Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Had a S&W 629 Classic fall in my lap yesterday

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Had a S&W 629 Classic fall in my lap yesterday

wasn’t in the market for a new handgun. I have a 454 Casull SRH on order now and should be in any day.
    My wife’s nephew called me to see if I wanted to buy his 629 44 mag W/5” barrel. He has only shot one box of factory ammo through it. He was going to sell it to our local gun shop so to speak. I asked him what they had offered him then told him I’d give him $50 more plus the chance to get it back if he changed his mind. He has already told me that he won’t change his mind so I’m the proud new owner of a like new 629. I did buy a box of factory ammo to test it out with. The revolver shoots great. Of course I cleaned it up and checked it out. I’m impressed that the cylinder gap is as close as it is. I got a .005” clearance, virtually no end shake and lock up is very good. Timing looks great too. The trigger is very good for not to ever have any work done to it. I’ll run a few thousand rounds through it and then reevaluate the trigger. I haven’t had time to slug the barrel or cylinder throats yet but from the little research that I’ve done it appears that the 44’s have tight throats. A trip to Cylinder Smith may be in order.

I’ll have to put the 44 on the back burner for a while. I’ve been gearing up for the 454 and the 44 came in unexpected.
    not a great pic but neither am I a Photographer.
    A picture that I just took of the 629 Classic.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Nice piece. I have a ported 629 and its my favorite handgun.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Grand Master
    That's a beauty!

I've owned two Model 29's and a 57, but never a 629. Mine were great shooters, although I used relatively mild loads in them. I reserve the really heavy stuff for my Redhawk.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    (sniff)! Just looking at one of those beautiful 629's brings a tear to my eye!.. I just ran onto one myself, and your description pretty much matches mine. My 629 Classic DX has the 8 3/8" barrel-- I think that is where the "DX" comes from--and it is beautiful! Congrats on being in position to scoop up a great find!
    lathesmith

Boolit Grand Master
    A beauty, for sure.

The 5" barrel length is making inroads into my revolver assortment steadily. Don't ask me why, but I like it for some reason.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Good Deal

A 5 inch barrel on a Smith & Wesson (or a 5.5 on a Ruger single action) has been a favorite of mine for years. I have a 629 and 625 in 5 inch and a 5.5 inch 627 from the "gun of the week" period during the late '80s at Smith and Wesson.

This length is ideal for a carry gun for hunting. woodswalking, cutting firewood or general farm work. Short and light enough to carry; long enough that the muzzle blast is endurable and enough weight that the recoil isn't bad either.

Why don't I ever get deals like this!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    (sniff)! Just looking at one of those beautiful 629's brings a tear to my eye!.. I just ran onto one myself, and your description pretty much matches mine. My 629 Classic DX has the 8 3/8" barrel-- I think that is where the "DX" comes from--and it is beautiful! Congrats on being in position to scoop up a great find!
    lathesmith
    I have two 629-3 Classic DX's in 5 inch bbl. The DX designation was given to those guns that gave an accuracy when shot of better than 1-1/2" groups at 25 yds as well as a set of 4 or 5 interchangable front sights and a set of nice wood grips as well as the factory Hogues. The factory target was included with the gun. S&W no longer offers the DX version in 5 inch persuasion and I'd never part with either of mine. Both have accounted for several whitetails. One wears a Leupold 4X EER scope and the other wears a Hi-Viz type aftermarket sight that I bought from Dillon. Any of you folks out there with aging eyes, like mine, will love that sight.--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info Shuz, I will definitely try mine before I do anything to it. If it ain't broke...
    lathesmith

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Any of you folks out there with aging eyes, like mine, will love that sight
    I put a set of fiber optics on my GP 100 for that same reason. I'm thinking Red Dot for the 454 Casull I'm buying. I haven't made any decisions as far as sights yet for the 629.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned

very nice gun!

Boolit Master
    fall into your lap did it hurt? good going

Boolit Bub
    that is a nice revolver. dan

Boolit Mold
    Beautiful piece! I have one just like it. It shoots 3 1/2" group @ 50 yds. if I do my part. The 5" barrel is the perfect length too. This is the gun I hunt whitetail with. Mike