RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 - Lee mould - RESULTS!

7.62x39 - Lee mould - RESULTS!

I am using the 160 gr. tumble lube version of the boolit. I crimp on a gas check with the .314" push-through sizer. I am lubing with Lee Liquid Alox, lightly tumbled, then dipped Ranch Dog style. I push them through the .314" one more time after they are dry, it sort of squee-gees the lube into all the grooves.

Load is 15 grains of 2400. This is max, but it was what was needed to cycle this Kalashnikov reliably. Here are results at 75 yards:

This is a 10-shot string. I am mucho impressed! This is out of an AK I built from a Romanian "G" parts kit.

Very nice! Got to get back to worl with my SKS & M 14. Pistol season is just about done.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Handy - thanks for the report. I am embarking on casting for an AK and appreciate your info. I am also considering that boolit and was concerned about as-cast diameter. Last night I had great success with beagling a 6 cavity .40 mold, so I'm not too worried now. Beagle - if your out there, your a genius! -Truck

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice.

Could you tell me what your COL is for your loaded rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by VintageRifle View Post
    Very nice.

Could you tell me what your COL is for your loaded rounds?
    I seat to 2.20" -- top band is barely visible just above the case mouth. I'm using the tumble-lube version (160 grain).

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you.

Here is what they look like before going for their first tumble. I use Imperial sizing die wax (just a finger swipe) to seat the gas check first time through the .314" die.

Quote Originally Posted by handyrandyrc View Post
    Here is what they look like before going for their first tumble. I use Imperial sizing die wax (just a finger swipe) to seat the gas check first time through the .314" die.

That boolit looks different than the one I have I wonder if Lee changed the nose profile on them That one looks like a hornady spire point profile and the ones from my sc from a few years ago has more of a spitzer nose on it??? How long ago did you get that mould?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Received this mould from Graf's about 3 weeks ago.

Boolit Mold

I use this same bullet for my Mosin 91/30, my AK, my M44&M38, for my Type 99 Arisaka, and my .303 Enfield. For all of them except the 7.62 X 39 I have used 80% loads of H4895 with very mixed results. Out of my 91/30's they detonate about 50% of the time, work ok out of the M44&M38, great in my Jap Type 99, and terrible in my Enfield. I've tried about 14 grains of Unique out of my Enfield and was thrilled with the results, just a tad too slow (chrono's at 1475 fps) any one try a stiffer load of Unique? I am trying got get to 1800 fps or so. Would like to try it out of the Mosin's too. Seems my bullets come apart at around 2100fps for some reason. They are cast WW's with 6% extra tin added, along with 2% silver, and water dropped. BNH is 16-18 according to my Lee tester.

Boolit Mold
    tagged

Boolit Mold
    I am using the 160 gr. tumble lube version of the boolit. I crimp on a gas check with the .314" push-through sizer. I am lubing with Lee Liquid Alox, lightly tumbled, then dipped Ranch Dog style. I push them through the .314" one more time after they are dry, it sort of squee-gees the lube into all the grooves.

Load is 15 grains of 2400. This is max, but it was what was needed to cycle this Kalashnikov reliably. Here are results at 75 yards:

This is a 10-shot string. I am mucho impressed! This is out of an AK I built from a Romanian "G" parts kit.
    Thanks for the report this is exactly what I am doing same gun romy g and same bullet.I am assuming you are using a Lee sizer.

Yup Lee .314" push through sizer. Doesn't really take anything off the boolit -- just crimps the check in place as it goes through.

Boolit Buddy
    you tried any other powders with that bullet? 4227?
    A.F.A.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmon_Greer View Post
    you tried any other powders with that bullet? 4227?
    I recently made up about 50 rounds with an old can of IMR4227 that I wanted to use up. I loaded 16.0 grains with the 155-2R bullet and it was a fairly mild load.

Boolit Master
    In the 7.62x39 I use a 155gr. boolit gas checked with 19.9grs. of IMR4198 performs well. The 155gr. boolit drops from the mould at .314 and I run it thru a .3155 sizer to lube and seat gas check --- Boolit is shot as cast and gas check is sized .3155. My bore is .316 but performance is good.

Smile

The .314" sizer barely wipes the tops of the bands on mine.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Mold
    Hi Folks:

I am very new to casting, but I have reloaded for a while. I recently purchased a Lee 312160 mould like HandyRandy's. But I bought the .311 sizer instead of the .314.

Most places I have read indicate that the 7.62X39 was .310. Is this not true? Is sizing somewhat over the norm in casting?

I apologize in advance for instigating a bit of "thread drift," but I sure hope my loads will work as well as HandyRandy's, and it seems I have much to learn!

Thanks.

Stay Safe,
    AGreyMan

Smile

Yep, the better the boolit fills the throat or freebore of the chamber, the less opportunity it has to get out of line before it seats in the rifling. That's more important than matching the groove diameter. You don't want to go under the groove diameter, but somewhat over it is seldom a problem.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Hey fellas , what is the nose diameter of those bullets ? From the picture it almost looks like it's the same size as the driving bands and I'm sure that ain't right .

Also , is the average body diameter about .313" ?

Thanks , Jack