MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Sorter

Boolit Bub

Case Sorter

Has anyone tried the plastic three tray case sorter?

I haven't , but I heard alot of people say they work

Boolit Master

Not familiar with the case sorter. Where can I learn more?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Never heard of that. Got a pic or link?

Tnx,

Dave

There's another thread on this topic going already; here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36527

Boolit Mold
    I have been using them for the last couple of months, and they work quite well. I don't dread sorting cases near as much as I used to.

Boolit Bub

Yes & No & BOO!

Yes - I shoot, mostly, .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 40 S&W and 45ACP. It will separate the 45 ACP and the .32 S&W long to separate trays, but the .38 Special and the 40 S&W are sorted to the same tray. Since 40 S&W is easy to spot when mixed in with the .38 Special - I don't find this to be a big problem.

This product should be considered a must have accessory, if you use the Lee Load Master, with the case feeder, and shoot the calibers I shoot. Almost all the problems, JAMS, I run into using the Load Master are related to the case feeder, not the primer feeder as is often reported! .40 S&W cases get lodged inside the 45 ACP cases and the .32 S&W long cases get lodged inside the .38 Special cases. This almost always jams the case feeder. It takes two
    7/16" wrenches and a couple of minutes to clear. Most importantly, it breaks your rhythm and generally makes you angry!

No - It will not separate 9MM and .380 auto. It will separate the .380's and 9MM out of the 45 ACP and 40 S&W. Used to shoot a lot of 9MM - Don't shoot or load much anymore. When I did load 9MM I hated .380's. I was using Dillon equipment then. Some how .380's would get into the mix and really screw things up, crushed cases, jam in the sizeing die, etc.

BOO! - This product cost about $50.00 delivered from Midway. It sure doesn't look like $50.00 to me. Many of the members of this forum have a lot of mechanical skills. If you also have a router or a saw with a dado head and some scrap lumber, I think, you could make this product in couple of hours.

Hope this helps!

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry11826; 10-03-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

I built the one below, 380, 9X19 and 9X18 fall into seperate bins. .223 goes in with 380 and 38 super falls with 9X18, so it's not perfect. The link is to a video of it running when I first set it up.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rterhopper.flv
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sorter.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    That's really nice. Great work.

One way to solve the intermingling brass issue may be to create an angled V-tray over the bins and under your rollers that have cutouts for the shell lengths. Say with the 38 super and 9 X 18 the the first cutout the brass would slide to would be .720 or so and the next for the 38 super .920. I don't know if it would work or not but it might be a good staring point.

Boolit Bub
    jmorris -

WOW!

When I said some of the members of this forum had mechanical abilities - I never dreamed!

You have a gift. I could never do anything like that.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    i just got a set of midway's trays. i sell mainly 45 acp and 223, and was hoping this might speed up the current hand sorting. the first tray is excellent the 45's and 44/45 colts pop to the top, all else goes thru. i use just that tray in a 5 gal bucket, use about 1.5" of brass, shake and dump.
    i have a customer that wanted some 38/357 so i tried the second tray. the issue here is 9mm cases inside 40s&w cases....lots of them. so he is getting 40/38/357/9mm...he has a real sorter so not a big deal to him.
    the last tray does keep all the 9mm class brass and drops the 22/25 and 5.7x28 cases.

i think it is faster.
    that is because when done sorting i still have to go back and remove steel and aluminum cases.
    did about 30,000 45acp cases in 4 days...not bad.

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY
    Last edited by mike in co; 10-05-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009

Red face pretty cool

but what would i do during the football games if i did not have 4 to 5 different buckets in front of me sorting brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post
    but what would i do during the football games if i did not have 4 to 5 different buckets in front of me sorting brass?
    ummmm, watch football Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post

i do the same thing...all my large dia pistol(44 and up) go in one bucket that is sorted just prior to a gun show. same for 308/44 special; same for 7mm mag/300 win mag/7.62x54r.

and now i have a bucket of mixed 9mm class cases to do too...

so much fun....
    mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Boolit Grand Master

jmorris,

Great design on the case sorter. One question, tho - what purpose does
    the toothed feed wheel serve? I see it straightens up the cases and
    drops them into the feed chute, but it seems like this would work about the
    same with a screw feeder or just a big hopper. Maybe to keep the feed
    rate low so the cases don't jam up on the rollers?

Thanks.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry11826 View Post
    Yes - I shoot, mostly, .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 40 S&W and 45ACP. It will separate the 45 ACP and the .32 S&W long to separate trays, but the .38 Special and the 40 S&W are sorted to the same tray. Since 40 S&W is easy to spot when mixed in with the .38 Special - I don't find this to be a big problem.

This product should be considered a must have accessory, if you use the Lee Load Master, with the case feeder, and shoot the calibers I shoot. Almost all the problems, JAMS, I run into using the Load Master are related to the case feeder, not the primer feeder as is often reported! .40 S&W cases get lodged inside the 45 ACP cases and the .32 S&W long cases get lodged inside the .38 Special cases. This almost always jams the case feeder. It takes two
    7/16" wrenches and a couple of minutes to clear. Most importantly, it breaks your rhythm and generally makes you angry!

No - It will not separate 9MM and .380 auto. It will separate the .380's and 9MM out of the 45 ACP and 40 S&W. Used to shoot a lot of 9MM - Don't shoot or load much anymore. When I did load 9MM I hated .380's. I was using Dillon equipment then. Some how .380's would get into the mix and really screw things up, crushed cases, jam in the sizeing die, etc.

BOO! - This product cost about $50.00 delivered from Midway. It sure doesn't look like $50.00 to me. Many of the members of this forum have a lot of mechanical skills. If you also have a router or a saw with a dado head and some scrap lumber, I think, you could make this product in couple of hours.

Hope this helps!

Jerry
    Why buy it from Midway when you can buy it directly from the guy who makes them and it is $10 cheaper. Plus Midway charges you double for shipping. He doesn't.

Boolit Bub
    How do I buy direct? Midway sez they will have an additonal tray that will sort the 9MM out of the .380's. I would like to buy this from the maker - Don't really need this right now, but will probably start shooting 9MM sometime in the future - so I will need to sort the .380's out of the 9MM. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Jerry

Boolit Master
    he has an ad in american rifleman, dillon sells the same in thier catalog.
    gonna call him now myself.
    (well maybe not..i only get one mag....where did i see it...shotgun news ?? dillons catalog?
    now one to sort 22's out of the trash...

mike in co
    Last edited by mike in co; 10-15-2008 at 02:59 PM.

So, do any of you guys know how to "quickly" sort 22 rimfire brass from gravel? After using the case sorter trays for my range brass, I've got at least two 5 gallon buckets full of rimfire brass and gravel. I don't want to sort it all by hand, but haven't figured a better way. Some of the gravel is bigger than rimfire, most of it is smaller, and some dirt/sand too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry11826 View Post
    How do I buy direct? Midway sez they will have an additonal tray that will sort the 9MM out of the .380's. I would like to buy this from the maker - Don't really need this right now, but will probably start shooting 9MM sometime in the future - so I will need to sort the .380's out of the 9MM. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Jerry

Here is the link to buy it direct for $39.99.
    http://www.shellsorter.com/
    He is now selling the .380 sorter with free shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!