Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure - Now Available

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Does this measure not have a shutoff valve included to separate reservoir from drum like the Perfect measure does?
    Yes it does. Twist to shut off and just lift the hopper off.

It does seem to leave about 80 grains of HS6 in the measure in my case - I just cycle a case thru there about 8-10 times to clear that out.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's what I was going to suggest to the earlier poster that said it left powder in the measure. While that's a fair amount (80 grains) if pistol size charges are metered and it needs a lot of actuations of the lever to completely remove it, it's better than spilling it. Shut off the measure's valve, dump the powder, then remove and dump reservoir.

With 45 ACP sized charges of HS6 you'd have to activate the lever something more than a dozen times. With 32 ACP sized charges I could see it getting a bit tedious. With rifle charges it would be no big deal.

Received mine today along with the Rifle Charging Die Kit (one die each for small and large cases). I ordered it from FS Reloading on the 28th and it arrived on the 30th via USPS. $8.80 shipping and handling. $35.00 for the Auto Drum and $11.18 for the two dies.

Cleaned it and the dies inside and out with really hot water, no soap, let it all dry then installed it on the Lee Classic Cast Turret press using the short rifle die. The turret was set up with 221 Fireball dies.

I put a primer in a sized case and started dropping and measuring charges of Reloader #7 powder. Didn't take long at all to adjust the small drum to the charge weight I wanted ... then started weighing charges. I did more than 20 drops and could not see a difference in weight on my balance scale.

No leaks but RL#7 is not a fine ball powder, nor is it a long stick powder.

So far so good. Next test is to switch to the large drum and drop charges for the 45-70. I will use either Varget or H-4895. If that works well I will likely pick up a second Auto Drum and have one each dedicated to large and small drums. I think in the long run it will be less wear and tear to adjust the drum capacity with the key than to switch out drums. Not sure how well the plastic threads in the drum will hold up to repeated change outs.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ3 View Post
    Initial testing with HS-6 not as good as expected.

Powder drop accuracy was on par with the autodisk, but it actually leaked more powder than the autodisk. Looks to be migrating through the labyrinth groove the drum rotates in. Tried tightening that until it started impacting the return rotation of the drum - still leaked.

Everything is cleaned and wiped down to reduce static. Tried dusting a bit with mica as well.

I'll have to play with it a bit more when I get time.

Update: I pulled it back apart and cleaned up all the mating surfaces again really good and re-dusted with mica and it seems to be leak-free now.

Did about 100 drops with HS6 and had zero flakes leak this time. I tightened the adjustment knob just a smidge past where the drum is movement free. Drop accuracy was mostly in the +/- 0.05 range.

HS6 is a pretty fine powder - for those unfamiliar with it.

Boolit Master

Anyone use one with a stick powder yet?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Reloader #7 is a stick powder. It's pretty finely cut and works great in the Auto Drum. Here's mine set up on the Classic Turret in Auto Index mode. Cranked out some good ammo today.

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I received my new pro 1000 in 223
    Last week set up and played with it over the weekend. I went ahead and bought the auto drum for its advertisements of being leak free.
    The first powder I tried was H4895 no issues with metering.
    Then I switch to W844 it is pretty fine. Again zero issues. Pushed through 250 rounds so far.
    The press has had its share of issues.
    Biggest issue right now is the loaded rounds do not drop down the chute! Also I,have the quick change base plate and can't find a container that fits well to catch the loaded round.

Boolit Master
    Wonder how one of these would work on a Dillon 450?

Boolit Grand Master
    The flow from the red powder reservoir can be turned off and on.

BTW, I own one and I like mine.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Im liking these reports so far. Im getting a classic turret press and this looks to be the ticket for my new toy.

Boolit Master
    I've been using mine for about six weeks now and just love it. I did have to do some experimenting with powders and have found that if using super fine powders such as Accurate pistol powders use the pistol rotors to minimize leakage, then it's not too bad. Using the rifle rotors with the pistol adapter leak bad with the real fine powders. Other powders like BE, HP-38, HS-6, 2400, Titegroup etc. will work great with either rotor. The only stick powder I've tried is 4064 and it works about as good as any measure I've used. Stuff like the Dot powders and Unique and 700-X aren't as accurate but still pretty tolerable. Since I've gotten this I've loaded about 2000 .223's with H335 and a couple thousand more pistol rounds with the above mentioned powders in 9mm, .38sp, .357 Mag, and .41 Mag and have had no problems at all. I run two single stage presses at the same time and can produce a fully loaded round counting all off press prep in about 12 seconds on average because of the ease and speed of the auto drum. It's also very easy for working up loads due to how easy it is to adjust.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a second one. Hopefully it works better than the first one I bought. That one leaked like a sieve and was really inconsistent w/ a bunch of different powders.

Boolit Buddy

Dragon, how did that second AutoDrum work out?

I am getting a classic turret and trying to decide on which Lee powder measure to get.

Loading 380 45 223 308 30.06
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Grand Master

Second one has worked fine. I did not pull this one apart and clean if. I did not run a hopper of graphite through it. I did remove a large metal burr on the inside of it. I filled it w/ powder, set the drum and loaded a couple hundred rounds on a 550B. Pretty sure I was using W231. May have been Universal. Regardless it didn't leak and dropped consistent charges. I didn't take off the double charge button or whatever it's called. It will be removed next go around.

Would love for someone to try to run some Varget through in the 40gr range to see what happens.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you Dragon.
    Μολὼν λάβε