Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel segmenting slug on a wild boar

Steel segmenting slug on a wild boar

Recap on my hunt:

First day, hunted what I thought was The backside of Harris, but ended up being the Myers unit which is archery only. I had my slug gun. Ran into a nice feller out there and told me the error of my ways. I quickly departed the area to grab by bow out of my truck.

I bumped about 6-7 deer off the road bedded down in the thicket. About 10 secs later, I jumped the biggest boar I'd ever seen. He was so big, he could barely run. I pulled up my shotgun and easily could of dropped him. Archery only, so I ran to the truck and grabbed my bow. I went back and stalked around in the area for about an 1hr or so. Nothing. I headed back to the truck and moved over to Goode. Distance walked: 3.6 miles.

I got to Goode about lunch time and just wondered in. They were laying them down in Goode. Sounded like a Chicago Saturday night, it was so much shooting. Bumped into a trad guy that had been in pigs thick all morning but could never get a shot off. He said, "If I'd had my shotgun, I'd smoked about 20'by now. Screw this bow, I'm grabbing my shotgun!" And off he went.

I trumped around there for roughly 2 hrs. Nothing. Sign everywhere.

Went back to camp and kicked with Charlie6Delta and BTLowery. They told me how they wished they had a slug for the pigs in the wheat field on the backside of Harris. Figured I'd hunt there that evening so I went out about 3 pm and stayed till almost dark. Nothing. Walked almost 9'miles the first day.

Yesterday morning was nothing to right home about. Justin, his buddy and I only put in about 3 miles. Justin met up with some of his buddies (and fellow GS'ers) and they were saying how hot and heavy the end of BM were. Wasn't looking forward to humping 2.5 miles just to the back pipeline and THEN TRYING TO FIND HOGS.

I ain't no punk, so off we went. We got about 1.5 miles down the main road on BM when I saw a huge sounder of hogs to the right of me off in the woods. They came out in front of us at about 50 yards. We all cut loose. We all missed.

Finally, we get to our spot after walking in 2.5 miles. We had to cross this ridiculous **** creek with about 20 ft steep banks on both sides. Spoiler Alert: I ain't the spring chicken I used to be so I was a tad bit concerned.

After crossing the river, we headed in the woods. I was behind Justin and his buddy by about 40 yards. I would take a few steps. Stop. Listen. Repeat.

During one of my stops, I noticed a pig trotting through the thick forest at about 60-80 yards. I hurried and pulled up my slug gun, having the muzzle training in a small opening I thought me may set out at.

He did. I shot. I saw him buckle and then haul off.

Honestly, I didn't think I hit him. We looked (in the wrong spot) for blood, but Justin's Buddy found a few drops.

We tracked it for 30
    Yards or so when I noticed a black mound laying on the edge of where the pipeline meets the forest. I loaded another one of those awesome steel slugs just in case. Good thing I did, because as I approached, the pig jumped up and bolted. With the quickness, I shouldered my weapon and dropped him down for good with the slug entering the middle top of his back, each segment of the slug broke up and exited the pig in various places, while the main body of the slug exited the neck.

So let's talk about this slug. It's designed to fragment in 6 equal parts to create its own wound channel, and that it did.

My first shot was far back. The slug destroyed the liver while pieces of the slug fragmented and cut the lungs up. All segments exited except one that I found in the lungs.

The slug hit with such great impact, the pushed entrails out of the ENTRY wound! Pieces of rib bone exploded and sent them flying through vital organs in the pig.

I picked bone fragments out of liver, lungs, ponch, and kidneys.

The second slug hit middle back, segmented, and exiting in 7 different places on the hog. I did recover the wads, but no slugs.

I am super excited how they performed. Can't wait to try them on deer.

I quartered the deer out, packed in my ALICE pack, and humped it 2.5 miles out. That pack was heavy as sin, weighting about 60-70 lbs. I did' rhjnk I was gonna make it, but I did.

Most physically demanding hunt ever.

Here's the LDP's:

NOTE: this is what I posted on a bowhunting website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Humping tha USH is no small order either. Would change your handle to "gutpile" but that's taken on another site BT. Way to "choot em!"
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I put in 18.2 miles during this weekend's hunt. 16 miles of that was humping the USH.

Never again.

In Remembrance

great report!
    now im more excited to get to some slug loading (been focusing on tungsten for turkeys)

what load did you use?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

32 grs of Longshot in a clear Fiocchi 2.75" hull, and the steel segmenting slug.

I bet he fell straight down

Actually, he ran 30 yards and laid down. Then he jumped up when I approached and I had to anchor him again. No doubt in my mind he was on his way out had we not pushed him. His whole cavity was filled with blood, even his nut sack.

In Remembrance

how big was the pig?
    I admit I wasn't too excited abt these when I bought them, but seeing as all 7 chunks fully penetrated; that's another thing altogether
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Steel segmenting slug on a wild boar

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    how big was the pig?
    I admit I wasn't too excited abt these when I bought them, but seeing as all 7 chunks fully penetrated; that's another thing altogether
    Somewhere in the 200-220 lb range. He was a mature lone boar.

Got some good meat off it

Thanks for the story and the load recipe. Now the important question, how are you going to cook those hams?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Thanks for the story and the load recipe. Now the important question, how are you going to cook those hams?

BB
    I'll smoke one to make pulled pork. All the rest will go to making summer sausage.

Boolit Master

Congratulations! Sounds like a good hunt, and a great looking meat pile. That segmented slug is dynamite. Wow!
    Bulldogger

Hello, have you ever tried salt curing it and making wildhog prosciutto ham?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyfromItaly View Post
    Hello, have you ever tried salt curing it and making wildhog prosciutto ham?
    We kill so many pigs here, I'd try it. If I screw up, I got plenty more. How ya do it?

Boolit Master

That's a long process and needs a controlled environment. Sausage is a winner, make sure it gets to 166* at some point, trichinosis and what not.....
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I'll smoke one to make pulled pork. All the rest will go to making summer sausage.

BT,

I love pulled pork, when's dinner time?

BB

Boolit Master

I can't believe he got back up after the first shot with pieces of his innards hanging out. Tough bugger. Good shooting, and good eating.