Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti Score

Boolit Grand Master

Uberti Score

Stumbled across a case full of like-new Ubertis just as they were putting them out last weekend. I've been thinking about a SAA clone in .357 as I have quite a few cases and boolits lying around. They had a sweet 5 1/2" El Patron in .357 that I couldn't put down; they had another that was almost as nice but I only wanted one. They also had a nice 4 1/2" .22 that I really liked the looks and feel of. Been on a bit of a 22 kick lately and have been eyeing Ruger Single Sixes for awhile, I like the Uberti better anyway.
    Story is Cabela's bought them from another store that couldn't sell them, they are like new with a little shop wear but priced as used. Both have the firing pin mounted on the hammer, as it should be. After a 10% discount it seemed like a sweet deal indeed so they both followed me home.
    Most of my SAA clones are chambered in 45 Colt and can be a handful to shoot, these new kids on the block will be good for my "kinder, gentler" range days, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1279.JPG  
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Perma-Banned

You did great...you will enjoy both of those. You were fortunate to find those nice, clean guns...in my area, a used clone is impossible to find. My .357 is a Cimarron...but it is the same gun. I had the Colt's SAA's...but sold them and kept the .44 Special's.

I just got this .22...which is a Uberti Stallion...I love it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8761_zpsvifbhld9.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	183060
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 12-18-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the Ubertis imported by Cimarron are a bit better than the average Uberti.
    The 22 may need a spring kit, hope it's the same as the other Ubertis. Seems I miss-counted awhile back when I was ordering spring kits for all my SAA clones and even a 3rd Gen Colt.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I think the Ubertis imported by Cimarron are a bit better than the average Uberti.
    The 22 may need a spring kit, hope it's the same as the other Ubertis. Seems I miss-counted awhile back when I was ordering spring kits for all my SAA clones and even a 3rd Gen Colt.
    I have several of both, Uberti and Cimarron...I see very little difference in fit, finish and smoothness of action...but that is just my take on them, they are both very good.

I seem to wind up changing the springs in all of them...whether they need it or not. Matter of fact, one of the 44's has really gotten too light as it has smoothed up from shooting...might be better with that factory spring back in it...but it is definitely sweet, like it is. I have Cimarron Bisley that came out of the box with a fantastic trigger...so, I have not replaced that spring.

Boolit Grand Master

I may be just my imagination but I think the Cimarron guns spend a little more time in the finishing department than the normal Uberti but I only have one and have only handled a few more. Hard to say because as you've noticed both guns are very well finished. Other special Ubertis seem to be a bit better finished as well...hate to admit it but they are all better looking and handling than my 3rd gen Colt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned two of the Uberti Cattleman revolvers, one each in 44/40 WCF and 45 Colt--both having 4-3/4" barrel lengths. They are decent shooters for what they are--VERY close copies of Colt guns that cost 4X as much and are no better mechanically and only slightly better cosmetically. The 44/40 shoots right where the sights look at 25 yards with SAECO #446 @ 900 FPS; the 45 Colt did likewise with both Lyman #454424 and #454190 at 850 FPS. I sold the 45 Colt when I got the Ruger BisHawk in 45 Colt--gross error. The Ruger only matched the good work of the Uberti after I finished building the Ruger (opened the throats from .448"-.449"). I will likely get a few more as time goes on.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Great find! I picked up an older Cattleman convertible 45 colt/45 acp when I lived in the Houston area. It's a fun gun for sure that shoots great.

Boolit Grand Master
    About three years ago, I got lucky at my LGS and found a Navy Arms-marked Uberti 5 1/2" SAA at a VERY favorable price because it was in the "unpopular" 32-20 caliber. Near perfect condition with walnut grips and nice case colors on the frame. Fast forward to this past weekend and a gunshow here in Central VA... I find a like-new "iron-frame" (actually case colored steel frame) Navy Arms-marked Henry rifle in 44-40. This is THE rifle for for N-SSA repeater matches and I got it for about half what a new one is selling for on the Uberti website. Life is good if you know where to look!

BTW, all of the Navy Arms SAAs in 32-20 were specially tuned here in the US, so they came to the user with a great feel when cocking and for trigger pull. Taylor & Co provided my latest SAA, a 45 Colt 4 5/8" in Smokewagon Deluxe issue... also gunsmith tuned in-house by Taylor. Both of my Uberti SAAs are sweet to shoot!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have owned two of the Uberti Cattleman revolvers, one each in 44/40 WCF and 45 Colt--both having 4-3/4" barrel lengths. They are decent shooters for what they are--VERY close copies of Colt guns that cost 4X as much and are no better mechanically and only slightly better cosmetically. The 44/40 shoots right where the sights look at 25 yards with SAECO #446 @ 900 FPS; the 45 Colt did likewise ....9.3X62AL

I hope when my finances recover I find a Uberti in 38WCF, maybe 44WCF. I have a few in 45 Colt but a 38WCF would go nicely with a couple of Winchesters I enjoy shooting. Seems I never see Ubertis in 38 or 44WCF around here. I don't load or cast for the grand old 44WCF but someday I probably will, another nice Uberti would be as good an excuse as any.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I have the twin to your Navy Arms 32WCF, Green Frog. Mine is that bright blue that doesn't wear especially well but it's a good looking piece and shoots quite well when my ammo suits it. Seems the chambering is a bit on the tight side and my other 32WCF's are a bit on the loose side.
    Congrats on your Henry, that sounds like a sweet rifle. Have you shot it yet?

Boolit Grand Master
    TX--

I got the most recent Cattleman in late 2012, as a Uberti regular production item. The dealership told me that Uberti was in the process at that time to shifting their "boutique caliber" Cattleman production to "specialty resellers", probably meaning Cimarron and/or other like/similar firms. I have zero time with any 38/40, long or short, though I keep after a buddy to sell his 5.5" New Service in that flavor. No traction there, like wet ice on Teflon. I need another caliber to ride herd on like a trout needs a mountain bike, but sometimes a good gun needs a good home--and who am I to stand in the way of that?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

TxGunNut, which Cabela's was that? The Waco location or another one? And, did you happen to notice any Ubertis chambered in .44 S&W Special? I would probably make the drive up there for a 5 1/2" .44 Special. I'm about 200 miles south of you... Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I think I have the twin to your Navy Arms 32WCF, Green Frog. Mine is that bright blue that doesn't wear especially well but it's a good looking piece and shoots quite well when my ammo suits it. Seems the chambering is a bit on the tight side and my other 32WCF's are a bit on the loose side.
    Congrats on your Henry, that sounds like a sweet rifle. Have you shot it yet?
    Yeah, that "fire blue" probably wasn't really, but it did look pretty, didn't it? I talked to Val and his gunsmith at a writer's seminar he put on and thought then how I'd like to have one of their "special" 32-20s but never got around to buying one. I was amazed to find one at my lgs, so I decided to get it while I could because I might not get a third opportunity. To be honest, it hasn't had the range time it deserves (and all with factory ammo) but I've got dies and mould for when I get a round tuit.

I just got the Navy Henry on Saturday and between Christmas prep, doctor visits and bitter cold, I just haven't gotten out to the range with it... I'm hoping for next week when my brother comes for a visit. Sure wish I hadn't let that NOS set of 310 dies in 44-40 get away!

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    Green Frog, Did you happen to pick up that 32-20 at ACF in Charlottesville? If so, there were initially two guns. The 32-20 and one in 38-40 with white grips. I have the 38-40.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCook View Post
    Green Frog, Did you happen to pick up that 32-20 at ACF in Charlottesville? If so, there were initially two guns. The 32-20 and one in 38-40 with white grips. I have the 38-40.
    No, mine came from Ace Hardware in Lynchburg. It had the original(?) wooden grips, some sort of dark walnut. The owner of the shop implied that the previous owner had owned it for a while and it came to me with a sack full of factory ammo that he had turned in when he sold/traded it.

As I get older, a "recent" event becomes further back in time... I think I may have gotten it as long as 4 years or even more ago... I'm not 100% sure of exactly when I got it. I do know that the one I saw at Val Forgett's writers' event has to have been at least 16-17 years ago. He didn't mention a matching 38-40 being available at the time. How does that tapered/shouldered case do for you? I've heard people say they've had trouble with fired cases backing up and tying up your cylinder? I thought about the 38-40 Blackhawk (Buckeye Special, a combo with a 10mm cylinder, IIRC) that came out in the series with the 32-20/32 H&R that I did buy, but the bad rep of the 38-40 was sort of off-putting.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    TxGunNut, which Cabela's was that? The Waco location or another one? And, did you happen to notice any Ubertis chambered in .44 S&W Special? I would probably make the drive up there for a 5 1/2" .44 Special. I'm about 200 miles south of you... Semper Fi, Treetop
    I do all my adoptions at the Ft Worth orphanage (Gun Library). Don't think they had a 44 Spl, Sarge. IIRC the only big bores were 45 Colt. Wouldn't hurt to call & check. I'll probably brave the crowds and wander thru Saturday but it may be too late by then.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    TX--

I got the most recent Cattleman in late 2012, as a Uberti regular production item. The dealership told me that Uberti was in the process at that time to shifting their "boutique caliber" Cattleman production to "specialty resellers", probably meaning Cimarron and/or other like/similar firms. I have zero time with any 38/40, long or short, though I keep after a buddy to sell his 5.5" New Service in that flavor. No traction there, like wet ice on Teflon. I need another caliber to ride herd on like a trout needs a mountain bike, but sometimes a good gun needs a good home--and who am I to stand in the way of that?
    Boutique approach makes sense, been meaning to go down to Texas Jack's in Fredericksburg. His store is the Cimarron showroom. My shooting buddy often spends his kids' inheritance there and it sounds like a fun place to hang out for a few hours.
    I understand about new cartridges, especially when it's a caliber I don't cast. By the time I invest in dies, brass and a mould a new cartridge quite often costs me $300-400 and I'd quite honestly be better off buying powder & primers for the cartridges I presently load. Other than a couple of C&B revolvers I've managed to avoid the 43 caliber family almost completely...but if the right 44WCF or 44 Spl came along I'd probably adopt the poor thing and make it feel right at home.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the 1871-72 open tops in .44 special. I used them in cowboy shooting. they are both pretty accurate. I also have two 1851 copys one in .38 special and the other in .44 special. both are quite accruate.(the Friendswood club has plate racks, which have 6 1/2inch steel plates 8 inches in dia. we shoot them at 10 yards. if you can get all six with a six shot revolver you doing pretty good. I have friends/and his wife that get 5-6 plates out of six shots using all four of the above guns. they are all great shooters. some are cimarron and some are Taylers.(all ubertis), and yes, I have several other cowboy guns that I shoot, like a couple of schofields in .45LC and .44-40, and yes, they are quite fun also.

Boolit Master

I definitely think the Cimarron versions are nicer. My 1873 Peacemaker exhibits better quality than my Ruger BH...

Attachment 185026

Boolit Man
    I got a great deal on an Uberti stainless 45 with 4 5/8" barrel, put a spring kit in it and omg. The trigger pull is scary good. I wish it wasn't stainless, but someday I might find one with a proper finish for my aesthetic pleasure. But functionally, it is perfect.