Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

Boolit Master

Nice Group Brad, here is my best so far, 240 gr XTP over 14.5 gr of 2400. Only about 15 yards but thats real good for me off hand in the snow...

Boolit Buddy
    That's fine shooting in my book! I want to try some 2400 in mine too. I feel alot better about mine after getting it back.

Any leading issues?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

No but understand I have firelapped it and recut the forcing cone. It actually shoots really nice now. A definite favorite.

Boolit Master

I also forgot to mention that I shimmed the wiggle out of my rear sight. It had .017 clearance in the slot so wiggle it certainly did, a lot...

Looking good. Thanks for the couple of updates.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just spoke with a very helpful fellow from Ruger. He called to let me know that my gun had been received and would be getting a new cylinder and barrel. The new throat spec is .431. Barrel is being replaced to correct front sight gap.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    I just spoke with a very helpful fellow from Ruger. He called to let me know that my gun had been received and would be getting a new cylinder and barrel. ....
    Did he express any feelings over why these new guns would need new cylinders and barrels? I really want one, but this thread is surely disheartening about the hope of getting a good one on the first try.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Did he express any feelings over why these new guns would need new cylinders and barrels? I really want one, but this thread is surely disheartening about the hope of getting a good one on the first try.
    The throat spec has been changed from .434 to .431 which should help with accuracy. The barrel is being changed to help correct the gap under the front sight.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    The throat spec has been changed from .434 to .431 which should help with accuracy. The barrel is being changed to help correct the gap under the front sight.

What are the odds that the 14 guns sitting at Davidson's Gun Genie have the newly spec'd throats? This is their second shipment in the last couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbiner View Post
    What are the odds that the 14 guns sitting at Davidson's Gun Genie have the newly spec'd throats? This is their second shipment in the last couple of weeks.

Good question. But I guess it should be immediately apparent. Big gap under front sight = older gun. Little or no gap = newer production.

But that is a complete guess on my part.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbiner View Post

The good news is, Ruger is aware of the issue, and if you get one with throats larger than .431 they will make it right.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The good news is, Ruger is aware of the issue, and if you get one with throats larger than .431 they will make it right.
    Yep.

Got a UPS tracking number today. The gun is on the way back. I should have it Monday.

Boolit Buddy

Well I just got mine today, wish I would have read all 16 pages before I looked it over; I will be calling Ruger this week. I checked the cylinder and it has .431 throats, no noticible choke in the cone but leading with some cast bullets - fired everything I make/made 200-265 grain SWC and everything shoots to the right; even at 10' it shoots 5" right with the rear sight all the way to the left. Took a good look at the barrel and it is noticably overtorqued to the left.

The PRO's - the trigger as as good as my match champion, fit looks good (gap between the top of crane and the frame but not horrible,) B/C is .007, cylinder looks more consistent then most .431-.432. Locks up tight and feels really nice in the hand.

Cons - Barrel is off, leading and their is what appears to be a gap between the frame and the barrel threads.

I was hopping all this was behind them but I must have gotten a first run. I still have high hopes, I have not had the issues with most of my Rugers that most have (still out on the .480, need to replace the sight.) All in all the last 5 or so guns I have bought have been pretty good. 2 - Lypses .44 spl, Match Champion, two .41 mags, a .22/.22 mag and 77/44 rifle.

I thought bad about the MC but after shooting the heck out of it, I have found that it just one of those guns that is picky about its loads; likes its cast at .357 125-150 grain.

Powersgt
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

I have the repaired firearm back in my possession. UPS dropped it off about 45 minutes ago.

The cylinder and barrel have been replaced and the gun looks exceptionally nice. It had a small scratch on the top strap when I sent it in but it has been polished out and the gun looks brand new again.

There is still a small gap underneath the front sight but it is only about the thickness of two pieces of paper.

Included is a printed copy of the test target.

Cylinder throat measurements, using my small hole gages, indicate four throats at .431 and one throat at just a smidge over. Probably. 4315 with more precise calipers. Furthermore a cast bullet sized .430 passes easily through while a cast bullet sized .432 does not. I don't have any sized .431 currently.

Here is the gun with some Pachmayr Compacs I scored off eBay. Sorry if I outbid you...

Boolit Buddy
    Lookin' good!
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Hope it works out for you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I'll try to get some rounds fired this afternoon. I still have a few odds and ends that didn't shoot well in the gun with the original cylinder. Fingers crossed that some (or all) will shoot okay now.

Boolit Buddy
    I plan on trying out various cast and coated bullets for my refurbished GP100 44 Special. I recently received a sample pack of 25 polymer coated 240 grain SWC .430 bullets from Bad Guy Bullets. These bullets drop right through the cylinder. I am interested in a load that comes close to the original old factory load. May order a hundred of these sized to .431.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.