Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: casting help

Boolit Mold

casting help

I've been lurking for sometime,went and did some 200 grn. swc and rnfp .45 with Lee moulds. I've been able to make(some of) them look okay but some are as much as 0.10 grn over weight and .001 - .003 over size. On the 2nd attempt I paused a bit longer before breaking open and water quenched these also. This improved above situation some.I dont want to size ,if possible I read others who have them right on the money.Any input will be very helpful and thanks.

Boolit Mold

casting help II

I realized that I meant 10 grains over weight, not 0.10.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range Fleataxi's Avatar
    mscob: nevermind!
    Fleataxi
    Last edited by Fleataxi; 12-02-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Brain Fart
    1911 Neanderthals - Converting One Caveman at a Time

Cast Boolits - Fodder for John Moses Browning's best gun since 1911!

Graduate - Wiley E Coyote School of Gunsmithing

Boolit Master
    nscob sounds like maybe your casting temperature is varied too much. Also what alloy are you using? I don't use a thermometer, but keeping a constant temp is important to have consistant size. Is your fillout ok?

Banned

Be happy, very happy that you have a boolit to work with. Nothing worse then undersize boolits.
    Don't worry about the weight.

Hold your molds up to the light and see if they are closing completely. It doesn't take much of a burr or misalignment to hold them open a few thou.

Boolit Mold
    They look fine after I get a rythmn. I probably do have a temp change, using a camp stove and skillet with ladle.I dont have thermo,sometimes it solidifies right away(on sprue) other times it runs off like water,I try to keep it so it solidifies fast. My alloy is straight WW.I took one of the larger ones and slugged barrel.Kimber is .451,Sig 220 is .452.They come out of mold at .454.If they would chamber Iwould think they would be okay?The mold stays closed like it should.Was hoping not to have to size,just tumble lube and fire.

My TL452-230-SWC drops at 454/455. I sized with a Lee 454.
    They would not chamber in my 220, so I sized nose first (with a Lyman sizer) past the front band to 452. This allowed the boolits to chamber and shot well, butt what a pain in the ...........

When my sprues freeze right away my mould is too cold and is not filling out good. I try to get hot enough that it takes a second or few to freeze.

Sounds like you are doing good and welcome to the site.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the welcome,I appreciate it.I think my sprue is about at that time frame.It seems like I have a to maintain a pattern.Should I have to tap them(gently)out of the mold sometimes.I'm going to separate the ones that fall out and the ones that need a tap.Really dont want size handgun,maybe mine are picky,but want to try 30-06 next knowing Ill have to size these.

Yes, it is common to tap the mould handle hinge bolt to release the boolits. The ones that fall out may not be filled as well.

Boolit Mold
    Darn it! Thought I was on to something.I'll keep trying,maybe the moulds need a few more heat cycles on them.I might just have work this out with .38 .357.44 moulds that are in the future.Also wanted to try 6 cavity moulds but I have to get this fixed.Want to get .45 right because if they try to make end run on ammo bans thats the gun I want the most,thought it would be easiest to keep running.