RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for these .54 molds and info on the Sharps Christmas Tree Bullet...

Boolit Master
    i have never seen a steel 54 maxi-ball mold

Yea, the Lyman/Ideal molds were Steel. They are hard to find as I am finding out along with the T/C Curvy and of course the Sharps Christmas Tree but that has some options.
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Perma-Banned
    I remember reading quite a bit of bad about the Lyman steel Maxi molds, that was back in my Quest to find all of the different TC molds in .54 Cal, i cant remember all of the details, but i wanna say under, or oversized driving bands? I only found complaints with the Lyman Steel Molds. I ended up finding 5 of the 6 TC Molds for .54 Cal, TC did not mark the weights on the packages, just a mold no. per Caliber stating it was a Maxi Ball, or a Maxi Hunter. I found 3 different TC Maxi Balls, and 2 different TC Maxi Hunters, each weighing substantially different, and configured differently. I know this pic of mine has been on this forum LOTS of times but i will post it again, it shows all 5 bullets from my molds, all 54 Caliber, as you can see they are all differently configured. The top 2 bullets are from my Maxi Hunter Molds, and the bottom 3 bullets are from my Maxi ball Molds. All 5 of my molds are Aluminum. Also the smaller of the 2 Maxi Hunters has a sharp pointed hollow point pin, and the bigger Maxi Hunter has a rounded hollow point pin.

Attachment 184638

Boolit Master
    My cousin in Montana has the mold for the Sharps bullet, He may loan it to you to make them if you would make some for him. I will have to ask.
    and if you are interested in the partial box of 15, of the other, I have them, just pay shipping.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Perma-Banned
    I have seen a few different threads on here that talked about hate and discontent with Lyman Steel molds, and their customer service SUCKING at best. I know i read enough, and have been warned by 2 friends to stay away from their molds that i have done just that, being MUCH better off spending a little extra and ordering a mold from Accurate, or NOE. I do not own a Lyman mold, nor have i ever, so i am not speaking from personal experience

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman quality seems to be slipping allot the past few years. Undersized moulds are common which comes from using their mould cherry too long after it has worn down thus cutting undersized mould. This basiclally makes for casters having too small of bullets. You would think when they see their bussiness sales slipping, they would try to do something about it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    From my 54 the Thompson mold casts are bit more accurate than the Lyman. But when adding a Ox Yoke button wad under their maxi's. Both Maxi's then target equally well.

Powder charging.
    54 likes a heavy charging. I found what ever I shot out of mine required 90 to 100 by volume FFG to see the conical balls ultimate accuracy.

Haven't shot a Maxi in years at a deer. Just to much lead weight and overwhelming shock for a thin skinned animal. 230 gr P-Rd ball is> just right.

To me a picture is worth a thousand words. Rather than try to explain it, I dusted off some molds and took pictures. I believe all except the steel lyman were purchased at Friendship Indiana, it was 20 years ago when I bought them so I just cannot say for sure other than I am certain all of the aluminum molds came from a vendor at Friendship.

I have never had good luck with the Maxi style molds out of my T/C's either in 50 or 54 caliber with a 1 in 48 twist. The best groups were with a shorter bullet design like the buffalo bullets or the lightest Lee REAL per caliber size (See the 54 renegade HotRod Thread started by triggerhappy243). I believe this is why the Green Mountain 1 in 28 barrels are so desirable.

To the author of this thread Cag40Navy...PM me if something is of interest to you.

Attachment 184652Attachment 184653Attachment 184654
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Perma-Banned
    I nearly bought a Steel Lyman mold for my 357 (i cant remember the mold no.?) anyway, a good friend who owns a TON of molds talked me out of it, told me i would be MUCH better off spending a little extra on an Accurate, or NOE mold. If irc Idahoron had a bad experience with a Lyman mold along with their customer service. Not worth the risk to me, id much rather risk a 20 dollar Lee mold than a 80 dollar Lyman

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I nearly bought a Steel Lyman mold for my 357 (i cant remember the mold no.?) anyway, a good friend who owns a TON of molds talked me out of it, told me i would be MUCH better off spending a little extra on an Accurate, or NOE mold. If irc Idahoron had a bad experience with a Lyman mold along with their customer service. Not worth the risk to me, id much rather risk a 20 dollar Lee mold than a 80 dollar Lyman
    Although I wasn't aware of the current issues...I'm thankful all of my Lyman molds are older.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I wouldn't trash Lyman molds. Newer production should be carefully watched but a majority of the molds I own and use are Lyman and work wonderfully. Their QC and CS does suck.
    Last edited by Cag40Navy; 01-08-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Better understanding now.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman moulds are good or are when they are cut right but when you can't count on getting a good one, you naturally look else where. I have some too and they are good but they are older ones. I'd buy an older one no problem but new ones, I'd probably pass unless I didn't have other options.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Lyman moulds are good or are when they are cut right but when you can't count on getting a good one, you naturally look else where. I have some too and they are good but they are older ones. I'd buy an older one no problem but new ones, I'd probably pass unless I didn't have other options.
    mooman76, i was just getting ready to reply but you said it EXACTLY how i was gonna! Thank ya!

Perma-Banned
    I am definately not a Lyman Hater by any means, I have their 57SML peeps and 17 Globes on 5 different rifles, do the math and that equals a fair amount of change ($600.00 or better just in sights) I have heard plenty enough about their piss poor customer service to detour me from buying their molds, I understand when you get a good one they are great molds, but if you get one with an issue you are likely SOL, which is REALLY a bummer!! Good customer service means a TON to me! To many other outfits that will take care of ya if there's a legitimate problem

Boolit Master
    Moose moulds makes a copy of the sharps Christmas tree mold and they are on line

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)

Awesome. I will look into them! Ill still keep my eyes out for the Lyman version but this should be good as well! They do steel molds?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Hello! I would like to apologize in advance to the mods as I hope this is an ok thread to post. I figure it is best to try here and see if I can find these molds.

These molds seem to be fairly if not really hard to find and I figure its time to try here and see if I have any success in my hunt. Seriously, thank you so very much in advance!

1.) Thompson-Center .54 Maxi-Ball (Curvy Version). I am looking for this version of the Maxi-Ball that has trapezoidal lube grooves.

Attachment 184555

2.) Lyman 540619

3.) Lyman 548669

4.) Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet. I have read this went with .54cal sharps? Is this a true .54cal bullet for a Sharps ML or is this a .557 dia like the number leads me to believe?

You'd be wise to determine the land to land(bore size) and groove to groove dimensions of your rifle before you try either style bullet. Both are intended for rifles with a .54 bore. The maxi is oversized at the top band to engrave into
    the rifling with the lower portion undersized to bump up at ignition and obviously is intended for muzzle loading. The xmas tree is tapered the opposite way because it's loaded from the breech.The .557 is the widest part of the bullet, intended to fill the grooves. In either case, the bullet may be too big for your bore. Some Sharps are .54 bore size which would be fine, but others are not. My 1863 Pedersoli Sharps has a .520 bore and .540 groove barrel. I shoot a
    Moose .544 xmas tree sized to .542. I believe Shiloh percussion rifles have a .53 bore and shallower rifling than the Pedersoli which gives them a groove to groove size of around .540. Bottom line is you need a bullet that is .001-.002
    OVER groove size.