RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 Special - which wadcutter?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    Yes hollowbase wadcutter moulds are available(look in the group buy section) . I'd check the "for sale" section of this forum. Wadcutter moulds for 38 wadcutter are still quite popular. Perhaps the best of the best is an H&G #50 but you'll find that one very pricey. Lyman, Saeco, and Lee (aluminum) all are available. They're generally available at a reasonable price.
    You can occasionally find the H&G 50 for reasonable prices. It was one of their most common molds and often sells for less than their other molds. It is common in multi-cavity, often in 6, 8 or even 10 cavities. It is also available in different diameters, from .356 to .358.

Boolit Master
    Lyman WC worked for me. Watch evil bay, they come up quite frequently there.
    Leadmelter

In Remembrance

When I was in big shooting indoor PPC with a S&W model 14 6" barrel that was smoothed up `just a little`. I can`t begin to guess how many thousands of the Lyman #358495 mold that I made using 2 molds that threw 4 per drop. I used straight WW as I could get so much of the stuff that I used it straight. I sized them .359" and only lubed the bottom groove with a brown NRA formula lube. I used WW std spp under 3.0 gr. of either HP-38 or Win. 231. Over the years I took a match or so and a trophy of so also using this pistol and load.Robert

Boolit Master

I saw an ad on EvilBay for an H&G 4-banger in #50 that went for abut $50 - not bad for a dang good boolit. H&G made a ton of those, so they are fairly abundant, and show up often. Lyman 358495 too.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    My favorite is Lyman 358432, a heavy, solid base that crimps about 1/4" behind the nose. Mine come out at about 160 grains and I have not found a .38 they don't shoot well in. Got it when we began this journey in the 60s.

Boolit Grand Master

I tested every WC and SWC boolit design I could lay my hands on and the winner in every 38 special and 357 magnum , accuracy wise , is the now discontinued Lyman Design #358432 160 grain version. It consistently shot tighter groups with several different powders.
    Luckily NOE has re created this design in their NOE 360-160-WC (PB) and it is still available. Hollow points are available also if you want them .
    The 3 cavity aluminum mould is a big improvement over the old used Lyman single cavity I found on Ebay. This boolit is about all I cast for 38/357 revolvers any more.
    If you have never tried this boolit....you missing out.

Since the weight is close to the old 158 grain standard, fixed sighted revolvers like model 10, 64 and J frame snub nose , all shoot to their fixed sights...this was important to me . My S&W model 64 , 38 special , fixed sights, adores this boolit.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I also like the #358432. I lucked up in '77 when a local sporting goods store discontinued their gun department. I bought the #358432, #452374 & #452388 (all 4 cavity) for $12.50 each. I kick myself for not buying more (a #358429 & #358477 were available, but I had those in 2 cavity & being frugal didn't want to be extravagant).

I have a H&G #50 in 6 cavity that I don't use (too heavy)........I should sell it (good idea).

Henry

NOE makes a hollow base wad cutter mold in .38 which is a good mold at a decent price. I have not managed to do more than some 10 yard tests but it worked well enough at that range that I'm looking forward to warmer weather. You can remove the pins and cast a regular wad cutter with the mold too. Aluminum mold but of good quality.

Lee 158 semi wad cutter tumble lube design. Punches decent holes, decent range, works well with either tumble lube or powder coat. Doesn't lose stability nearly as fast as a true wad cutter. A good companion to most 158 grain 38 molds is a Lyman button nose wad cutter mold. I'll have to look to see the exact mold number but it impinges into the case the same amount as the 158 SWC or RN so the same powder load yields very similar performance to this WC. That Lyman WC also seems to work well crimped into a small groove just a bit back from the nose end. Makes speed loaders a touch easier to use since there is a small amount of bullet for lead in.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat