Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for holster recommendations for fullsize 1911

Boolit Buddy

looking for holster recommendations for fullsize 1911

I'm looking for a holster for a fullsize 1911, either something that will loop in with a belt or clip onto a belt, I somewhat prefer the clip on style only because we do not have easily obtained carry in my state so I carry around my property, so anytime I leave it has to come off. I'm open to leather or polymer, I prefer some type of retention just for added piece of mind. The big thing is I'm looking for something that does the least amount of damage to the guns finish, I know sliding in and out of something will eventually leave marks or wear, id like to see if I can find something that may minimize wear or slide marks. The gun is a brushed ss finish with black coating on the top of the slide, I currently have serpa retention holsters and while I do like them so long as theyre properly used, none of them are made for a fullsize 1911. So please recommend away!! I would really like to find something soon so I can stop carrying around my wifes gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Safariland stuff.

They make several that have a paddle attachment that holds a little better than a clip. Look at the Model 5198. It has some retention. The Model 568 is a good choice too but has no retention. Some of their holsters have a suede lining that protects the gun finish.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a Bianchi 100 Professional (IWB) for this role. Contact area due to the pistol's size is high enough that retention is not a problem. The holster is a snug fit.

The paddle (high holster side that covers the hammer) prevents the 1911's cocked and locked status from abrading a hole in your hide.

As far as wear, the harder the holster interior and the looser the fit the greater the wear. Choose correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple years ago I discovered Front Line KNG holsters, made in Israel. I like them.
    KNG (Kydex New Generation) have several layers and a soft inner lining like velvet.

There are two tension screws on the side so you can adjust the draw,
    and you can see the black snap....pop that open and you can get it off your belt
    without removing the belt totally. (requires opening the belt buckle for me.)

For a 5" 1911, the thumb break belt model is KNG914 BK
    They make a paddle version, but I don't care for them.
    They are not that easy to find...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frontline-KN...YAAOSw32lYrEuP

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    BEST and most comfortable concealment holster I have ever used for a full-sized M1911, 5" S&W N-frame or Super Blackhawk! I also have them for SIG P230 and Colt Official Police. After many years of experience you want to standardize on the same carry holster design THAT WORKS for every gun you might carry. This is an IWB with reinforced opening permits one-hand reholstering.

https://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-21-...e-holster.aspx
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I went through a few holsters to find what works for me and my 1911 for OWB this one http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0de...45885a05d27bfb
    and for IWB this http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-226-11-summer-cruiser.aspx good luck on your search
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    I think that something like this would be best for your purpose, . Easy on, easy off, assuming you leave the gun in the holster while it remains behind as you go off to market, it shouldn't do too much damage to your finish. Though I regret to say, any holster used extensively will damage that like-new finish on your pistola.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1100.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	189107
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

I am big on Bladetech. They have holsters for every gun known to man or can make it if it's really weird.

Most Blade Tech Holsters will accommodate several types of belt attachments. they are held onto the Holster proper with screws and are easily changed to suit whatever belt or carry configuration you want to use at the time.

They have Belt Loop attachments, they have Paddle style attachments, and they have their own system called Tech Loc which allows quick removal from any belt.

They also have "inside the waist band," set ups.

As far as retention goes the basic holsters can be adjusted to have however much tension you want or need on the gun to hold it in place. just by having it adjusted tight you could do pretty much anything you need to, including handing upside down, and not need a Mechanical Retention System.

I have 5-6 of their holsters for guns like all my Glocks, CZ82's, my Kimber 1911 Commander and even my S&W 696 Revolver for when I shoot IDPA with that gun.

They are pretty good products and allow more flexibility than any other system I've seen. They also have attachments for your magazines and any other thing you might wish to carry.

Hope this helps, http://blade-tech.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I'm partial to the Galco pancake, slides over the belt securely and I've carried a full size Gov't .45 in it and forgot I had it on, outside belt thumb break. Blackhawk makes a good inside belt holster at a decent price, (under $50.00) strong clip, good leather, and comfortable. I carry my Commander in one, but wouldn't hesitate to get one for full size.

Boolit Master
    If you can find one: Milt Sparks Original 1AT holster!

Never been a fan of clip on holsters, tried a few in compilation shooting and it was amazing how many came out with the gun!

New paddle styles might do better I don't know, finding a left hand 1AT for less than a house payment has been a drag!

Currently using a Blackhawk serpa for both a full size 1911 ( they stopped making these???) and a full size Taurus PT99.

Boolit Master
    ProLine Leather by Greg Kramer. Get the horsehide scabbard and the matching horsehide belt. Wore mine for years every day as a peace officer for years. ProLine leather is the only way to go.

Boolit Master

Not so easy to get on and off your belt but, IMO, it's awfully hard to beat the old Askins 'Avenger' design. Originals are hard to find but I understand that Bianchi/Frontier is making them again.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Simply Rugged you cannot substitute quality simplicity and function.

Moderator Emeritus

I've used a good many IWB holsters for the .45's I've owned, but never liked any of them until I got an Andrews Leather Co. "McDaniel." It's all leather, lined so it won't wear your finish, and goes inside the pants with various snaps for different size belts. It's by far the most comfortable, accessible and concealable holster I've ever used. One of the neat things about this one and few others, is that it tends to tuck the butt in, which makes it more concealable. I've worn it in all sorts of situations, and nobody has yet spotted the gun. One does have to watch how he bends down when wearing any sort of gun, lest it "print" as we do so. But it's definitely THE most comfortable and servicable IWB holster I've EVER used, in my experience, and I've tried a lot of them. It's higher than many, but certainly not prohibitive, and it'll outlast any of the "synthetic" holsters, bar none. So in the long run, it's a pretty darn good deal.

The biggest problem with ANY sort of IWB holster is they generally aren't comfortable to wear for many folks. This is why I'm so high on the McDaniel. Grat holster, and if you get one, I doubt you'll ever be without it. AND, you'll wind up carrying it a LOT more than a holster that's not nearly as comfortable. How many times have we heard, "I didn't have my gun because the holster makes it uncomfortable to carry?" The McDaniel has really proven itself to me, and I've had mine now for a good many years. It's my go-to holster for concealment, almost always. Not long ago, got a Galco "Avenger," and like it too, but it's an OWB type, and if I'm carrying concealed, I like it a tad better.

And the McDaniel is available with our without a safety snap. Mine has it, but it tucks the gun in so well I don't really think it's really needed. I've even thought about cutting the safety snap off mine. And the one without the snap is a few bucks cheaper, which is always welcome. Good leather that'll last your lifetime and one or two more ain't cheap, but it's always worth it. There's leather from shoes floating around the Titanic now, after all these years! Leather is so much more durable, over time, with a minimum of care, that nothing quite equals it. I've had many of the cheapie nylon jobs, but every one of them, except maybe an old Bianchi mag pouch, has had the sewing come loose after a time. That doesn't help a lot! And Kydex can, if exposed to enough light for a long enough time, get more brittle, and CAN break. So that's why I really love leather. The good stuff, though, isn't cheap, but it's always THE best pick. And in the case of the McDaniel, it keeps the gun at just the right angle, and won't let it slip this way and that. That ain't no small thing if you ever need quick access to it! Just a FWIW?

Boolit Master
    For an easy on/off then I have used paddle or belt clip holsters. Two I used with my large autos were the Fobus paddle and Blackhawk belt clip.

But...paddle holsters can sometimes be a pain to put on as the paddle will 'grab' the shirt. And most are made with little 'hooks' to keep them in position, which can make them hard to get off. Belt clip holsters generally go on easier, but, can be a bit finicky to remove as they are made to 'hold' onto the belt and not easily removable.

So, for my carry guns I went to pancake holsters. Easy to slide off the belt. Almost as fast to unbuckle and slide on/off as it is to insert/remove a paddle holster. And they held the gun close to the body. Might not be as comfortable when working.

I did like the Blackhawk belt clip as I finally found the combination of finger positions to get the thing to let go of the belt.

So, my recommendation would be a Blackhawk belt clip holster or a regular belt holster.

Boolit Grand Master
    for concealment it is hands down
    http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-277-21-...s-holster.aspx
    I have had numerous iwb holsters and this one is the most comfortable that I have found
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    May I suggest you look at N82 Tactical? MANY LEO's use them locally & they are excellent. I got one,,, then another,,, then another!

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I think that something like this would be best for your purpose, . Easy on, easy off, assuming you leave the gun in the holster while it remains behind as you go off to market, it shouldn't do too much damage to your finish. Though I regret to say, any holster used extensively will damage that like-new finish on your pistola.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1100.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	189107
    This one seems just right. Rugged, simple and has a retention strap.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Milt Sparks or Mernickle.

The Hunter field holsters serve well for your requirements. I use several on the farm & hunting.
    The Bianchi Shadow works great but requires belt removal for dismount.