Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Tony - sulfur will remove the zinc and make the alloy harder - you may not need to WD after coating. Most of the toaster oven fan motors are induction motors and will not run right from a PID. Find somebody to wire it direct with a cord, plug the normal plug to the PID, new one to the fan. SSR will work on 240 (if so rated) but need a larger heat sink. US 220 is single phase, split to get 110.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give it couple days then check the hardness. I have a Lee BHN tester. I know for sure when I tried Water quenching then oven it would soften the lead. So now WQ after I do last coating then it hardens the alloy. I'll try that and see how hard they become from the sulfur.

Thank you all who helped out with this.

I have confirmed to myself, at least once, that the Hi Tek will not allow you to violate the usual rules of hand loading that you would use with any other lubricant. It's not a magic wand that suddenly transforms your bullet into a super hero. It is just a simpler, easier, cleaner way to put a lubricant between your bullet and the barrel. In some cases it might be prettier. My latest were not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	188067 This is that bunch of left over coating all mixed together. They are ugly as far as color goes. And not all that good looking when cast. Thankfully, I can't duplicate the color.

Trip with them to the range yesterday wasn't all that successful either.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	188068 This is the best group.

The load is a 45-70. Bullet is Lee's 459-405-HB (actual cast and coated weight is around 409 gn) Three coats baked 12 min. at between 390 and 400 F powder is IMR 4064 53 gn in a Hornady case with CCI primer.

The group wouldn't be too bad since I was shooting off a rest at 100 yards with iron sights. The bad thing was I was having to aim 8" above the center to get close to the center. Was aiming at center with 51 and 52 grains of powder and bullet was going low missing the target and the backer board. Yes I know a 45-70 is not a .308 or .223 but I was expecting a flatter trajectory. The sights were maxed out as far as adjustment. I think I'm going to look at another powder and maybe put a scope on it.

But the real item for this thread is that the lubricant worked. Wet Frog Lube patch followed by a dry patch removed most of the powder fouling and the rifling was clearly visible with a bore light. No leading.

Now I may not have cast a perfect bullet or done a perfect job of coating or even loaded a perfect round for this gun. There are several things that I can adjust to get what I want. But the lubricant did it's job.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    I understand. Was just asking..
    No I have posted couple times I have not have time to shoot these. I wanted to get coating down first. My lead is WW And i quench after last coating to harden alloy.
    Have you been trying Hitek for a year and not shot any coated bullets yet?

Boolit Buddy
    No I have but nothing worked.
    Shot around 50 or so in my glock 21 and had great results. I actually had great results. I loaded the with lead load data.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=TonyN;3951387]No I have but nothing worked.
    Shot around 50 or so in my glock 21 and had great results. I actually had great results. I loaded the with lead load data.
    /QUOTE]

What happened when you used them?
    MARK

Boolit Buddy
    I had some lands that had very little gray but it brushed right out with the bore snake. But most shot with no color once cleared out.
    All I really seen was burnt powder. I haven't cleaned the barrel yet so I'll take couple pictures.
    I'm very pleased with this Hi-Tek coating and will buy more for sure.

Just remembereven with Hitek, fit is KING, cast to bore fit is hugely important. Ask Trev what he thinks on this.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    I had some lands that had very little gray but it brushed right out with the bore snake. But most shot with no color once cleared out.
    All I really seen was burnt powder. I haven't cleaned the barrel yet so I'll take couple pictures.
    I'm very pleased with this Hi-Tek coating and will buy more for sure.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Don't ask me....I'm done with it.

People ask for help and guidance.
    You offer it, but no notice is taken.
    Why bother?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Hey all, what is alproximate shelf life of hi-tek coating once mixed together (stored in a 1 qt sealed steel paint can). I only mixed a small amount to give it a go. I botched it the first time around due to the wrong balance of ingredients (I think). I stored the leftovers as mentioned, which made ke winder how long it will last like that. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Should still be good in 12 months time.
    Just keep it sealed and cool.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Should still be good in 12 months time.
    Just keep it sealed and cool.
    Also, mixture may darken and change from original colour, and mixture may thicken a little, but adding more solvent, it should be OK to use.
    Just make sure that it is mixed well before you start decanting to coat.
    Important, keep it out of sunlight.

Just have to chime in and say, although it may have been as painful for some as it was for Tony, there were tips posted that I also didn't know. I learned a few things that will surely save me time and frustration and for that I'm thankful to Hi-Tek and Trev for enduring. Down the road others will surely read these posts and also benefit, time was not wasted. Thanks again Gents.
    Be careful what you wish for!

At 416 pages, and growing, this thread is getting to monumental proportions!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    At 416 pages, and growing, this thread is getting to monumental proportions!
    I am still half tempted to print this thing out and turn it into some kind of guide

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger82 View Post
    I am still half tempted to print this thing out and turn it into some kind of guide

I recall, that someone wanted to write a book from this blog.
    There has been certainly a lot of interested people seeking information.
    This is a great site, and members are very switched on and help all who asks.
    Thanks to all.

Same reason I stepped back from the Mic..

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Don't ask me....I'm done with it.

People ask for help and guidance.
    You offer it, but no notice is taken.
    Why bother?
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup. I take this as a lesson learned as what to do and not to do. Others have also got great info from this. Someone will or does have this problem I had and now they can see the problem and might fix it and be on there way. It sucked really bad but I stuck with it and said Hi-tek was what I want to use so I stayed with it.

Boolit Buddy

I just got my HiTek powder in the mail today , and wont be using it for a weekor 2 because of an injury to my shoulder and I do not even have an oven as of yet but I will be getting one the first part of the coming week. My real question is , how long AFTER you cast up a batch of bullets should you wait to coat them or does it matter .....Im sure that this has been asked but I haven't read the hole thread yet and at 8 or 9 thousand post that will take a while , thanks in advance
    Tom
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    Tom,
    You can coat them as soon as they reach room temperature.