Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pointy Boolits and Push Through Sizing / Gas Checks

Boolit Master
    I have had checks pull back through the die, tapping them back on, on the bench top just leaves them loose. I don't like loose checks. The check has more friction then the boolit in the die.
    This won't change if you do it base, first. The reason the checks are loose is the gas check stem is too small. Lapping out the mold is the only definitive cure... unless you want to size your bullet a mic or so smaller.

I have had some checks fold over themselves by catching the edge as they go into the die body.
    This might be a case of a burred sizing die. I little lapping of the opening might help?

If your bullets are too small to get good friction in the sizing die, it might be possible that the checks don't get seated quite fully. But nose-first is my preferred method. Personally, I'll preferentially work out the kinks to make nose-first work. Base first, the check will potentially swage itself to the base of the bullet, rather than perpendicular/flat. I dunno about your guy's bullets, but the base of my boolits have a little nub where the sprue cutoff is. I'd call the Lee pusher surface much more flat and perpendicular than the base of my boolits.

Banned

This won't change if you do it base, first. The reason the checks are loose is the gas check stem is too small. Lapping out the mold is the only definitive cure... unless you want to size your bullet a mic or so smaller.
    Not so, make my own molds and checks are hard to get on, need to start them and tap on the bench. The Lee die will still move them back.

Banned

Get rid of the nub on the base, the plate is too loose. Cut the sprue with little taps at a downward angle.

Boolit Master
    Annealing your gaschecks will help, I'm working on a cure for Lee push throughs
    Lee sizing dies will screw in from the bottom and be pushed into the container of your choice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The ram only pushes the bullet part way. The point of the next bullet pushes the previous bullet the rest of the way through the die.

If blunting is a problem, you could use a dummy bullet to complete the cycle. Just have two or three that you don't plan to shoot, and pick them out to reuse as they come through.

I think you have the wrong ram stem.

My lee sizer die ram stems completely push the boolit thru the restrictive part of the die, and ALMOST up enough to fall into the red cup. when the stem drops back down, the boolit rests, and the next upcoming boolit pushes the loose resting boolit into the cup, no force involved.

I size nose first, never had a problem... thus the nose never gets blunted, because it sees no contact.

Boolit Master

Adjust you sizing die as deeply into the press as you can so that the pushing stem almost touches the bottom of that die…

I am sizing the NOE 311-202-RN and it is 1.19” long and it gets pushed completely through the sizing portion of the Lee die…

I can size one and unscrew the die and simply tap the top of the die on the bench and the sized boolit falls right out…

If you adjust your sizing die correctly, the subsequent boolit being sized does not push the previous boolit through the sizing part of the die. It only pushes it upward—the boolit has already been sized…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master
    Not so, make my own molds and checks are hard to get on, need to start them and tap on the bench. The Lee die will still move them back.
    I believe it but I still think there's a fix. Maybe your bullets are too small for the sizer. So the bullet just sits on top of the check instead of the check and bullet getting pushed together. Maybe it goes without saying, but just in case, you aren't sizing your bullets first, then trying to check them?

Lots of us wonder why anyone would intentionally put the bullet through base first... maybe there are checks that are just too short? Is it a specific check/caliber u have problems with?

Boolit Master

Could be a lube problem, too short of a GC shank, or a very undersized ram stem, or a issue with the ID surface of the sizer. Maybee a mot and some ultra fine polish compound and a couple minutes with a drill will help if it is a finish problem. Post back.

I'm sitting here thinking the same thing gloob.

A bullet that is already on size or very close creates no resistance as it's pushed through. Clearly the gas check ain't getting seated consistently if so.

Everyone's free to do what works for them but base first through a Lee sizer make absolutely no sense to me. Also, I have several Lee sizers and never seen one that didn't pass the bullet all the way through the sizing portion of the die in one pass. I screw mine in until the touch the ram or the shoulder of the punch, then back off a little and go. If yours doesn't size the whole bullet in one pass, something is wrong.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Annealing your gaschecks will help, I'm working on a cure for Lee push throughs
    Lee sizing dies will screw in from the bottom and be pushed into the container of your choice

Can't wait to see the press finished! Another pistonium casting well done Jim.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    For a Star I still use nose first then put through a piece of wooden doweling in between pointed bullets, when pushing the wooden part through I don't engage the pump on the down stroke.