Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pewter? Help me learn

Great for people who have smart phones. My phone has a cord. We actually live in a cell dead zone, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
    Actually this might help some of us older guys but I found an awesome app for my iPhone. Called super vision+
    Open it up and look at the details, zoom even if needed and you can take pics. Good for checking out guns I'm thinking on for import marks or simply all matching serials you can't quiet tell.
    You can thank me through a 1 bar shipment of pewter to me
    Any weight will do I'm not picky lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Great for people who have smart phones. My phone has a cord. We actually live in a cell dead zone, too.
    I'd trade ya since I bet you can walk out your door and shoot all you want

Actually the only thing we can shoot in the back yard is BBs and sling shots.
    Growing up, we could shoot a .30-06 from the garage. We had our own trap setup with a partially buried trap house to throw from. Some how dad never did his share of tossing clays.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
    I'd trade ya since I bet you can walk out your door and shoot all you want

This weeks pewter score was 1.2 lbs for $2.02. I'm no longer buying every pewter piece I see as I can look at and feel the difference between $2/lb and $5./lb.

Banned

I found a bunch of plates that I believe say "York Metalcraft" in a thrift store. I think it's around ten pounds for $38.50.

I searched for that name here, and got nothing. But I found references to it on eBay.

Anyone here have experience with York Metalcraft? I'm going to take my magnifier and look at the hallmark again.

Boolit Master
    I've seen their commemorative plates. It's all aluminum alloy like Wilton. Do these look familiar;

https://www.etsy.com/market/york_metalcrafters

Banned

The plates are plain, like the second one down on the right, and the hallmark is cast in, not stamped.

I was afraid they might be aluminum.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    This weeks pewter score was 1.2 lbs for $2.02. I'm no longer buying every pewter piece I see as I can look at and feel the difference between $2/lb and $5./lb.
    I need to slow down a little, too. Bought 2 pieces at Goodwill today. One worked out to $4.18/lb, the other $6.63.

Boolit Mold
    A friend gave me about 65 pounds in two pieces. The slightly smaller one was a lot lighter than the other one by a whole bunch. I used the cutoff saw to pull a couple of pieces. I ran them through my Lee tester and the heavier came out about an 8 BHN, close to pure lead. The other one came out to 33 BHN! Not sure what it is, but I'm going to see if it will alloy and mix. Should prove interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Booolits loookin' GOOD bro! I do as CRUSTY above says...50/50 lead and WW's. I pump in some pewter too... bit here and there...

My smelts are 'nasty' stuff so have to flux heavy with saw dust...some sulphur...end with wax and pour into ingots. When I cast...
    I water drop into COLD icy water and hope for the best.... I let the 'set and get happy' for a few months....then lube and relaod.

YOUR BOOLITS LOOK GREAT!!

Nose Dive
    Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Bought 3 items at Goodwill the other night that I was convinced were pewter. A Japanese basket, and two picture frames. All 3 bent and melted easily, with one of the frames leaving behind a lot of "crust?". After I skimmed off all the dross and poured it into ingots, I ended up with something that looks and feels a lot more like lead than pewter. Luckily I have access to an XRF, so I'll find out what I really have.

Bottom line for me, I need to be SURE that what I'm buying is pewter. IE, sticking to only things clearly labeled or hallmarked. Along those lines, there is a product out there by the Boone Company called "Polished Pewter". It ain't pewter.