WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite old timers and why

Boolit Master

Still have copies of Ruark's "Something of Value"
    I got started on Ruark in Field&Stream I believe with "The Old Man and the Boy" series. I have that book and have read it many times over. What a fantastic way for a boy to grow up!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I would add Harvey Donaldson for his work on cast bullet handloading. Also Frank De Haas and Paul Matthews. And Dean Grennell.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I got started on Ruark in Field&Stream I believe with "The Old Man and the Boy" series. I have that book and have read it many times over. What a fantastic way for a boy to grow up!
    Also have "The Old Man and the Boy" hardback collection of his Field & Stream stories. Didn't discover those until after I'd read "Something of Value" and started searching for more of his work.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Ned Roberts, Gerald Kelver

Boolit Buddy
    Jim Carmichael

I'm young in this crowd, I grew up with "Coopers corner" and articles by Massod Ayyob (SP?). I agree with Cooper being snobbish and very particular about his "wants". But no one beat the "holier than thou" drum as much as Massod!

Boolit Master
    Keith, Cooper , Grennell, Skeeter and many more.I read tons of stuff when I was a kid, still do.I remember getting rid of 5 stacks 4 foot high of gun mags moved them 3 different times could'nt do it the fourth time.Never cared much for Askins though, but they were all characters most of us are to just runs in the family.

Boolit Master
    It's strange, but about two months ago I sent an email to Guns & Ammo and asked why there were no hunting articles where people were using revolvers. I specifically said revolvers, probably more than three times. I mentioned that there were many articles about people shooting gnats at 1k yards, black rifles on most pages, but try to find one about a hunting revolver. They told me that in a sister publication there was an article involving a hunt with a large caliber pistol, but that was about it. All I could do is shake my head.

Oh, I like Bob Milick and Ross Seyfried too.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 05-11-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I wish I had back 10 cents on the dollar on all the gun rags I purchased back in my youth (I'm 63 now). Many influenced me, but none more than Skeeter Skelton hands down. Reading the writings of Skeeter or Bill Jordan were akin to reading a letter from someone you actually felt like you knew, few writers can do that.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I've read them all. Liked all of them (but not Cooper) at one time. Opinions change with age and experience. Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and Finn Aagard are the ones I still count as worthy of reading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    Cooper was a great writer but he was a "Snob".
    Snobs are a lot like mustard.
    It is good when applied on the right food at the right time, but not on all food all the time.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

Elmer Keith, "Sixguns" and "Hell, I Was There" in particular.
    All of Skeeter's articles.

And not really old timers, but...
    John Taffin and Jim Wilson stuff.
    Brian Pearce nowadays also.
    And Dick Thompson's adventures he posts online.

Boolit Master

Ken Waters writing connects with me. Flipping through Pet Loads is always a good read, even about cartridges that I have no connection to.

Veral Smith's book has been very useful to this new caster.

Boolit Master
    Lucian Carey's stories about the machinist/gunsmith/shooter JM Pyne. I have all the stories in a collection by Guy Lautard.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Do any of you "older guys" remember anything about a sequential vortex?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Do any of you "older guys" remember anything about a sequential vortex?
    Once upon a time there was an idea that the pressure curve could be controlled by loading two or three different burn rates of powder, the idea being to use a fast powder first then progressively slower, the slower powders igniting later in the burn would extend the pressure curve and yeild higher velocities. Dick Casull used the concept, a triple powder charge in developing the 454 Casull. Pressure testing with piezo electric transducers showed the idea to be bunk, the powder charge did not ignite sequentially. This method should not be confused with duplesing which is a different application of a similar concept where a small charge of a fast er powder is used as a primer charge for larger charges of a very slow powder. Elmer Keith and a couple other fellows (I don't recall their names, the 338 OKH is their namesake) experimented with a variation using a cartridge case with a tube centered in the cartridge to carry the primer ignition to the front of the powder charge (the concept is used is/was used in cannon cases). Their experiments came to nothing as well.

Ed mcgivern fast and fancy revolver shooting

Elmer Keith I grew up with him(shooting wise).
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Lord,do those names bring back a bunch of great memories.George Nonte,now that does bring back memories of when my Mom first saw his picture.He and his fancy Snivley Whiplash moustache.She went googoo over that.Dad about laughed himself silly,and when asked whats up,he said it reminded him of a Sgt he had during WW1.Thanks for this thread,great stuff.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I would add Harvey Donaldson for his work on cast bullet handloading. Also Frank De Haas and Paul Matthews. And Dean Grennell.
    Harvey D would have been one of my first choices. The book with his letters to Handloader "Yours Truly by HD" done by Wolfe publishing is just excellent. I sometimes grab it off the bookshelf just to peruse again. If you haven't read it, find a copy. It won't disappoint.