RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ""new truck deal turns to a disaster"

Boolit Master
    I have been lurking but want to advise Sam to reconsider before it is too late. A group of people coming together to help him solve his problem was a miracle and Doug's offer apparently another Christmas time miracle. Yet another party offering help figuring out transportation a third miracle. You see many miracles in this world?

Living in a snowed in cabin would make for limited perspective leading to bad decisions. I can tell you this is not looking good. My father who lived through the depression literally counting pennies to survive would have said to go back to Doug and ask if he will still sell it to you and simultaneously figure out how and if you can get it shipped to you.

There is risk getting anything shipped and some risk buying a used car sight unseen especially on a limited budget. Doug appears to be a stand up guy and getting a used car from him as low a risk as can be had buying a used car.

I am an expert on understanding people and their deal making capabilities and tell you that you need to straighten up and gain perspective. I know that is easy for me to say and maybe impossible for you to do, but it is the unavoidable truth and to be done before the situtation gets worse.

You are in a cabin in a rural area snowed in because of recurring horrible weather and declining health unable to afford escape. How much worse does it need to get before you realize it is a life or death situtation and help is a long way away? People here extended a helping hand which you should not count on again. If you take Doug's offer I will contribute $100 to help pay for the window repair.

I am a total pro at understanding transaction dynamics which is largely understanding people's emotions and situations and can tell you to adjust your thinking while you have a chance. You may view this as a rude thing to say, but maybe you should just sit back and consider your realistic options deciding which of the imperfect choices is best. I don't know you at all. You are nothing to me, but I just offered to give you $100 if you buy Doug's truck because I think you have a chance, not without risk, to save your life before it gets completely unsolvable.

It reminds me of the time people here came together to help a guy move from Alaska to Texas. The guy literally shot himself in the foot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    No third seat in those, plus parts are even MORE expensive to repair them.
    Not so, to give up a 4 runner is not in my cards. Just seen the worst to buy, Some Rams, and Fords, chevy's in the mix. Cadillac Escalade was bad.
    Carol and I have run 4 Runners for years with the least costs ever. But I do the work. I don't think we will own anything else.
    Don't say "made in America". Almost every part is imported. China! I have a Samsung fridge-- made in MEXICO. I needed a carb for a Weed Wacker. Came from China.
    Regulations keep our people out of work. What parts are in a Ford made here? Steel comes from China. Machines from China or Japan.
    I remember my brother in law worked at Chevy. Got new presses and the maker was ground off. Made in Japan had to be removed. We could not build the tools because of regulations and taxes.
    Buy a Ford with parts from India, China, Mexico and all third world counties.

Boolit Master

We are on our 4th 4Runner here. Have a 97 sitting in the drive way that has 237,000 on it and runs like it will get another 200K. I have been driving that one for just a bit over 20 years since new. We traded my wife's 2002 off for a new one last year. The 02 had 218 K on it. We are sold on them. Rust will get em though up here in the salted road country.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned

I ran with everything from Fords to Chevy. Even many Volkswagen. I worked at a Desoto, Plymouth dealer and WOW, what junk. Power like crazy but fix like crazy too.
    I have owned two fords in my life. Chevy went soon. Jeeps are garbage. I found Toyota and will not go back. Friend got Honda's and is always fixing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had one Ford, and that will be it. We have 3 Toyotas and if my Daughter hadn't just bought an Audi(??) two months ago, there is a nice little RAV4 down the road, with 8K miles on it (2012) that I would be talking her into buying

Something like Dough's vehicle was what I have been hoping for as a potential solution. Older vehicle from a known source in good mechanical condition for a fair price.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I stumbled on to this thread a few days ago. I have not contributed to the fund, so I'm a total outsider to this and as such, if anyone feels my comments are out of line, tell me and I won't be offended, but looking at this, I'll second what at least one other person had said, those who contributed, did so out of a generosity. But it as a gift and as such, it is now not your right to dictate how or when money is spent.

As the receiver, it is his responsibility to acknowledge the generosity and reply when spent and hopefully a good buy will occur.

But the receiver has really no responsibility to do what some or all of you think. It is his decision to make. I would say to Sam to withhold any more discussion until he buys whatever he does buy. Douguy needs to sell to the young woman if she wants his truck. and Sam should let everyone know things are good when they are good. And the rest of you pray for him to find a good vehicle....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I ran with everything from Fords to Chevy. Even many Volkswagen. I worked at a Desoto, Plymouth dealer and WOW, what junk. Power like crazy but fix like crazy too.
    I have owned two fords in my life. Chevy went soon. Jeeps are garbage. I found Toyota and will not go back. Friend got Honda's and is always fixing.
    I have nothing to contribute in regards to the deal drama, other than to say I hope it works out for the best and they find the right vehicle.

I just thought I'd chime in to agree with 44man about Toyotas. I love my 20 year old Tacoma 4wd. That old truck has been a rock. It's like the energizer bunny. Getting close to 200k miles and just getting good and broke in. Three times in the last few years complete strangers have knocked on the door and asked if my truck was for sale. I'm always tempted to ask them if they see a for sale sign somewhere that I don't, but instead I just politely smile and say no, that's my truck. I can say the same thing about my wife's Sienna minivan, at 250k+ miles. I'm all about buy American, but I just don't understand why the American car companies can't put out a vehicle with this kind of impressive reliability.

Boolit Grand Master
    IMHO
    Some think newer vehicles are better than older ones.
    While newer ones get better millage, and have more power, older ones are easier to repair.
    I'm hoping he's getting a standard trans.
    Newer auto trans don't last long and are expensive to repair.
    If it were me, I'd look for something from the 70's or 80's.
    Not much computer control. Solid trans. Easy and cheaper to keep running.
    Toyota 4-Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Chevy Blazer, would be my choices.
    Hope it all works out for the best.

Moderator Emeritus

Problem with going back to the 70's and 80's is they are considered classics now and cost a mint!

Vendor Sponsor

Some of the northern states have done away with annual inspections, the salt eats them before they get broke in good!

In Japan, they have VERY strict pollution laws, cars can only put something like 60k on the motor, and then by law it has to be replaced. So if you need a Japan motor, they are now cheap and abundant if you know where to look!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    SNIP...

In Japan, they have VERY strict pollution laws, cars can only put something like 60k on the motor, and then by law it has to be replaced. So if you need a Japan motor, they are now cheap and abundant if you know where to look!
    60K ...That's just crazy
    Around 2002, I bought a 1988 Honda Civic CRX with 190K, and that motor ran great, So smooth at a idle, you could put a champagne glass on the engine and it wouldn't budge. I fixed the rust and drove it 60K miles and then sold it to some kid in 2010, and I still see that car once in a while...it had the famous Y49 yellow paint (google CRX Y49 to see what I'm talking about).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    60K ...That's just crazy
    Around 2002, I bought a 1988 Honda Civic CRX with 190K, and that motor ran great, So smooth at a idle, you could put a champagne glass on the engine and it wouldn't budge. I fixed the rust and drove it 60K miles and then sold it to some kid in 2010, and I still see that car once in a while...it had the famous Y49 yellow paint (google CRX Y49 to see what I'm talking about).
    You know by just mentioning that paint code you have just put a curse on everyone reading this thread

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I've been driving Toyotas since '88. Never, I say again never had I had a problem that left me stranded on the side of a road. I've never had to take one in because of a mechanical issue, not a single time.

Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I would never ask anyone that I was involved in a contentious deal with to "fix" anything. I can't imagine he will be happy about it. There are thousands of good used vehicles out there.....Why the love for this particular one?
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Banned

Best car I ever owned was a Datsun station wagon. Nothing would stop it, snow, mud and dragging the bottom. 2 wheel drive with perfect balance. Made a VW Bug look sick. Then it started to backfire and nobody could fix it. Blew the muffler wide open. But rust ate it up too. Nothing to drive 60 mph on black ice or plow through drifts.
    None of those problems with Toyota but the 4 Runner must be put in 4 wheel if slippery. Carols is constant 4 wheel, 2003 with a V8 that will set you in the seat. My 2000 is a six and I put a cool air system on it. It ROARS! Only thing I hate with most new are timing belts. I was told up to $1300 to change mine with over 130,000 miles. I did it myself for $130. Including a special puller for the rusted on damper. Hardest part was the air conditioner to get out of the way.
    My neighbor has many Honda engines on tools, snow blower, ATV to pressure washer. Always bad. Then they bought Honda SUV's and brakes drive them nuts. I can't count the disks he has replaced.

Best car I ever owned was a Datsun station wagon. Nothing would stop it, snow, mud and dragging the bottom. 2 wheel drive with perfect balance. Made a VW Bug look sick. Then it started to backfire and nobody could fix it. Blew the muffler wide open. But rust ate it up too. Nothing to drive 60 mph on black ice or plow through drifts.
    None of those problems with Toyota but the 4 Runner must be put in 4 wheel if slippery. Carols is constant 4 wheel, 2003 with a V8 that will set you in the seat. My 2000 is a six and I put a cool air system on it. It ROARS! Only thing I hate with most new are timing belts. I was told up to $1300 to change mine with over 130,000 miles. I did it myself for $130. Including a special puller for the rusted on damper. Hardest part was the air conditioner to get out of the way.
    My neighbor has many Honda engines on tools, snow blower, ATV to pressure washer. Always bad. Then they bought Honda SUV's and brakes drive them nuts. I can't count the disks he has replaced.
    Good to know someone on here has plenty of experience with the 4runner. We just got one for my wife, so I'm hoping to make it last quite a long time. It seems like a great vehicle. It's a 2016 with the V6, we plan to lease and then buy out. Not the greatest financial decision, but one we could afford.

Makes me think about getting a Tundra when her payment is up. I need a good truck.

Vendor Sponsor

What was bought as a Craigslist beater, something to drive locally to the store and work, etc, is turning into the best car I have owned. I say best not because of any one thing in particular, but overall cost and efficiency and being satisfied with how it drives and performs.

First off, here is how I try to price a daily driver. I take the cost of the vehicle, plus any repairs, and upkeep such as tires, batteries, even wiper blades, and I divide that figure with the number of years it has been in service, and my goal is to drive the car for a year for less than what most people would pay per monthly payment for a newer, nicer vehicle. I have done this my whole life, never bought a new vehicle, always went for the ones I could work on and the ones that looked like the best deal overall, red Blazer was seen as a very good opportunity and so far it has been great. A little TOO nice for me even....

This 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Wagon was bought from Craigslist in 2010, with 82k original miles, salvage title so it had been totaled in the rear and fixed. Cost $1500. Tires $350 battery $125 wipers $25 intake gasket kit $35. Cost of ownership $2035.00 driven since October of 2010 = $391 per year. Not too shabby!

GM in it's wisdom put the beefier much quicker 3.1L V6 from the Z24 Cavalier in this one because of the heavier body, and it ZIPS in traffic! Very quick little car I was surprised! 0 to 60 with this motor, not getting on it not pushing it hard, will put a smile on my face every time.

Of course it had the notorious end seal oil leak at the intake manifold that these engines are known for, I popped the top half of the motor off and put the aluminum intake manifold on my vintage Craftsman 6" belt sander (YIKES!) and removed about .100" off the ends, so there would be about an eighth of an inch gap between the manifold ends and the block, laid a thick bead of silicone across this and let it set until barely tacky, reinstalled the manifold and it has never leaked another drop since. GMs design used silicone, but it was a layer SO thin that it couldn't maintain a seal and the stuff breaks down and leaks. All they had to do was put a bigger gap there and the factory seal would have never failed.

Oh yeah I almost forgot!! This one tagged a really nice yearling doe one morning, I tossed it in the back hatch and took it home where it promptly went into the freezer so hey not only has this been a GREAT little car, it has put BAMBI in the freezer as well!

(Yes, this car is the one that said BAMBI woke up about halfway home and started kicking and thrashing and trying to stand up, I'm going through this tiny little PODUNK town in North Carolina where the cop sits at the corner and shoots his radar gun down the street as the town's sole source of income, and I was PRAYING that nobody saw it and called them!)
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-22-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I don't know 44 man - must be something in the air where you reside. Terrible troubles with FA revolvers and Honda anything. Honda generators go forever and are as quiet as any generator on the market and more so than most.

Honda lawnmowers start on the 1st pull, are fairly quiet and run forever without repairs. Honda autos around my neck of the woods seem to run forever also and Civics get great gas mileage and the Accord will get you a speeding ticket if you don't use cruise control.

As with anything, you just need to properly care for your equipment if you expect it to give you great service over a long period of time.

I have a 95 Toyota Cruiser and an '01 Sequoia with over a half million miles combined on those two Toyota's and I expect to at least double/triple that mileage without any major repair on either - but I've always used a full synthetic oil, tranny fluid, bearing grease etc - I believe in full synthetics and my vehicles/equipment seem to like it too.

My grandkids run Honda Civics and Kia's and they all have 150,000+ miles and are running as good as new - synthetic fluids of course, cus I changed everything over.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Now there's a guy with a plan, DougGuy! One thing I do different is I usually buy used tires, my #1 source I use is http://www.bestusedtires.com/ excellence service, free shipping, and descriptions are always spot on! My theory is, if you buy a used car your tires are already used!! Also sometimes shop at salvage yards for tires and batteries. Never know what you might find. Got a set of tires for a van once from a new Ford truck "less than 500 miles on it" that had been t-boned by a semi. Sold me the tires for 415 bucks each mounted & balanced!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice