RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead for the 25-35

Boolit Bub

Lead for the 25-35

Hi. Need some help w/this bit of nostalgia. Even though lead is supposed to be a problem with the 1:8 twist of this rifle, i've had pretty good luck with it. Trouble is i'm looking to expand my powder options and can't find data for it. I saw way back a very old book, "Complete guide to Handloading" pg 354 had the whole page dedicated to 25-35. My copied page was blurry and out of focus. Does anyone have a copy of this page and can forward it here ? Would be VERY appreciated. Looking for lead data for 85-88s, 100s, 110-115s, 125s. I'd like to use powders i've used in my other levers like 32-20 & 30-30 like 2400, 4759, red dot, 4227, Trail Boss, etc . Anyone have any data similar on any of these? Thanks

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What are you looking for - bullets for 25-35 or powder charges for 25-35 or both. I'm lost when you say "lead"
    Regards
    John

The page ...
    The bullet ... http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_...lets/25717.jpg

25717. This is the .25-35 Winchester series. Loading tool that is correct for the regular .25-35 Winchester metal patched bullets will seat any of these, one groove will project beyond the muzzle of shell so that bullets will have a longer bearing to hold on to the quick twist rifling. For short range bullets, note the 78 grains weight and bullet No. 25721, both seat with the regular tool. (PB, FN, 66, 78, 91, 108, 117, 125, 157, Also Perfection - TP is 420)

Good Luck finding the bullet made by vendors or the Ideal Perfection Mold which is rare
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John Boy; 07-26-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Regards
    John

The 25-35 is a special needs child due to the fast rifling twist. Use heavier bullets like 100 to 120 grains and don't expect great accuracy much beyond 1.6K fps or so. Faster powders will do best.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You can load as little as 4 grains of fast burning pistol or shotgun powder with lead plain-based .25-20 bullets. The 25-85CM RCBS cowboy slugs drive inch and half groups at 50 yards with iron sights and make little more noise than a .22 LR, but are more effective. I’m don’t know whether the factories ever loaded small game rounds for the .25-35 like they did for the .30-30. But when hand-loaded with cast lead bullets designed for the .25-20, at similar velocity, the .25-35 WCF makes a fine small game cartridge.

I cast the RCBS bullets of wheel weights and shoot them un-sized. 4 grains of Bullseye gave 1120 f.p.s. and 5 grains of Bullseye gave 1200 f.p.s. The fastest cast bullet load which shot acceptably with the plain-based RCBS bullet was 7 grs. of #2400 for 1420 f.p.s.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for replies; keep 'em coming ! I've got the bullets, an 85, 110, & 125, either in PB or GC. Data is what's rare. So far with the "boolits" , 4759 and 4227 have worked the best. Trail Boss, Bullseye, & Titegroup have been "spotty". The 85 gr loads i've found have been OK; just looking for more options. What i really want to perfect is the 100-120gr boolit loads. The 2400 intrigues me. I KNOW 2400 is on that page in that complete guide to reloading book. Still hoping someone can find that page for me...
    John Boy... thanks, unfortunately i don't cast but THAT boolit sure would be an answer. Ever see anyone offer that boolit for sale ?
    Outpost.... is that 7gr of 2400 for an 85gr? Where should a 100 gr/125gr be ?

The 2400 intrigues me. I KNOW 2400 is on that page in that complete guide to reloading book. Still hoping someone can find that page for me...
    John Boy... thanks, unfortunately i don't cast but THAT boolit sure would be an answer. Ever see anyone offer that boolit for sale ?
    Outpost.... is that 7gr of 2400 for an 85gr? Where should a 100 gr/125gr be ?
    beefyz - ARE YOU TOTALLY BLIND? The pdf file that I took the time to scan and attach in my post has FIVE 2400 powder charges for different weight bullets: 85 - 87 - 100 - 111 - 117 Print the file and READ IT There is no loading data on the chart for a 125gr bullet in Sharpe's book on page 354!

Truthfully, I believe you are in fairy land some where. The Ideal 25717 bullet that again I posted for you is an obsolete bullet. You'll have to find from a vendor which I know no one makes or sells any of the 25717 bullets including the 125 or 157gr one ... use a comparable bullet for your fairy land endeavor
    And here's some further education for you: the 25-35 caliber was a black powder bullet. So your best bet is to load any of your bullets using Hodgdon's formula with Trail Boss to emulate a BP charge of 35grs of BP which was the origional charge for the 25-35 caliber. Here's the link ... http://imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
    Last edited by John Boy; 07-26-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Totally blind.... in fairy land ? Maybe i'm not as smart as you , but at least i never insulted people or was condescending when trying to help. YOUR POST DIDN"T OPEN, for whatever reason. If it had i would have thanked you sufficiently . You don't see me accusing you of not knowing how to post something.
    Thank you for the TB info, which i already have access to. It would have been my last resort. Just wanted to see what the rest of you guys were doing. Sorry for your inconvenience

Lee data sheet they enclose with .25-35 dies may be helpful.

Attachment 200588
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, Thank You, the 90gr lead was my original start ( I am using the Lee die set). My intent was to try and find data for some of the "larger" boolits as i remembered seeing data for them a few years ago when i originally saw it in that book i mentioned above. Siting up VERY late last night, I found that page again from a posting on another site, and was able to re-copy it. I'm certain JB above had it also for me but for whatever reason his link just wouldn't open.
    Ironically, i had earlier called Lyman and Alliant and even they didn't have this page/nor data. They did caution about using old data as powder make-up could have varied over time. JBs suggestion about TB was a good one and I will also pursue that.
    Thanks to all who replied......
    z

Sorry John Boy; the 25-35 and 30-30 were both introduced in 1895 as SMOKELESS cartridges. Get your facts straight before your tirade next time.
    Best, Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

The .25-20 was first introduced as a BP load in 1895, but went to smokeless soon afterward.

Whelen, Townsend. The American Rifle, The Century Co., New York, 1918, pp.220-223
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Yes it was. AKA the 25 WCF
    However the 25-35 Win was only called the 25-35. Except Marlin's version the 25-36. FWIW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FWIW you can get a used copy of Complete guide to Handloading on amazon for about 50-60 dollars. Not cheap but not the 500.00 some are asking for a copy.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

What, no paper patch loads?

Lost a lot in relocating but found initial stability testing notes from 2010 for Lyman #257325 and BC2. Nothing spectacular but no problems. Starting charge was developed by calculations.
    And I need to figger out a paper patch boolit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beefyz View Post
    Hi. Need some help w/this bit of nostalgia. Even though lead is supposed to be a problem with the 1:8 twist of this rifle, i've had pretty good luck with it. Trouble is i'm looking to expand my powder options and can't find data for it. I saw way back a very old book, "Complete guide to Handloading" pg 354 had the whole page dedicated to 25-35. My copied page was blurry and out of focus. Does anyone have a copy of this page and can forward it here ? Would be VERY appreciated. Looking for lead data for 85-88s, 100s, 110-115s, 125s. I'd like to use powders i've used in my other levers like 32-20 & 30-30 like 2400, 4759, red dot, 4227, Trail Boss, etc . Anyone have any data similar on any of these? Thanks
    I have the pdf of that book, 458 pages. Do not have a way to send the one page. It is clear. Do not remember where I found it, but it was available online.

Still available: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...20-%201937.pdf
    Last edited by ulav8r; 07-28-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added link

Boolit Bub
    THAT WAS UNBELIEVABLE !!!!! , and Thank You. Yours opened up and it was even clearer than the copy I found late last night, so i copied it again ! Didn't know that book was that rare. Only yourself & John Boy seem to have a copy of it so far. I've been reloading since '79 and about 90% of those powders don't even exist anymore, but at least its a start for the 2400 i was interested in, and possibly the Unique. I've already made up 5 loads to test with it but its been raining like mad here . When i test them i'll post results; maybe others would like the challenge of making this work. I've read so much about how bad lead seems to perform, i took that as a challenge. I've always liked the .25 calibers and think they are highly underrated. That's the reason i got this caliber 4 mths ago. Thanks again for your time Ulav ....

beefyz,

Please post your results, because inquiring minds want to know. I would be a bit cautious in using the heavier charges listed for old Hercules #2400 by Sharpe, not so much that the powders are different, Larry Gibson's pressure tests reflected only normal lot-to-lot variation, but much old data was not pressure tested, but work up using subjective pressure signs which are less reliable. Old Lyman data also has some #2400 loads which I would not approach!

I did get VERY good results with 7 grs. of #2400 with the RCBS 25-85CM plainbased cast bullet in the .25-35, firing them in an 1894 Winchester with 26" barrel.

Firing Remington jacketed 87-grain softpoints in the .25-35, velocity was about 1400 f.p.s. using 10 grains of #2400 and shooting into water jugs expanded them 0.32 caliber, with no appreciable weight loss. Drive these same thinly jacketed soft-point bullets very much faster than they were designed to go, and they fragment violently, making a non-ricochet varmint load.

Testing the 87-grain Remington softpoints in the .25-35 with 14 grs. of #2400 gave 1950 f.p.s. and blew apart a Food Lion meat manager’s special frying chicken, 50 yards away, to smithereens, scattering pieces of bird over a 15 ft. radius. Neighborhood cats, raccoons and foxes appreciated this, as by morning even not even a trace was left!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Daniel at "The Bull Shop" keeps me in cast bullets--several calibers. He knows his business and helps shooters find the proper bullet for their needs. Turn-around time is short--from putting in an order with him, to when the bullets arrive on your doorstep is a couple weeks or so at most. I have a comfortable supply of his gas-checked .25-35 bullets.

http://bullshop.weebly.com/-25-calib...t-bullets.html His list of caliber/bullets is under the "more" button on the home page.