1+3=blue

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    1+1=cherries

1+2=logs

1+3=blue

Is this the "common core" way of doing it? Lol

Banned

pretty close.

I'm not saying doing it is for everybody, and I certainly don't do it for all of my rifles.
    but I will take a good shooting rifle and make a project out of it.

I run a crew of 18-24 guy's and needed to get them and their trucks across state lines, get everything set up on a remote location and figure out how to get excess equipment, manpower, and materials from Wyoming to wherever we happened to be going.
    this generally meant relying on third party's or contacting a local camp and ordering stuff well in advance of our arrival.
    I also had to make sure these guy's could operate our equipment and that it was maintained properly.
    never mind getting them to work on time or scheduling vacation and replacement personnel.
    then making sure the other crew on the opposite shift had the exact same stuff.
    I done this everyday for 16 straight days.

in my 5 days off, picking and poking at little details that were completely removed from everyday stress was my outlet.
    dumping boolits on a table before shoving it through a sizer and shooting it was stuff I done when I was a kid, sometimes you just need to move along with your hobby.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The RPM Threshold is indeed alive and well. There was a very good sticky defining and explaining the RPM Threshold but it was deleted by the moderators when I was banned.

...SNIP
    I don't believe any of those threads were deleted (there were a few of them), but the ones that were stickied (there were two), and those two were unstuck. I believe most of them (however many there were?) have been closed.

I believe it was these two.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...velocity-chart

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ists-Chapter-2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Hence the reason why I bought a 1/12 bolt action 223 last year.

This threshold sounds like either a bullet of certain hardness exploding into pieces upon leaving the muzzle or excessive deformation and leading on the way to the muzzle. I tried some Lee 170gr 2000fps loads in my 1:12 twist .308, which puts me at 120,000rpm. I'm glad that I can stop there instead of pushing my Lyman #2 to something crazy. Accuracy is great too, so I guess we all get lucky on our first try with some guesswork.

shoe

Banned

The bullet skids and slumps and enters the throat not centered. All reasons of horrible accuracy. That is why copper jackets were invented to help correct those conditions. Once you can get rid of each of these your accuracy is going to improve dramatically.

But you have to be able to understand the reasons that each is happening.

Boolit Man
    Would Powder Coating act as a "jacket" of sorts which might help keep the integrity of the bullet tightly bound together? Of course, up to a reasonable point. I fully understand the extremely powerful centrifugal forces pushing material outwardly, hence the need for high degree of hardness. I can't help but wonder that if PC is one tough coating, would that be helpful in our search for increased velocity? The question then becomes: how much more?
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Boolit Master
    It is not a search any longer. Velocities of 3000 fps with accuracy have been reached with the xcb bullet. If you search for it you will find several threads on this forum.

Boolit Master

This threshold sounds like either a bullet of certain hardness exploding into pieces upon leaving the muzzle or excessive deformation and leading on the way to the muzzle.
    That was quite common in National Match shooting when the M16A2 (AR15 HBAR in civilian guise) was adopted in the mid to late 80s. Shooters looking for the best scores at 200 yards or the 100 yard reduced courses of fire would load the lightly skinned 52/53 grain SMKs to 3,300 fps giving 339,428 rpms. It was not uncommon to see a little blue puff of smoke between the shooter and his target. The bullets were just spun to dust in the 1 in 7" twist of the new barrels. They shot best in the 1 in 14" twist barrels of the 222 Remington at about 3,000 fps and 154,285 rpms, but did and still do well in the 1 in 12" barrels at 3,300 fps and a computed 198,000 rpm.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-04-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    It is not a search any longer. Velocities of 3000 fps with accuracy have been reached with the xcb bullet. If you search for it you will find several threads on this forum.
    Searched, found, and reading some of those - fascinating. Thanks for pointing me to enlightenment. My question about Powder Coating is still nagging at me...
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Banned

it's a coat not a jacket.
    helpful?,,, yes,, a real jacket?... no.
    there is no magic path to high velocity cast shooting.
    a slower twist barrel makes things easier, it isn't a magic solution to learning or getting there.
    it's more like having a calculator in your pocket instead of an ink pen.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it's a coat not a jacket.
    helpful?,,, yes,, a real jacket?... no.
    there is no magic path to high velocity cast shooting.
    a slower twist barrel makes things easier, it isn't a magic solution to learning or getting there.
    it's more like having a calculator in your pocket instead of an ink pen.
    Roger that sir. The coat vs jacket really helped. You are right about there been no shortcuts to learning.

Boolit Mold
    Powder coating and HiTek are more like plating a bullet. The coating seals the lead off from the shooter/barrel but is super thin. It's key benefit is that it eliminates the need for lubing, allowing the bullet to be run in a progressive press more cleanly and eliminating the possibility of lube contaminating the powder.

unlike plating, there are plenty of reports of coated bullets reaching 3000 fps.

My 308W AR runs 175K & 194K RPM, 1:10 and does 1 1/2 MOA (bad due to me) - 168gr PC cast GC. The itty bitty 223 boolits have a problem due to low rotational momentum/inertia/mass. Imperfections are a larger % of mass, create larger apparent imbalances. Boolit alloy needs more shear strength (what Cu does) to prevent failure.
    Whatever!