Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which Lee progressive press?

Boolit Bub
    I have Lee Classic Turret, but i was considering the Pro 1000. They were about same price 210 for classic package and 200 for Pro 1000. I picked Classic for flexibility, faster then single stage, slower then progressive, but i pay very close attention to every ammo i make. Once i get going i crank out about 8 to 10 rounds per min. If i check powder charges every 10 (QA check) i do about 3 per min.
    I also use my turret for sizing my boolits, on progressive you cant do that b/c they got shell plates. Also ability to switch from 9mm to other small primer/large primer bullets takes me 10sec(Turret, shell holder)/15secs(Turret, shell holder and primer switch out). Lee Classic Turret HOLD its Value compared to Progressive.

My opinion is it's probably the best bang for the buck. Great compromise between a single stage and a progressive because it can do so many things and do it pretty well at a reasonable initial cost. Also if he decides that he wants out of it for whatever reason they do seem to be holding their value on the used market.

It may not be as fast or productive as a progressive and may only be slightly faster than a single stage but with the turret heads being only about $10.00 to $15.00 each it does make for caliber changes to be pretty quick and painless.

You'll have to post a follow-up after he's had it and used it for a while with his thoughts and impressions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Thanks again for all the input. He bought a LCT press today. Soon the fun begins.
    Huh, I read this "entire" thread before posting last night, but somehow I missed this one which is only two posts above mine.

Congrats to the new reloader. ENJOY!

BTW, I'd suggest keeping on hand a few of the plastic square things that the rod goes through. I've never had to replace mine but I figure that's only because I have a handful of extras, either that or I heeded all the advice about what NOT to do to keep it alive. Other than that, get lots of turret heads and a roller handle.

Boolit Buddy
    He bought a [lightly] used kit from a friend of mine who only used it to load a few hundred rounds so it was basically a new LCT. The seller had ordered a couple extra square plastic gizmos for the center square indexing rod so he has that covered. It did come with the auto disc / red plastic powder drop as well as with the automatic primer station. I am not sure if its the "auto prime" but the seller had never got it working so he had taken it off and stored it in the box. He got all the original boxes, manuals, paper work, an extra turret and 9mm dies. He is working on designing / building his bench now and hopes to be up and running soon. Its a good winter project for him and he is only down the road from me and I've offered to help in any way I can. He's a retired engineer so I have confidence that he will catch on pretty quick.

Boolit Grand Master

Which Lee progressive press?

Don't short stroke the press and the plastic ratchet won't wear out. This is the key and many people, myself included, chose to ignore it. I've worn through one but it was due to my incompetence.

Take the time to get the safety prime to work. It needs to be aligned properly. It takes a light touch to feed the primer. He may or may not have to add a washer to raise the height of the bracket. I slightly lower the ram and then swing in the safety primer. And no matter what it's going to have a hard time feeding the last two to three primers. This is because there is no weight on the primer column. May take a couple clicks each to feed the last few primers but they will come out. It's worth the time to get it working properly.

Boolit Buddy
    Dragon,

What do you mean by "short stroke the press"? Can I assume you mean that he needs to move the lever the complete range of motion every time he pulls the handle. Is that correct?

What do you mean by "short stroke the press"?
    Anything other than a full and complete stroke.

The little plastic "flipper" rides on and hits/slides on parts of the press frame while the ram/carrier move up and down, indexing the shell plate correctly. If you do not run through the entire process from start to finish you will have problems.

This short video should help understanding how they work.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Dragon,

What do you mean by "short stroke the press"? Can I assume you mean that he needs to move the lever the complete range of motion every time he pulls the handle. Is that correct?
    Yes, full down and full up. If you short stroke and change direction while the ratchet is in the "twisted" part of the indexing rod you will start to damage the ratchet. Do this enough times and the turret won't fully index like it's supposed to. Make sure to completely stroke the press and you won't have any issues.

Boolit Master
    Even though the autoprime system looks like a cheap kids toy, it actually works surprisingly well. As others already pointed out, a little common sense while setting it up and it'll work fine for years.

Boolit Grand Master

It's not an Auto Prime. That's their hand held primer. The press mounted priming system is the Safety Prime. I'm pointing this out so people don't get confused about the products.

Boolit Master
    Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    You've been eating that peyote again, haven't you? Just kidding.

One thing I've noticed about those online 'reviews' about the LLM, most of them, like 70%+, bought something from the mothership in Scottsdale...it just drives them insane that somebody can spend 25% of blue money and load ammo that works as well as stuff from the mothership....their eyes just roll around in their heads. LOL
    I've had peyote once. Living in Arizona, hanging out with different tribes, sweat lodges, but I digress. . .

It doesn't drive me insane. Really it doesn't. I started with a Square Deal in the 80s to support my Bull's Eye and Bowling pin shoots. I lost count of how many 45 ACP's were loaded. About three or four years ago I dropped it off in Scottsdale for a rebuild. It cost me 45 bucks. It came back to me a B model with updated powder measure and looked brand new. I traded that press for a San Diego lubrisizer with a lot of extras and dies. Remember, Lee charges half of their retail price to refurbish a progressive press. That would mean around 100 dollars or if not more. Shortly after I bought the SD, I bought a 450 also back in the mid 80s. That pumped out 44 Mag, 7mm TCU, 30 IHMSA, 7 Merrill stuff for IHMSA. When the 550 came out I had the 450 reframed. Long story short, well into six figures of ammo loaded and the round counter broke shy of 100k of rounds back in the 90s. That press has well paid for itself in spades. I may have them refurbish it someday.

The LM needs some shellplates - 500 S&W for instance. They were available at one time from their custom services department but no more. They have the least amount of shellplates compared to the big three. I load pistol and rifle on mine. From 17 caliber to 50 caliber stuff like the Winchester, S&Ws, Linebaugh.

I bought a Load-Fast and it went back twice and the third time I got my money back. Richard honored his 30-day money back guarantee. I don't own much from the production side from Lee. Custom Services side I have moulds, and sizers with a couple of specialty dies.

For me NoBlue, the LM doesn't do the job for me. I load way too many different cartridges that the LM doesn't have shellplates for. So a 200+ dollar press to load a few things for me is not cost effective. Plus, after the Load-Fast, I will not buy another Lee progressive at ANY price but that's me.

take care

r1kk1

I tend to agree with most that there are/can be issues with the Load Master press. It's definitely not for sissies... I've had several over the years and had fair luck with them, have two right now and they both are running just fine. That said, I do have after market priming systems on both from Mike's reloading bench and they just work. Priming is really the only "issue" I've had with any of the LM's I've owned, any other problem would be just an adjustment issue. The problems I see most often (other than priming) is usually the case feeder and that's always an adjustment problem. Set up correctly the case feeder will just run and run. The other "problem" I see mostly is shell plate indexing issues and once again it's usually just an incorrect adjustment with either the index rod flipper or occasionally the case ejector "tip". Are there better progressive presses out there....oh yea, and I have always in the past ended up selling the LM's and trying something else. Now that I've got these two working really well I'm thinking of either moving on to either a LNL or Pro Chucker 5. Not sure yet. I would really like to get my hands on the older Pro 2000 Auto but the price of those things have gone through the roof for some reason. BUT, you must understand I'm kinda a reloading press junky, I like to try them all. I do have an older stock Dillon 450 that I purchased from Alverez Kelly that I've been toying with the idea of sending it in to "update" it, but I really kinda like it the way it is with the exception of the powder measure, it's really getting a bit worn and is beginning to cause some issues. Between the two Lee progressive presses I think I would opt for the Load Master over the Pro 1000. Just a better set up. YMMV..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Now that I've got these two working really well I'm thinking of either moving on to either a LNL or Pro Chucker 5. Not sure yet. I would really like to get my hands on the older Pro 2000 Auto but the price of those things have gone through the roof for some reason.
    The price has gone up because of the problems w/ the ProChucker series. If you think the LM had priming problems then do some research on the ProChuckers. Last I saw the "updated" parts from RCBS were still breaking. If and when they get it worked out the seven station one will be on my bench. But they decided to ditch the reliability of the APS strips for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The price has gone up because of the problems w/ the ProChucker series. If you think the LM had priming problems then do some research on the ProChuckers. Last I saw the "updated" parts from RCBS were still breaking. If and when they get it worked out the seven station one will be on my bench. But they decided to ditch the reliability of the APS strips for some reason.

I've been watching the priming issue with the Pro Chuckers to see IF RCBS gets it figured out. As far as "wanting" a Pro 2000, the APS priming system is the major reason I want one. Well, that and the fact I still have all the shell plates from my AmmoMaster days and they're the same plates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    I've been watching the priming issue with the Pro Chuckers to see IF RCBS gets it figured out. As far as "wanting" a Pro 2000, the APS priming system is the major reason I want one. Well, that and the fact I still have all the shell plates from my AmmoMaster days and they're the same plates.
    I think a user/owner will figure out/solve the priming problem on the Pro Chuckers before RCBS.
    I don't own one, but it looks like the steep angle of the cam that retracts the primer slide contributes to the problem.
    That cam slope/motion only uses about half the travel to retract the primer slide on the vids I've watched

I've been using a piggyback for years and have just recently found/bought an Ammomaster Auto, both have tube fed primers, and you can see the primer in the primer slide as it goes under the case in the shell plate BEFORE it is seated.
    Yes, a lot going on but every operation can be monitored visually, and you just need to slow down/stop pulling/pushing the lever when something doesn't look right.
    Whew, sorry for the drift...
    Just bought a Lee Pro1000 for 45 ACP and plan to leave it set up for 45.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-03-2017 at 05:11 PM.

I would really like to get my hands on the older Pro 2000 Auto but the price of those things have gone through the roof for some reason.
    There are some people that just want rare things. Look at people they buy old Lee loaders for more than a brand new one costs because it's "vintage".

Just wait and you'll get a decent deal. I picked up a NIB one last year for $340 shipped to me.

Had it up here for 2 weeks at $450 with 9mm shell plate and the case feed parts I built for it, no takers. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=RCBS

Wound up selling it on CL.

Disclaimer: Im a mechanically inclined tinkerer and a fan of affordable Lee products.

There are a few issues I do have with lee, but for the price, Ill happily correct them myself.

Ive owned a pro1000, came new for 9mm, worked great, converted to 223, worked decent. Stoped shooting and sold it.

Started casting, picked up a new Loadmaster for 45ACP. Several thousand rnds through it with almost no problems. I now run 45, 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, and 223 on it. The shel plate carrier is about worn out, its funickey and needs a few parts, but I have well over 10K assorted rnds through it.

Only real issues I have, 223 shells sometimes tip over before getting pushed into shell plate, but its adjustments and speed.

Other one was priming 9mm. My machine wasnt factory set for 9. Failure after failure... Finally read a fix online where the shell plate is used for more then just 9mm and doesnt propperly center over priming pin. A Dab of epoxy and 5 little curved pieces of copper wire cured the issue. Lee should make a 9mm only shell plate or fix the one they sell to align properly.

i bought a loadmaster early last year.

it was in pieces when i got it.

there was modified parts everywhere ( bought it from a hardcore reloader off this website )

i had issues with the modified parts, had no issues with the new never used nor molested parts.

ive had 0 issues with it. if there is an issue, theres a simple adjustment, if it needs adjustment, its because i changed shell plates or priming systems.

i put it together when i was 23.

its not hard people...............
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

ive had 0 issues with it. if there is an issue, theres a simple adjustment, if it needs adjustment, its because i changed shell plates or priming systems.
    I don't mean to be picky but if there is a simple adjustment made because of an issue, wouldn't the number of issues be higher than zero?