the guns where appreciably more accurate in sig than S&W!!! Im very impressed to say the least!

I bought a New G24 and a KKM 357Sig barrel to get a 6" 357 Sig!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

Good luck with yours!

CW
    I charged 100 9x19 with 3.8 gr of Power Pistol then tried seating the Lee 125 RF in them as cast. Won't chamber in either of my 9mm handguns, Star BM or Firestar M42. Have a Lee .356 sizing die arriving Thursday, will try them again after sizing and another coat of BLL.

Boolit Buddy

I got a 20mm ammo can to store them in so I'm on my second day of cleaning and oiling my moulds. Also making an inventory list to keep with them.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    I build two 18" X 30" screens out of lath and 1/4" hardware cloth, reinforced with metal rods under the mesh. Now I have four, and no excuse not to HiTek the 10K 9mm and the 2K miscellaneous slugs a friend asked to coated.