Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JB Weld + buckshot ??

Boolit Master
    If you just wanted a solid slug that broke up when it hits the target would the cut shell method work, you know cut nearly all way round just above the brass base and fire it. I am not sure of the safety of using Jb weld but glaister safety slugs were made similar were they not. All said and done you could cast some solids in much less time I think. Maybe something like this for pistol shot loads to stop blown patterns would be useful maybe. If you try please use a long string in case. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not seeing any danger here for a 0.680" projectile in shotcup shot from cylinder bore with a recipe for equal weight payload but I'm not seeing any benefit either.

If successful in creating a frangible "slug" it will be a simple cylinder so will tumble in flight and accuracy will be poor... very poor. So long range use is out.

At close range it may give similar effect as wax slugs or cut shell slugs but I am not sure of any benefit there and with buckshot why bother? I'd never shoot a cut shell "slug" and question any "benefit" of wax slugs since again they are only going to be useful at close range due to inaccuracy.

The OP has an idea he wants to try and as long as he does it safely that's fine but I'm not seeing any benefit.

Longbow

You guys are 😜 I love it. I loaded solder fletchettes in my 12 ga once. It would be cruel to shoot something with them but it tore up a watermelon. I think the jb'd buckshot will be unbalanced but give her a rip and see what's what. You might try an unrifled cylinder bore for a test first. Good luck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Sliceing part way through a hull causes higher pressures because the hull is larger in diameter than the bore.
    Regarding "cut shells", back in the old days, prob'ly before most of you's days, the NRA tested the cut shell theory. They found that pressure actually goes down pretty significantly as does velocity. Naturally with reduced pressure you'd have lower velocity. Don't take my word for it, look it up in the NRA Illustrated RELOADING HANDBOOK which was published about 1960 or so. My book was copied by Wilgen and should be available for looking or download on castpics.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-78367.html
    Last edited by woody1; 02-23-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add link
    Take a kid along

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by finstr View Post
    Attachment 236572

Attachment 236573

So using the JB Weld as a void filler and the wad as a mold I mixed it up and put 1oz of #4 buckshot in the cup. Then took a cut hull band to stop the cup from over expanding. Letting it dry to see what comes out.
    Jeez I love gun guys with time on their hands..now I'm onto a new project. Thanks for this
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    My pea brain is not understanding why you want to do this. If I need a slug I use a slug. If I need buckshot I use buck shot.

Are you trying to hold the buckshot togther until it gets downrange a ways?

JB weld is not cheap either. Maybe something like Pectin would work. You can adjust the viscosity and if it does not work. you can make jam. LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Right you are woody1.

I'd guess the reason for low pressure is the gas leakage from the breech described in the article.

However, safe of not, I am not seeing any benefit to cut shells, wax slugs or the like. A cut shell is not a slug and will not behave like a slug even if it flew like a Brenneke. At impact it will spill it's shot and not provide penetration like a solid slug. If filled with buckshot AND providing slug like accuracy to say 50 yards it might be a be a decent round to use against bad guys but I wouldn't depend on it for hunting because terminal performance is likely to be variable and questionable.

So, since I really don't have any long range self defense need these things have no interest to me. I'm with Don on this.

However, the OP has an interest or application for his idea which is fine. Play but play safe!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Just a word of caution...keep those shells round when you fill them. If they end up oval in cross section, they'll break up in the barrel when they hit the forcing cone. Find a chunk of pipe the shell fits tightly into, and insert the shell while the jb weld cures. I think you'll have more success that way.
    So long as you're not doing anything unsafe, and you have a disposable barrel, shotguns are a hoot to blast unusual things out of. Wax slugs are great for short-range multiple target drills, absolutely vaporizing garden pests, and generally blasting holes in stuff. There is literally no better way to make air holes in a burn barrel. That said, I would still stick to a real lead slug for hunting. In my opinion, if I have to kill medium game at ranges under 100 yds, you can't beat a cast lead 12 gauge slug. Or round ball for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My pea brain is not understanding why you want to do this. If I need a slug I use a slug. If I need buckshot I use buck shot.

Are you trying to hold the buckshot togther until it gets downrange a ways?

JB weld is not cheap either. Maybe something like Pectin would work. You can adjust the viscosity and if it does not work. you can make jam. LOL
    Shoot em in the biscuits with lead jam!

I've loaded a few shells up and was planning on shooting them today (sunday) but the weather is so crummy I'll have to postpone testing until the wind and freezing rain dies down.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds over engineered to me. JB is unforgiving and very well may damage the barrel. You seem intent on this experiment, so make sure nobody is near it when fired. Please post a video, if possible. In an era gone by, we used to cast dental plaster with bird shot as a breaching round. It wasn't particularly good for the shotgun, but we didn't care as they were departmental shotguns. Better to tear up a shotgun than to have an officer stand with a battering ram in front of dangerous entry problem. As far as a deer hunting round, well, by definition, it's folly. If you want to just because you want to, I'm all for it. A mass of cemented balls will certainly have an asymmetric center of gravity and probably fly like a half filled water balloon. Good luck.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As far as cutting around hull raising pressure plastic compresses pretty easy i doubt it raises it all that much. Especially with cheap target shells which is what most use as thats the point to get a slug at a very cheap price.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by finstr View Post
    I've loaded a few shells up and was planning on shooting them today (sunday) but the weather is so crummy I'll have to postpone testing until the wind and freezing rain dies down.
    Wuss!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Hah! The poor weather has been my excuse too but mostly because I have to haul everything about 100 meters uphill (a steep hill!) through snow to get to the range.

I finally got there today though. About time!

Not sure I'd be out there in wind and freezing rain either! We had a nice day today for a change.

Winter is nearing the end... in Southeastern B.C. anyway. Your winter may be somewhat longer depending on where in Ontario you are.

Your time will come!

Longbow

Well after injuring myself while removing the 3' snow drift in front of my pickup I'm laid up for the short term. When the disc retracts back into my spine I should be good to go. Lol. And of course it's snowing again today....
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

This reminds me of what my uncle told me they did during the depression. He said they would take a squirrel (birdshot) shell pry it open and pour syrup into it. They would glue to star crimp closed and put it on the windowsill. He said the sun would heat up the syrup and it drip would through the shot gluing the shot into a slug. He said after a couple of days they would take the shell off the sill and put it in a cool place. He said when you are dirt poor you will do whatever it takes to put food on the table. Another uncle talked about load shells using copper wire that had been cut into small pieces to be used as shot. Not sure I would do an of these things, but I haven't ever been that hungry.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd have to think that syrup and shot would be much like wax slugs which may hold together until impact but they can't possibly fly well being cylinders so no chance of accuracy beyond 25 yards or so and at impact it isn't a slug so penetration would be poor. You'd be better off pouring out the shot, melting and casting a slug or buckshot. I get the "They were poor." bit but a simple mould can be make and would be better than "glued together bird shot. Even a solid cylindrical slug would be better than glued shot. Accuracy wouldn't be any better but at least it would penetrate so at bowhunting ranges it should be quite effective.

I used to use a cut off CO2 cylinder as a crude mould when I was a kid. Open the shotgun shell, dump out the shot, melt over a blow torch or whatever, pour into the cut off CO2 cylinder, let cool then drop into your hull and refold. They weren't very accurate at anything past 25 yards but they certainly penetrated what they hit and would definitely drop a deer at "bowhunting" range.

Casting swan shot isn't that difficult either and it would (did) make good buckshot at moderate ranges. Just drip lead into water and you get swan shot.

Heavy copper wire cut in short cylinders should make decent shot but copper is pricey enough it is probably worth more to sell if you have any large amount. If used out of necessity it is soft and heavy so decent replacement for shot and won't hurt the bore. However, if you have factory rounds you are reloading with copper why not use the shot they came with? If reloading then there is always a source of lead ~ wheelweight, old car batterys, lead drain pipe, cable sheathing, fishing weights.

I'll stay away from cut shells, wax slugs and the like. There are better ways.

Longbow

I've done cut shells before. Instead of cutting all the way around with one cut, I make two cuts each half way around. Makes the shell strong enough to cycle through a pump gun. At 75 yards I can hit my 2/3 IPSC target with a cut shell, but birdshot from a 18cylinder won't touch it.

It's a neat trick to know if you're ever pinned down behind cover with nothing but a shotgun and birdshot and a knife and need to reach out enough to make them duck so you can run for the truck. Ha

Boolit Master

Cut shell. Haven't tried that one. I would have guessed the crimp would have opened up when the hull hit the end of the chamber. Interesting. No need for a hollow point in that slug!
    As a kid I tried pouring wax into a load of #2 shot. All I could get was full pattern results.

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefully it never happens but Bazoo has one legitimate use for cut shells... "It's a neat trick to know if you're ever pinned down behind cover with nothing but a shotgun and birdshot and a knife and need to reach out enough to make them duck so you can run for the truck. Ha"

In that case, I'd try cut shells if I had nothing better! Putting the hurt on bad guys is something they could be good for.