Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you size your cast bullets?

Boolit Master

I still use my Lyman 45 and I size ALL my cast boolits. That's the only way to ensure uniformity. Largest decision is have you slugged your barrel? That must be done to ensure you are sizing to the correct size
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Ogre View Post
    I still use my Lyman 45 and I size ALL my cast boolits. That's the only way to ensure uniformity. Largest decision is have you slugged your barrel? That must be done to ensure you are sizing to the correct size

I size to fit the chamber throat, not the bore. I have two Lyman 45 sizers that I use for all my sizing and use traditional lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I started using the Lee push thru size for 38/357, first with tumble lubed then pan lines boolits. I didn't find pan lubing to be very enjoyable or fast, so I swiped my dad's Lyman 45, cleaned it up and loaded it with Ben's Red and am pretty happy with it. I've size 9mm, 38/357, 40 and 45 with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys , I've already found this thread useful.

Boolit Bub
    since ive started casting a couple of months ago, ive been using the lee dies on an inverted press for my pc boolits

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Master Samwise View Post
    since ive started casting a couple of months ago, ive been using the lee dies on an inverted press for my pc boolits
    That's pretty swift, looks neat. think I'm gonna copy that.

Boolit Master

Depends upon what I'm lubing. Boolits for my BPCRs are pan-lubed and shot 'as-cast'. For the rest, I've got two Lyman 450s: one 'clean' (no lube) for sizing PCs and one w/heater that's loaded with Carnuba Red for everything else. I PC all my handgun caliber boolits and most of my CF rifle calibers but there's still a couple of my guns that seem to like lubed boolits better than PC. Plan to work more with those this summer, though.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    My rifle boolits I size with the Lee sizer. I had them make a closed nose profile die that I use to seat the gas check, as I was having trouble doing it per the instructions. Most of the time I'll fill the lube groove by hand and then size it. I don't much care for the LLA, although at times I will use it for " as cast" boolits. The pistol and revolver boolits go to my RCBS lubrisizer with carnauba red.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I use an RCBS Lube-A-Matic II, has worked fine for me since I got it new back in the 90's, works fine with or without gas checks. I guess I bought it because most of my reloading equipment at that time was RCBS (still is).

Steve.......
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

When the boolits that I am working with have a full lube groove, I use my Star lubesizer, and if they are tumble lube with micro-grooves then I use my Lee push throughs. I tried powder coating, and it works just fine, so now I need to decide to switch over to powder coating for everything or keep doing what I am doing.

Boolit Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlO-hf2-7o

My Auto sizer using a Lee press and sizer dies.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I started my casting and sizing using a Lyman 450. I had read and knew of pan lubing, just never tried it. It never occurred to me to try bullets that weren't sized to the recommended diameter. It wasn't long after I got into casting, I bought a Star sizer and have both Stars and a Lyman sizer now.

I like the look of powder coated bullets and realize their potential, but I have a tendency to cast coffee cans full of whatever I'm in need of. I'm just thankful we have all the options that are out there.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Perma-Banned
    I use Lee push through sizers

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Lubrisizers do the bulk of the work here . In some cases I might need a bullet smaller after it has been sized and lubed . At that point I use a Lee size die to reduce it a little .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

How do you size your cast bullets?

W/ these

I have a third one that's freshly rebuilt. And a fourth one on the way for some reason.

Have one of these.
    http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dra...DDE1C.mp4.html

And then I have these, it's a very old pic and the box is now full.

I use the LAMs, Star and NOE bushing system for different purposes. Depends on what I'm loading. Lately it's been mostly the NOE bushings because BLL works so well. One day I will automate the Star and life will be good

Boolit Master

Lyman lubrisizers for me. I have two 450's on heaters and two 45's with soft lubes.
    I started casting over 30 years ago and for the next 20 yrs only had/used one - one of the previously mentioned 450's (bought second hand then). I have since added the others for convenience. Its nice just to grab a sizer ready to go without having to change lubes or dies.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Cast boolit from appropriate alloy. Pan lube with White Label 50/50. Use wood dowel to punch bullet from cooled cake of lube. Size with Lee push through sizer. Load and shoot. simple and it works.

Boolit Buddy
    I have Bégin with à saeco lubrisizer ,and i hope finish with it for rifles and pistols

Boolit Grand Master
    I lube on my 450 and the push through on the professors set up
    which as you know uses the same sizing dies as the 450 does
    lube larger the size where I want it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Good thread!

I use 2 different lubrisizers and the Lee sizer.

the first lubrisizer that I bought was the classic old school Lyman 45. I did not care for it with pistol bullets with NRA 50/50 lube, so I migrated to using 45-45-10 tumble lube and finishing with the Lee with my 38 Specials. My grandsons love to help me with the process, so it's a joy to all of us. I found the regular Lee Alox to be messy, so seriously consider 45-45-10, Ben's liquid lube or equivalent over The Lee lube.

I do like using the Lyman 45 with 30 caliber rifle boolits. I hope to convert to the stiffer BAC lube to limit the mess of 50/50 lube.

I did buy a new RCBS Lam II that works great on my 45 pistol boolits with BAC. I considered tumble lube on these, but am quite happy with the RCBS.

Good luck and have fun!