Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

Boolit Master

I will find out and let everyone know!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The SAMMI drawing I have says the throat should be .431+.004/-.000... I previously thought it was .431+/- .002.

Optimally we would like to see .429 grooves, .430-.431 throats, and boolits at .431. That's what my BH Bisley and SBH Bisley are.

I figure Ruger will get this fine point in the Mfg. Process dialed in pretty quickly now that the test guns are coming back.

Randy

Not starting any bs, simply asking a question.

Everything I've seen from the saami/44mag showed a +.004" (except when noted). Under "notes" it has:
    Dimensions are to intersection of lines/all conditions apply @ mmc. They have a .4325" mmc dimension for the throat. I'm reading the print and seeing the the max throat is .4325". You're reading it as .4325" + .004" or min .4325" to max .4365"???

Boolit Buddy
    Geez...no disrespect but I would have been on a hot call to Ruger for a replacement. Hope this works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jrayborn View Post
    Well with this being my first .44 caliber wheelie, and with me always touching up the forcing cone on my revolvers I was very surprised to see how off center the forcing cone on this revolver is. I got it to clean up 80% all around and will shoot it now to see how it groups.

I shot 100 240 grain XTP's after firelapping to help smooth the bore and it grouped fairly large. I blamed it on the throats but seeing this I suspect the off center forcing cone is much more to blame. I have trimmed dozens of them and this is by far the worst one.

Sorry, I know my pics are not the best. Top pic shows the right side almost cleaned up and bottom pic shows the left side cut heavy.

We'll get this girl to shoot yet

Quote Originally Posted by Finnmike View Post
    Geez...no disrespect but I would have been on a hot call to Ruger for a replacement. Hope this works for you.
    I tend to agree.

Ruger can't fix what they don't know is broken.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just talked to customer service. My gun is in line for a new barrel and cylinder.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Just talked to customer service. My gun is in line for a new barrel and cylinder.

Boolit Master

Oh, no disrespect taken. I may yet send it back. But first I will see what I can get it to do. Giving up is just too easy

Besides, I think I may have this thing licked.
    Last edited by jrayborn; 01-24-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Forrest: the two drawings I have printed out don't give the actual Throat dimension but rather give the "Groove Dia. at .431." Then the notes under "Chamber" on the lower right of the dwg, say "all Dias +.004.

Both the drawings I was referring to are outdated (as of 8/15) and now what you quoted is accurate as I went to the site and saw what you saw. They have tightened things up a bunch. However throats at .433 would still be within tolerance. .4325 +.0005. A half thou tolerance is pretty close for a production type of part for a generic gun.

The Barrels on Rifles and Revolvers in this caliber used to be different with Revolvers being .429 and rifles being .431,,, now it looks like they are the same.

Apparently the industry has changed.

The "mmc" part applies after heat treat, so they have to plan for material movement and Cro-mo does move. Most of the Aerospace shops I know of locally who deal with Cro-mo regularly use pre hardened material to avoid this. It also yields better finishes as opposed to some of the galling and other disgusting finishes we often see on chambers. Just costs more for the tooling to machine the stuff.

I was also informed by one of the hi mucky mucks at Remington that they have started testing on 1:20 twist barrels for Marlin .44 Magnum 1894 Carbines. That alone should bring those guns into the 21 Century, and the nice versions of those guns I saw at the show were actually put together very well. Wood to metal was nearly perfect and the finishes of the wood and metal was very nice. The one gun I handled most had nice Color Case Hardening.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I recently picked up a new recent production Smith 629 4" barrel. Yes, it has the external key lock and MIM parts.

For conversation's sake I measured all six throats using my recenty acquired Starrett small hole gages.

The 629 has five throats that measure .4295" with the sixth throat measuring .4300"

I haven't shot the new 629 yet but I'm going to predict it'll shoot like gangbusters.

Boolit Master

I hope this thread is not indicative of a Ruger trend to sloppy manufacturing. If it continues, mention of Ruger will prompt the same type of response that mention of Lyman molds does.

Having said that, I have no recent experience with Ruger products. All my Ruger's are at least 10 years old.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I hope this thread is not indicative of a Ruger trend to sloppy manufacturing. If it continues, mention of Ruger will prompt the same type of response that mention of Lyman molds does.

Having said that, I have no recent experience with Ruger products. All my Ruger's are at least 10 years old.
    I'm sending my GP 100, 44 back too. I'm hopeful it'll be right when I get it back. I've been a Ruger fan since I was a teen but this is the second return firearm to them out of the 6 I've bought in the last 3 years. And, that's not counting the SR 1911 I fit an Ed Brown barrel in. The factory barrel's riffling looked like it was cut with a hammer and chisel. I also sent a New Vaquero 45 colt to Doug here on the forum to work on the throats but that's been a given with the colt. All my older Rugers have been right from the start. Hopefully they'll get it together. Thankfully customer service is tops.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cayton View Post
    I'm sending my GP 100, 44 back too. I'm hopeful it'll be right when I get it back. I've been a Ruger fan since I was a teen but this is the second return firearm to them out of the 6 I've bought in the last 3 years. And, that's not counting the SR 1911 I fit an Ed Brown barrel in. The factory barrel's riffling looked like it was cut with a hammer and chisel. I also sent a New Vaquero 45 colt to Doug here on the forum to work on the throats but that's been a given with the colt. All my older Rugers have been right from the start. Hopefully they'll get it together. Thankfully customer service is tops.
    I have bought 5 new Ruger's in the last 3yrs...3 or those 5 needed to be returned...as I have said before, this is Taurus QC at Ruger prices.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-27-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    3 out of seven since 2012 for me. Ruger has become Ford--You never buy their products until they have been out for 2 or 3 years.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Ruger You never buy their products until they have been out for 2 or 3 years.
    My guns were all single actions...been made near identically since 1973, when the New Model came out.

Boolit Buddy
    My GP100 44 is #3 of 4 new Ruger revolvers that I bought over the last 5 years and have had to send back for correction of various problems. This GP100 44 is also the last new Ruger that I will buy.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    My GP100 44 is #3 of 4 new Ruger revolvers that I bought over the last 5 years and have had to send back for correction of various problems. This GP100 44 is also the last new Ruger that I will buy.
    As worded, that is a logical fallacy.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    I have pretty much arrived at this point, too.

Since, W R Buchanan (Randy) has an inside connection with them...maybe he can mention this to them...although, they have to know it.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    As worded, that is a logical fallacy.
    BUT...the intent is well understood.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    3 out of seven since 2012 for me. Ruger has become Ford--You never buy their products until they have been out for 2 or 3 years.

I have stayed out of this thread because I have an overall love for Ruger. But the last good Ruger I have purchased was my first series Vaquero built in 1993.

In the past 7 years I have bought a used P345, a new Wiley Clapp GP100 in 357 mag and a new Blackhawk in 45 Colt.

The P345 went down the road for sight problems as well as problems with the magazine safety/cutoff. The GP100 was a nice gun but Ruger would not replace the front sight with a shorter one. It shot 12 inches low at 15 yards. Went down the road.

I ordered the Blackhawk new online from Bud's Guns shop. When it got to my local FFL I inspected it closely. There was rust on the front sight and tip of the barrel and the barrel was over-torqued so much that the the front sight was at approx. 11:00 o'clock as you sighted down the barrel.

And I am not even going to start on the Mini 14 that I had that would not group smaller than 6" at 50 yards.

I love my Vaquero. If all Rugers were built like my Vaquero the world would be a better place. But I will stick to used Rugers when they pop up.

Steve in N CA

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I have bought 5 new Ruger's in the last 3yrs...3 or those 5 needed to be returned...as I have said before, this is Taurus QC at Ruger prices.
    Similiar to my experience, i bought 4 brand new Revolvers all in one day (expensive day!) 3 of them ended up having to go back for repair, GP-100 shot so far to the left i couldnt adjust the sight far enough to get zero (They replaced the barrel on this one) I always clean a brand new gun THOROUGHLY as they are usually really nasty with oil, grease etc. to my AMAZEMENT this particular GP-100 was copper fouled worse than any gun i have ever seen to date!! I used a HARSH copper remover (Barnes CR-10) and spent several hours messing with it to get it clean, i actually got little strips of copper out of it, now mind you this was a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX GUN that should have been test fired 1 time, This barrel had been shot no telling how much? I am confident it was a HEAVILY used barrel. The other was a Ruger Black hawk .30 Carbine, i shot a cylinder full and when i went to push the empties out the ejector push rod would not go thru the cylinder holes, it came from the factory with the wrong housing and push rod (Ruger replaced the Housing and push Rod, Again this was another BRAND NEW IN THE BOX GUN) And last was a Ruger SBH .44 Magnum, took this one out of the box, loaded it up, fired it, went to pull the hammer back and it was bound up, the base pin had jumped forward, i pushed the pin back in, even removed it and the cylinder, reinstalled it, stil after each shot the base pin would jump forward (Ruger replaced the base pin and cross latch assembly on this one) again this was another BRAND NEW IN THE BOX GUN.
    Out of 4 Brand new revolvers i ended up with 1 keeper, a single six .22 .22 Mag convertible, it was flawless. The other 3 guns had to go back to the factory for repair. Not very good odds fellas! Even after all the bad luck, the only Revolver i currently own today is a Ruger 6" GP-100 Talo exclusive, I went with the Talo version in hopes that QC would be spot on, i got lucky and it was! I have looked at MANY MANY Ruger Revolvers at gun shops etc. and MANY of them i would NOT have taken home!! The ONLY way i would buy another Ruger Revolver would be at a Gun shop etc. where i could go over it with a FINE TOOTH comb! I believe they are an awesome gun when you get a good one, but be prepared to dig through a PILE of them looking for that good one.