WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zoli Zouave

Boolit Buddy

Zoli barrels were excellent the locks required some tlc

The lock parts are a bit soft.

Well...as promised. The de farbed, refinished and browned 1971 ZZ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoli Zouave 1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	181371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoli Zouave 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	181372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoli Zouave 3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	181373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoli Zouave 4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	181374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoli Zouave 5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	181375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoli Zouave 6.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	181376 The big mechanical items are the stock/barrel/band interface shimming and mine took .035" 1st band and .015" 2nd band brass shims. If it groups well, done, but it may need accra glass bedding and I'm looking for advice from musketsmiths out there so please chime in. The lock took bearing surface polishing and a new tumbler, reduce the mainspring to 8 lb lift at the cone, fit the hammer to the tumbler square with wedge shims and reducing trigger creep with a brass shim attached with JB weld to the tumbler under the full cock notch and filed to fit. The final "piece de resistance" is the hollow end of the rammer filled with solder and cut and lapped to the shape of an expanding ball nose. Crazy thought...mount a 4" picatinny rail behind the 1st band for a hologram sight or laser. Now it goes on paper at 100 yds. with M1855 58/100 in. paper cartridges...stay tuned!
    Last edited by quail4jake; 11-24-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SamTexas49 View Post
    My 1st Zoli was purchased back in 1971 (I think from Shotgun news) was the 3 groove standard model. A few years later I was traveling and stopped in at Dixie Gunworks and they had (then) a barrel replacement (I think made by Numrich) that was a 7 groove barrel with all same dimensions except for bayonet lug and rear sight. Had local Gun Smith put a nice williams open sight on it and had also purchased that front slide on sight with the cross hairs in a globe. All that plus that 350gr SWC minie lyman made a mold for it now was a serious sniper rifle ! Sadly (as I imagine some of us have done) I sold it. The replacement barrel no longer exists and I regret selling it way back then.
    So I finally answered my own question about this barrel. here is the copy of page from the 1972 Dixie Catolog, 1972 that shows the drop in barrel for the Zoli. The pic shows sights on the barrel (it came with out sights) BUT dang that barrel shot so much better then the original (but Im betting the NSSA would disallow ?) Sadly it is no longer available. The barrel on the .58cal H&R Stalker is as close as it got but it would fit better in springfield stock/lock plus it is to short now.

I talked to the guy (friend) I had sold it to and he had also sold it later. Dang ! When I had it and shot in competition at the Alamo ML Club in SATX they were first wondering what I was shooting because of the perfect holes the 350gr semi-wadcuts were making at 50 yard X stick event. The rules werent that stringent on sights (williams rear and the slip-on globe sight from Dixie GW (still available), just had to be a musket type rifle and shoot minies !
    (dont ask me why its upside down, it is correct in my files 1)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dixie cat 58.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	188388
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

I love those old DGW catalogs! Loads of helpful hints in the back of them...and a few that could get one jail time these days. At a local gun show some years ago a fellow had a stack of them from the 60's. My brother was looking at something on his table and I casually browsed the old catalogs, the guy ask if I wanted them. I ask how much, he said, "Just take em, I don't feel like loading em back in the car." What joy! And what memories!

Boolit Master
    the zoli were the best off the rack guns. some needed a little tuning like most guns. we found glass bedding the tang and about an inch or two forward of the tang and eased up the wood under the barrel bands made them shoot.

the debate of them being issued or not. well if you read walter clines book you will see some were captured form the confederates when one of the cites fell. so did they buy them for Remington? you must remember they were rifles not front line muskets.

I have heard a couple of the locks have been recovered in historic battle fields, indicating they saw at least limited action. I have no idea where the link to that information is, but I do recall it. I have also heard that due to at most very limited us during the war, and short length making them unpopular with the guy in front of you when firing in ranks not what you want for enactor groups.

I have one but lack enough experience to confirm this second bit. They have a reputation for shooting patched round ball very well. Some reports have them doing PRB better than Minnie. I hope to get out this spring with about a pound of FFG and establish the facts on this for myself.

However is nice companion piece for a Remington 1863 C&B
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

Some real old stuff !

Just as a tease, check out these pics from the TC lindsey Country store in Jonesville Tx !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170218_151630.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	188559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170218_151625.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	188561
    Last edited by SamTexas49; 02-21-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

Some Zouaves with soft parts may be those from other manufacturers. I think Sears sold their version and some may have been made in Japan or other countries with different specs. I think a variety of makers were putting them out.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Super Moderator

................Lyman also imported a Zouave (have an article from "Rifle" magazine (1971). didn't mention who actually made it. Al Miller was the reviewer. Ist rifle was a *** so Lyman sent a 2nd one and according to Miller it was a real peach. In the article he was using loads up to 135 grs of 2Fg!

Speaking of Lyman, a friend of mine showed up one day at the range with 3 band Enfield repo imported by Lyman. No maker markings visible. It was a very fine looking piece and was a VERY exceptional shooter. I remember one day Bob and I sat on either side of the bench and took turns loading, shooting handing it back and forth across the bench. We were shooting at a 2' long piece of grader blade (maybe 8" wide) at 200 meters. We hit it very regularly.

What surprised me so much about it was it's easy attitude Bob just had some Crisco for lube and the good ol Lyman 575213 Minie'. We'd dump in 70 grs of GOEX 2Fg, push the cavity through the Crisco and ram it home, cap it and then sit down and fire. Then hand it across the bench for the next shot. That barrel got quite warm, but the accuracy remained and we never had to stop and clean out excessive fouling because it never did exhibit any. We shot it until we ran out of Minie's and he'd had a 1lb coffee can full to start with Sometime later I asked Bob about that Enfield as I had a mind to buy it. Bob said he'd sold it, which startled me. I asked him why, (he had 2 reasons') and he said because it was too accurate and wasn't a challenge, and also because the Marines were never issued Enfields. Yes he was a wacky Marine! He had sold it to a mutual friend for $500, which I thought was a fairly steep price for the time.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

How many good firearms have we sold in years past we wish now we still had !!

The one I refer to with soft lock parts was a DGW Zoli from around 1973-5. The main spring wore out after maybe 500 shots, didn't have the power to snap a cap after that. Replacement was simple and cheap though, the rifle new was less than $100 new, on sale from Dixie.

Now, the Remington rifle, 1862-1863, (Zouave) was intended by the government to be of the same pattern as the U.S. Rifle M-1855 as made at Harper's Ferry. Remington, in an effort to get rifles out the door at a profit simply used the older machinery from an earlier contract to make U.S. M-1841 rifles. The locks are nearly identical, the barrels, aside from caliber, bayonet lug, and sights are identical. The stocks were close enough to rough out on the old machinery and final finish according to the M-1855 patch box, trigger guard, barrel bands, nose cap, and but plate. This let Remington produce a rifle that was , "in spec" without the cost of retooling. Thing was, the government inspectors were not amused at Remington's ability to adjust to the situation and refused to pay full price for the guns. They were reportedly bought at a discount, stored away and not issued.

"Zouave" is a modern term for these rifles. I also have read stories of rusted relic condition Zouaves found on or near battle sites, (one states locks only found). Locks, triggers, barrels and rammers being the same as the Remington conversion of the 1841 rifle, and no photos or other providence provided, I can only assume what was found were nothing more than Remington conversions of the 1841 rifles that WERE issued to troops during the war, (the stocks having rotted away and the brass fittings misidentified, or ignored). Could any have been sold and shipped South? Maybe, Remington was in business to make a profit and may have been angry with the federal government for offering a discount price for different arms than they expected to receive and possibly sold some South, ( a risky venture at best that probably never happened). If any 1862-1863 Remington "Zouave's" found their way into combat, it was most likely guns sold to Volunteer units as a state purchase, no records exist indicating any state purchase of these arms, but who knows.

Rifles were popular with skirmishers, wing companies, and engineers...not so much with line infantry. The shorter length being a factor, the typical sword bayonet of the rifle being another. The bayonets being longer, heavier, and had a tendency to "slap" the calf on the march causing irritation after only a few miles and were "lost".

As for the U.S. M-1855 rifles, the South captured Harper's Ferry in 1861, and the M-1855's stored there as well as the machinery to make them. The machines to make riflemuskets of the 1855 pattern was shipped to Richmond where riflemuskets bearing, CSA RICHMOND, (and date) on the lock plate were made and issued. Machinery to make the rifles of the 1855 pattern was shipped to Fayetteville NC where it's believed almost 10,000 were made during the course of the war bearing CSA FAYETTEVILLE, (and date) on the lock plate. Fayetteville produced what Remington was contracted to produce, no other source of 1855 pattern rifles were produced after 1861. Neither Richmond or Fayetteville produced arms with functioning Maynard tape priming locks, the early locks were made with a hump but no effort was made to mill them for the tape priming mechanism.

Could Remington have been prosecuted or sued for trying to pass on to the government an inferior product, or something the government didn't contract for? It would have been difficult to prove. They DID produce a high quality rifle of .58 capable of accepting the 1855 sword bayonet and of the proper length and weight, aside from using the earlier 1841 pattern type barrel and lock, it would serve the purpose as well though not interchange. Probably why the government chose to discount the price and store them.

US M-1841 made by Harper's Ferry, altered by Remington.

Remington M-1862-1863 "Zouave" rifle.

US M-1855 riflemusket, (couldn't find a good 1855 Harper's Ferry rifle which was made only at Harper's Ferry so a Springfield riflemusket will do for the lock area detail).

Early Confederate Fayetteville rifle. Much closer to the US M-1855 that what Remington produced.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post

"Zouave" is a modern term for these rifles.

Not exactly a "modern" name for these rifles, but definitely a post CW name. Francis Bannerman bought many of the originals as surplus from the US Government in the years after the war, and it was he who invented the "Zouave" moniker, as he was at least as good at advertising as he was at buying guns at dirt prices and re-selling for huge profits. Check out any Bannerman's catalog, even one of the widely available reprints, and you can see "Zouaves" for sale.
    I have no idea of whether these late model rifles were actually used in the CW, but every book on CW small arms that I have ever read pretty well insists that these were never issued and were sold off after the conflict.

I was surprised to see the limited space around the nipple holder (bolster?) on the original Zouave. I have seen a lot of scorching of the wood right behind the nipple from back flash out the nipple and onto the hammer face in used guns that were shot a lot and just figured it was an expediency of the Italian manufacturers to shorten the distance behind the bolster.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    I was surprised to see the limited space around the nipple holder (bolster?) on the original Zouave. I have seen a lot of scorching of the wood right behind the nipple from back flash out the nipple and onto the hammer face in used guns that were shot a lot and just figured it was an expediency of the Italian manufacturers to shorten the distance behind the bolster.
    I've never owned an original Zooie, but have had a few M-1841 Mississippi's and M-1842 muskets and the wood burn out behind the nipple is a problem. Probably why they went to the different style bolster in 1855.

Boolit Master
    I even had some burn marks on my lyman gpr. the way around it is to coat that area with wax like mothers car was. I even use pledge with oil.

I merely took an oval 3/4"X1.25" piece of aluminum, copper or steel sheet metal and with a fine chisel & file put a square hole in it to slip it over the nipple as a flash guard. My Zouave & Buffalo Hunter are looking good as new. Make a couple of them and keep them in the patch box in case you lose one.
    Hellgate in Orygun