Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: You know you're hooked on reloading when..

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    anyone here go thru the trash at the range and keep the empty ammo boxes, I have big cardboard boxes full of them that I reuse, I would rather have them than the MTM plastic boxes
    every trip to the range I poke around for useful stuff.
    Watch your back.
    Shoot Straight.
    Conserve ammo.
    Never cut a deal with a Dragon. From the Shadowrun tabletop Role Playing Game.

Boolit Master
    my girlfriend wants to call the hoarders show on me. The last straw for her I guess was when she found the stack of frozen pizza boxes I use for targets. They got exiled to the wood shed

You now enjoy going to the thrift stores with your girlfriend because you're looking for anything that could be used for casting.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    You now enjoy going to the thrift stores with your girlfriend because you're looking for anything that could be used for casting.
    Like a metal "scooper" to keep the casting pot clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    Like a metal "scooper" to keep the casting pot clean.
    Exactly. Or good pewter. Ingot molds. Cast iron.

Boolit Master
    Shooting related - I collect the 4 ft X 8ft corrugated plastic political campaign signs after elections. They make great target backers.

Reloading specific - I keep all the yellow cat litter buckets to store brass in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	183556
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I have found a Solution. I go to the Container Store. They have aLot of Unusual Box,s, Bins, and stuff. right on the shelves. It might be a little more cash but You don't have to eat the junk you buy
    Ya, but part of the solution is the hunt. I have been using Folgers red plastic coffee (cans) great about 5 years now. They do stack very well. But I may start looking at some of the screw top style can/bottles .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My spare room is set up as a miniature town with buildings, parks and commercial properties. It is populated by casings that represent civilians. I often declare a draft and clean them up like the Army would. They get a lil grey helmet/boolet and are moved to the Army base as ready soldiers awaiting orders.

Small peanut butter jars are the best, Just my opinion though. Planters peanut jars are good to tall and glass clear.

When you spend as much time on internet reloading forums as you do at the reloading bench.

I've been using the square 2# peanut jars that WalMart sells.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    When you spend as much time on internet reloading forums as you do at the reloading bench.

I've been using the square 2# peanut jars that WalMart sells.
    Totally agree there

When you have as many (or more) "recipe" books as your wife does.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I have found a Solution. I go to the Container Store. They have aLot of Unusual Box,s, Bins, and stuff. right on the shelves. It might be a little more cash but You don't have to eat the junk you buy
    I usually just build some boxes out of 1x6 cedar fence pickets. Some reclaimed from a fence that blew down in a previous hurricane, some from brand new cedar pickets.

They're made from 5 pieces of board that are the same length.

Length = 2 * Thickness + Width

Assuming 5/8" thickness and 5.5" width, then cut them to 6.75" in length.
    $2.65 for a 6' picket and you'll get 10 pieces out of each picket, so that's enough for 2 boxes.
    So, $1.33 per box plus a few cents for glue and nails.

Wood glue and small (around 4d) nails to hold it together while the glue dries.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 12-28-2016 at 05:52 AM.

Banned
    Attachment 183647When you go to bigger and bigger containers. PS the German Shepherds love cheese balls.

Those shoe box sized clear plastic containers are good for storing sorted brass in, fit perfectly in an old metal heavy duty office style book shelf. Can see the brass, and stick on paper labels. Stack about 3 high, at 4 high the weight of the stack will make the bottom one start to bow it out. You just might be getting near to needing an intervention when you start looking for a second bookshelf so you can split the rifle from the pistol.... I don't have a problem I can quit accumulating brass anytime. I just choose not to.

Some quantities of brass are best just stored in 5 gallon buckets but I'm not to the point I have to collect cat litter buckets for that brass. But then it is good to have a dream in order to stay motivated.

Smaller jugs for cat litter are good, not clear but you can see through them, can's stack but flat sided, around the size of a 2 gallon water jug. Great frozen and stuck in the cooler, no melt mess, and block last longer than cube. For those long hot days on the range. Or for bringing range pick ups home from the range.

You have a problem when you are still middle aged and are thinking about how to label and record you stash so the kids can deal with it better after you die. I mean who doesn't mention their lead and brass inventory in their will, right?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    You have a problem when you are still middle aged and are thinking about how to label and record you stash so the kids can deal with it better after you die. I mean who doesn't mention their lead and brass inventory in their will, right?
    Yep...

Lead? Check...
    Tin? Check...
    20mm casings? Check...
    Depleted Uranium? Check...

I do not only look for things to use for reloading and casting but also if I can use it for trapping also. As for reloading I get the sweetners containers from my brother that it have a screw on and snap lid on it. I use it for my cast boolites and it is clear and also easy to stack.But also use some of the things that is stated also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    I didn't see anybody talk about the red Folger coffee cans.( Plastic snap top).
    Yep. Folgers is what I drink since I found a good use for the container.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

My sister in law uses a lot of the cashews in her business that she gets from Sams that have a large mouth screw on lid. I get the containers when they are empty. They hold a good supply of brass and a bunch a boolits and are easy to stack and get stuff out of them. I use the Folgers plastic containers when I can get them. Now that I am retired the coffee funds at work do not work now. I also collect my wife's yogurt containers' for small stuff.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

You know you're hooked on reloading when..

When you shoot several times a week, sometimes every day but have not purchased any ammo in 20 years.

Ken