MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky

Thread: aluminum and steel together

Boolit Master

aluminum and steel together

I am a doofus at metal work so I ask. Can I take a piece of aluminum and put a steel bushing in it to install a bolt thru and the steel not corrode the aluminum? Can you stop this reaction between the two metals? Once I get this question sorted out I will say why I ask.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

You can't easily isolate the two to prevent corrosion, but if you can keep oxygen and moisture from the interface there won't be much problem. If salt water, acid, etc. gets into the joint, then corrosion would be worse than steel on steel or aluminum on aluminum.

Studs that hold heads on aluminum engine blocks are a common application.

Ruger has used aluminum pistol grip frames attached to steel upper frames, and I've never seen any resulting corrosion of the upper frames or screws that hold the two together.

Boolit Master
    It depends.

If you're in a relatively dry non corrosive environment with no stray voltages you shouldn't have a problem. If however you're in a damp corrosive environment and have some stray voltage the aluminum is going to rot out. You could use a sacrificial anode of zinc to protect the aluminum as is done on boats.

Boolit Master
    In the Army, working on helicopter, we used zinc phosphate paint to prevent galvanic corrosion. Most fasteners were steel, while the skin and components were aluminum.

Boolit Bub
    Brass bushing.

One thing to be aware if; they have different coefficients of thermal expansion. If a press fit, it could become an issue if exposed to larger temperature differential. Most likely probably not going to be an issue.

Boolit Master

ECK.

Ps, if using steel I aluminum, use stainless. Less galvanic difference

Vendor Sponsor

Stainless corrodes Aluminum just as bad as regular Steel. Salt Water is the electrolyte . We see this on Navy Parts all the time.

However if this is a press fit bushing in the aluminum it should be just fine, just not lifetime fine.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I've installed steel bushings into aluminum a lot. Got it laying around all over the place. I can probably count hundreds of steel and stainless parts pressed into aluminum around the shop.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Moderator Emeritus

IN non-saltwater environment it is used a LOT. I have proof in the form of antennas that are stainless/aluminum construction! Little no-alox paste helps prevent it too. I use it for aluminum to aluminum joints so the antenna boom sections(telescoping aluminum tubing sections) don't corrode to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Stainless corrodes Aluminum just as bad as regular Steel. Salt Water is the electrolyte . We see this on Navy Parts all the time.

However if this is a press fit bushing in the aluminum it should be just fine, just not lifetime fine.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    It depends upon the environment and the alloy. Fancier aluminium alloys will corrode faster. Brass will be worse than steel in aluminium. Zinc won't protect aluminium as aluminium is more reactive. Paint will help as long as it stops moisture from joining the 2 metals together electrically.

Boolit Master
    Thanks every one for your input. I feel rather confident how I want to go about this project. I have a o/u 12 ga barrel cyl choke with rifle sites from factory. I also bought off ebay many years ago a fancy wood set for a 101 Winchester. I have a total of 100 dollars in this project to date. I want a BP 12 ga slug shooter and anything else that I fancy to blow smoke with. All I need to do is built the receiver. I will use a lever to open the barrel lock. Sorry I can't load pics on this site but I think one time I did post a pic of barrels and wood a few years ago when I could down load pics. Thanks for all the replies and educating me on this metal to metal situation. This is the biggest project I have taken a shot at and I can only work as the meds allow me to, so it will take awhile.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I have lots of guns that are mixes of aluminum and steel. I never subject them to conditions where problems have occurred.

To simplify; you need a potential and an electrolyte to set up a corrosion cell. The potential can be determined by looking at a galvanic series charts, the further apart on the chart the more potential there is. You will have a potential between steel and aluminum just need to eliminate the electrolyte and you will be fine.

Boolit Grand Master

As already stated, if in a corrosive environment it could be a problem but for most applications should be just fine. Consider guns with aluminum receivers, aluminum moulds with steel sprue plates and alignment pins pressed in, steel screws in aluminum parts, etc. Pretty common to have the two metals mixed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    Not exactly.. You have to look at the science behind the corrosion, and the makup of the two materials.

Stainless is closer to aluminum in the galvanic series than plain steel, thus it has LESS of a reaction.

Boolit Master

I installed playgrounds for over 12 years, stainless hardware into cast aluminum clamps. The manufacturer recommended loc-tite (red), I believe, to seal the threads as much as to prevent loosening. I can't see vibration loosening hardware on a playground that was torqued to snug plus another 1/4 turn.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Thanks every one for your input. I feel rather confident how I want to go about this project. I have a o/u 12 ga barrel cyl choke with rifle sites from factory. I also bought off ebay many years ago a fancy wood set for a 101 Winchester. I have a total of 100 dollars in this project to date. I want a BP 12 ga slug shooter and anything else that I fancy to blow smoke with. All I need to do is built the receiver. I will use a lever to open the barrel lock. Sorry I can't load pics on this site but I think one time I did post a pic of barrels and wood a few years ago when I could down load pics. Thanks for all the replies and educating me on this metal to metal situation. This is the biggest project I have taken a shot at and I can only work as the meds allow me to, so it will take awhile.
    Might get your Al part anodized then press the bushing in. I do my own anodizing but when I want the pros to do it, it is only a $100 charge for 1 or a few parts.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned

look at an aluminum mold many of them have steel parts [pins and sockets] pressed into place.