Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: What is this stuffin my pot?

Boolit Master

What is this stuffin my pot?

Started a new batch of alloy and when I brought it up to temp (675 F) this "stuff" came to the top and I skimmed it off. It looks like silver colored oatmeal and is in small, half dollar size, clumps.

Never had this occur before. Any ideas?
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Bub
    Zinc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antimony. use more heat.

Boolit Master
    What is the source of the alloy and what is it supposed to be? If this is believed to be COWW I would venture a guess that the "oatmeal" is Zinc because there would not be that much antimony in that alloy. Also, are you absolutely sure of the temperature? We need more information.

Boolit Master

Agreed. Zinc is the likely culprit. Heat the mix to 600 aqnd flux with wax. Stir. If it is still there, then it is zinc. Antimony will go back into the mix; zinc won't at least not at that temp.

Boolit Grand Master

Get some swimming pool acid (muriatic acid) and a glass dropper. Drop a drop of the acid on your oatmeal, if it sizzles it is zinc. If not it is something else.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Get some swimming pool acid (muriatic acid) and a glass dropper. Drop a drop of the acid on your oatmeal, if it sizzles it is zinc. If not it is something else.
    Pull out of the melt and allow to cool first of course.

Boolit Master

The alloy is COWW and it was bought from a member here. Don't remember who it was as I bought it over a year ago. This is the first time I have had this happen.

Im sure of the temp as it is PID and analog thermometer checked.

I will test it with muriatic acid.

Thanks for all the info
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    It could be zinc but could just as easily be junk that wasn't skimmed very well during smelting. I've had smelted ingots that I though were pretty clean produce surface junk in the casting pot. Did you cast any bullets? If so how did they look?

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search and read the information on fluxing with wax and with sawdust. They do different things to the melt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Sometimes I get a silvery cottage cheese on top when fluxing with sawdust. usually, I flux again and stir it well and it goes away. No problems casting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pics please.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I use pine shavings that we have for our guinea pigs and rabbit, they are a little big (the shavings) so I just wad a handful up and tear/rip/twist it up into finer pieces. that's my favorite flux, though I do use wax on occasion.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.