MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Another good to see you around again Recluse.....

I came from a small community and I knew two guys that reloaded. They reloaded for their rifles. I reloaded with them for a season then bought my own equipment, a Rockchucker and a few case prep tools.
    My first manual was a Speer #9 the latest at the time, actually it was hot off the press. The year it published was the year after I started reloading with my two buddies. If I remember 74 was the publish date. I started reloading in 73.
    I do believe I pretty much wore that manual out. I still have it and use it for comparison but the hard cover is in bad shape.
    I have a number of manuals up to the latest Lyman. I mostly use them now for the charge tables. And since ole Al invented the internet, I go to the powder manufactures web site and look at the load data there.
    When I am working on a new load which is seldom now. I'll break out at least three manuals and start comparing load data for the load that I am working with.
    It does appear the manuals are going more lawyer friendly comparing powder charges listed 40+ yrs ago all the way up to current manuals.
    I'm also aware that some powders have changed some through the years as well so I do pay closer attention to the load data in the newer manuals to start working up a load.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I just looked in my 50th Edition Manual today for the Sharps 25-45. It is Not in the 50th Edition, and I know the cartridge has been around for a while. I thought the Lyman Manuals had it all. I don’t own a 25-45, but it’s an interesting cartridge, and it’s one I’d want to reload for if I bought one.

“WARNING”! Reloading is addictive.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    It took a full additional cycle to get the 6.8 SPC in it and even in the 50th the data is sorely lacking with zip for cast .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Well I ordered it like others.
    I could care less about the warnings.
    I just don't want to be let down like others say they have been.

By that I mean like others I collect the data compare it, yada, yada, yada.

But ya I find it here on the net. in old books, Once in a while a old timer will tell me a load right off the top of his head. ( I write it down)
    It never hurts to have more info as long as you don't go information overload.
    I even have a bunch of those old Hodgdon pamphlets that used to be free in the gun shops up at the counter back in the day.

I'm just hoping I didn't waste 20 bux on the book after shipping to be disappointed that I wasted the money.

Then again I was WARNED!
    Rich

I'm in need of a new reloading manual and was thinking about getting the Lyman but now I'm not so sure.
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer View Post
    I'm in need of a new reloading manual and was thinking about getting the Lyman but now I'm not so sure.
    I would not hesitate on the Lyman if I needed a manual, heck I don't need one and will probably get it anyway.
    All the new manuals are going to have warnings, it is what it is these days.
    All new manuals are going to be missing data on some of the older calibers that are not so popular, lyman probably has as many or even more as any other.
    Lyman probably has more on cast as any new manual.

Boolit Master

I have several manuals some newer many older, you can never have to many manuals. One thing to keep in mind is no one manual has everything or every possible load contained in it.
    As the 50th lyman it is and ok manual and is inline with most of the calibers currently used so in that respect it is a good first manual, yes many of the lesser calibers are gone, but when you think about just how many really reload some of the old calibers?
    If you are just starting out lyman is as good as any to be your first but don't let it be your only manual as there is a lot to learn, understand and also to choose from. Old manuals are great information sources and sometimes the only place you can find old caliber data that some times you have to convert to new powders even. reloading is fun, it is educational and most of all it is experimental even when using data exactly from the manual as no two firearms act the same with the same powder, primer, case and bullet each is unique to its self and you have to learn that and accept that and enjoy it and work with your firearm to accomplish the best for that firearm.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I just ordered it from amazon. Don't really need it but will add it to the collection.

I enjoy my Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook (2008) and will probably get this one too.

Boolit Bub
    Any of these Reloading Manuals include Load data for PC bullets?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Javater View Post
    I honestly doubt it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Javater View Post
    LMAO!

There's too much variation depending upon the method used to PC plus individual technique for this to happen. If there was a commercial vendor that gained a huge market share with PC bullets and their coatings were uniform and repeatale, then *perhaps* they might get included, but the data would only be applicable to that particular company's products.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Thanks.

Working on Oaths & Lies at present,
    So how do I get on the waiting list.

I haven't picked up this manual but have found good information in the Lyman manuals of the past.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Grand Master

I bought one when it came out and find it very good. Easy to read, tables easy to see etc...

I one of those guys that started on my own with a Lee Loader, Lyman Manual, some boolits and primers/powder. Read the front of the lymans over and over and went to work. First round I loaded I admit I kinda squinted when I pulled the trigger but laughed and laughed when it worked. I still keep a Lee Loader in every caliber I own with a plastic mallet at my hunting camp. fits in a pocket and is easy to use.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum