RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Anyone Tried this load in their '06?

Anyone Tried this load in their '06?

Awhile back I bought a 31141 mould for my .30 caliber rifles (Thanks, Calamity Jake!). I cast some bullets with the mould out of WW's and let them air-cool then sized them .310".
    I'm wanting to shoot a deer with my 03A3, so arbitrarily tried 24 grs. of 2400. Loaded out to 3.082", I'm getting nice groups at 50 yds. I fired a group @ 100 yds. this evening and even though it was really too dark (5:40 p.m.), it shot about 3.5" with three shots in a nice little 1.25" cluster. NO leading after 20 or so shots. I thought this was pretty good from a completely stock rifle that hasn't even been bedded (yet).
    So I'm wondering, has anyone tried this load and specifically chronographed it? By the time I get home in the evenings, it's too dark to chronograph. Any suggestions for another good load for this bullet that'll get me 1800-2000 fps?
    Thanks!
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Between 28-31 gr of 4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler will give you between 1800 and 2000 fps, perhaps a tudge more depending on type of 4895 and rifle.

Larry Gibson

2400 is a great powder for cast shooting in the 03A3; I use 15 grains with Lyman/Ideal 311291, and it is uncanningly accurate out to 200 yards, but the velocity is in the 1400 fps range. I have used up to 20 grains with some rifles to get centered at 200 yards with the coarsely-adjustable military sights, but the accuracy suffers some. To acheive success in the velocity regime that you seek, try Larry's load. You'll probably get more reliable grouping at those velocities.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master

I find that boolit works good in about anything but dont try to drive it over 2000fs i like the 2400 at 17or 18gr in a 06

Boolit Master

Hay 35, how ya been? That 24gr of 2400 should be about 2000, I shoot 18gr for about 1600.
    Haven't chorned it.
    Larry's 4895 load should be a good one.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    24 gr of 2400 is about the max I'd say, no?

24 gr of 2400 is about the max I'd say, no?
    My Lyman manual shows 27.0 as MAX and even then pressure is only 34,500 C.U.P.
    Jake, I have 6 or so lbs. of surplus 4895. I'll try it! Thanks!
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    For what it's worth, I've used a lot of 24 or 25 grain (can't decide which I like better) loads of Aliant 2400 in .30-06. The brass is usually Remington (range scrounge--Rem runs more sales then Win, so it's what most box a year shooters seem to buy). I've shot only a few lead (180 gn RN, store bought, so mould unkown), but a lot of M2 Ball bullets (152 gn) and lots of various 165's (yeah, all jacketed). I get 2050 to to 2200 fps from M1's (24in bbl) and Rem 700's (22 in bbl).

Finally got a chance to try the load this morning in good light at 100 yds. WOW! Haven't measured yet, but it looks like the 5 shots will go into 1 1/2". I'll post a picture later. Was pressed for time, so I didn't drag the chronograph out.
    35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings The 1973 edition of Lymans shows from a 26 inch barrel, Universal receiver 2400 and your boolit Starting load 20.0 grains... 1751 fps(22,200 cup) Max load 27.0 grains... 2141 fps (34,500 cup) Your shorter barrel ( I would supose shorter) should be close to
    this velocity with 2400 as rifle powder.

Boolit Master

Guys I am still here 25 yrs later. Just a warning when loading keep your cases far apart when loading powder in cast loads . I jacket load you cannot doubel charge a rifle case BUT you can on cast loads. I put 36gr of 2400 behind a 173 slug. This was in a sears 53 bolt action[same as win 70] The rifle stayed together. Thought it broke my shoulder, flipped me twice[was on my knees] I had to take a hammer to drive the bolt open. Case was blowen into the extractor space and also into the fireing pin hole. I took bolt apart and pieces of the primer were inside The rifle never shot right and i traded it off. rick

Chrono-ed the load

FYI, finally took time to chronograph this load (24 grs. 2400, Lyman 311041 of ACWW). It ran right at 2000 fps. It still amazes me that this bullet, of air-cooled WW's, at the 2000 fps doesn't lead at all in this rifle.
    35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    35 Whelen -- What lube are you using with the above?

Lube...well here's the story. I had an RCBS Lubri-Sizer that was just worn out. So I sent it to the factory and they sent me another that must've been a return. Although it looked almost new, it had some sort of lube in it that is tan or neutral in color and somewhat soft. I don't know what kind it is. Sorry I can't help!
    35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    16 grains of 4227 or 23 grains of 3031 behind a Lyman 311284 both perform superbly in my A3s. The fifty yard groups stay reliably within two inches. 30 grains of 3031 pushing a 311291 also shoots well. I've found that the recommended loads in the Lyman Handbooks are usually right on. You have to be careful with 4227 not to double charge. 3031 doesn't have that problem because of its bulk. My budy did in a very nice 03 with a double of 4227 behind a 210 gr cast. It was not an enjoyable experience! Be careful and enjoy your gun.!!
    Last edited by stillhunter; 12-22-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added comment

Boolit Mold
    I have a lot of 4895. Where do I find dacron filler? I'd like to use a 170 gr. boolit. Any loads? Thanks in advance

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45shootr View Post
    I have a lot of 4895. Where do I find dacron filler? I'd like to use a 170 gr. boolit. Any loads? Thanks in advance
    I buy dacron at a sewing/fabric store. I buy it by the yard in 5/8 - 3/4" thick sheets of "batting". I then use sharp scissors and cut it in strips about 3/4" wide and then cut those into pieces of about 1/2, 3/4, 1 or 1 1/2 gr for use in various loads. I mostly use the 3/4 gr for the '06. I cut a weigh a couple to get the right size and then "eyeball" cut the rest. I've found through considerable testing that there is little difference in shot to shot variation based on weight of the dacron. What you want is a consistant "filler" taking up the airspace between powder and bullet. No need to use too much but you do need to use enough. It only takes a bit of practice to get "eyeballing the size of the dacron pieces close enough. It isn't expensive so if one is too small I don't hesitate to chuck it.

Try 27-32 gr of any of the 4895s with the 170 gr bullet working up in 1/2 gr increments of 5 shots. Clean barrel between groups and fire 2 foulers before the test group. When you have the 3 or 4 loads close togehter that are accurate switch to 10 shot groups or at least three 5 shot groups with each load. That will eliminate any random dispersion "lucky" groups and will tell you which is the most consistently accurate load. Using a chronograph during testing will also show you when you get consistent ignition by the lower ES and SD.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-23-2008 at 12:45 PM.