Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: The commercial bullets in factory rifles compared to target rifles

Boolit Master

The commercial bullets in factory rifles compared to target rifles

I was wondering to ask peoples opinion about the commercial factory bullets in different Factory rifles.
    What works the best in hunting and target shooting.
    Has there been any old favourites that gave better accuracy or hunting bullets that are no longer produced and still missed.

S

Boolit Grand Master
    The best hunting bullet will not make the best target bullet

I like the Norma Match ammo with the 168 gr SMK. It shoots under 1 MOA. The only reason I bought it was for a class and I had no time to reload. I will not hunt with it as it will not expand reliably.

I do not use factory ammunition to hunt or target shoot with. The good stuff is expensive and I am cheap

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I was thinking about the D-46 type of bullet for my .338. Unfortunately the Lapua did manufacture the Scenar and Lockbase as 250 grainers. Luckily I found a manufacturer who made similar bullet. Bought enough so that I will not run out for a while.

S

Well well. If I would have to use only one bullet, the FIRST bullet I would try out is the Nosler Accubond. It is usually very accurate. Rarely you find a rifle that won't shoot with it. And you can hunt almost everything with it: It expands reliably in smaller game, but it can be used also in big game hunts. It's a little bit on the soft side for moose..

Target bullet would be Lapua Scenar, Sierra Match King or Nosler Custom Competition. Which ever is available. In many rifles they are practically the same bullet (of course they are not, but with regular factory made hunting rifle it is almost impossible to tell the difference).

seppos: which manufacturer did you find?
    --------
    SISU

Boolit Master
    Since I'm cheap, I'm also lucky that most of my game rifles prefer Hornady bullets since 100 of those cost about the same as 50 of any other brand bullet. I have a 22-250 and a 65.5X55 that leave no paper between bullet holes, a 30-06 and a 338WM that shoot well under an inch @ 100yds. Actually, the only rifles I own that don't like Hornady bullets are a couple of Ruger M77's in 257 Roberts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Well well. If I would have to use only one bullet, the FIRST bullet I would try out is the Nosler Accubond. It is usually very accurate. Rarely you find a rifle that won't shoot with it. And you can hunt almost everything with it: It expands reliably in smaller game, but it can be used also in big game hunts. It's a little bit on the soft side for moose..

Target bullet would be Lapua Scenar, Sierra Match King or Nosler Custom Competition. Which ever is available. In many rifles they are practically the same bullet (of course they are not, but with regular factory made hunting rifle it is almost impossible to tell the difference).

seppos: which manufacturer did you find?

I have used the 250 grain Accubond in my .338 and are familiar to it.
    That works nicely for moose and is Moose legal up to 800 m in Lapua Mag

My bullets are from one of the competing major brands from USA.
    I was so interested that I bought the whole box and are well stocked now.

S

Boolit Master
    Have shot a bunch of SMK 168 grains from both 308 and 30-06. 3 target semi custom Model 70's in 30-06, 40x single shot in 7.62 nato. And My Sako 75 Hunter in 30-06 loves the Nosler 165 grain ballistic tips and also loves the hard to find match M72 for the 30-06. Actually find it easier to get great accuracy with my '06's than the 308. Frank

Boolit Master
    You asked about commercial bullets but were you really asking about factory ammo or reloads with commercial bullets. My .22 Hornet shoots the latest Hornady Factory ammo with the 35 grain V-Max bullet as well as any of my reloads, even ones using the same bullet. You did not really say what kind of hunting and hunting rifles you were talking about. I think that Custom and Target Rifles will shoot all ammo more accurately but the also benefit more from careful handloads. Inexpensive hunting rifles probably don't benefit as much from ammo selection.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Yes,
    You are absolutely right. Luckily there is manufacturers for quality cartridges.
    http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/

S