RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Vendor Sponsor

I am mounting all my presses and my lube-a-matic on pieces of oak or other solid wood, so they can be clamped onto the workbench and moved around as needed, this allows the loading bench to serve multiple purposes when not reloading. I can clamp the lube a matic and lube boolits, then set it off to the side, clamp the progressive press down and load ammo, or clamp the single stage press down to crimp, trim cases, etc, all with no ugly holes drilled all over the place..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I am mounting all my presses and my lube-a-matic on pieces of oak or other solid wood, so they can be clamped onto the workbench and moved around as needed, this allows the loading bench to serve multiple purposes when not reloading. I can clamp the lube a matic and lube boolits, then set it off to the side, clamp the progressive press down and load ammo, or clamp the single stage press down to crimp, trim cases, etc, all with no ugly holes drilled all over the place..
    I don't know why I didn't do that years ago. But only one set of holes in the bench for the single stage everything else gets its own board clamped down.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

I did that for a while but those clamps were a real pain to work around. bought the Lee Bench Plate and that was the best 25 bucks I ever spent. http://www.titanreloading.com/press-...ee-bench-plate
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

After a club session, I did 3 loads of 9mm brass in the tumbler, then loaded up 100 rounds for the club next Saturday. This morning I will straighten up and organize the reloading table. You have to stay on top of it or it will turn into a total disaster zone.

Sized some 45ACP boolits in the Lyman 450

Boolit Man
    Cast, powder coated, lubed, sized, and loaded about 1200 45 ACP last week.

Cast about 100 Lee one ounce slugs.

Boolit Master

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Loaded up a dummy round for my next batch of 44

Lyman 429303
    Pretty cool bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...3&d=1423320617

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Cast ingots from the last of my foundry lead. Apparently "the" family member relived me of most of this as well. This was after catching them previous to buying this lead. And locks were changed. So it appears someone stole my keys at some point. There is no way I cast 1,000 pounds of bullets in around eighteen months. I haven't been shooting that much.

I found only plywood worked well as base, wood with a grain seemed to want to split where a mounting screw went through. I avoided clamps by running counter sunk machine screws down through bench and using wing nuts and washer under bench to swap out bases with press mounted on them.

Have considered the Lee base bracket and plate but also the Pat Marlin Rock Dock and Shelf Dock system. But those solutions are on a someday list of money to spend, piece of 5/8 plywood I had already available when pine board snapped. Oak flooring was the other material attempted, too much seam.

http://www.patmarlins.com/product/ro...docking-mount/
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

If I was designing a removable press system, I would mount them on an 18"x18" piece of 1/2" steel plate and have that another plate that was the same size mounted underneath my table. Instead of using nuts, I would thread the holes in the piece mounted underneath the table. That way, it would just be 4 bolts that needed to be screwed in from the top to secure everything.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Loaded up a dummy round for my next batch of 44

Lyman 429303
    Pretty cool bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...3&d=1423320617

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lyman 429303 is a very cool bullet!! Powder coating makes them even cooler. What load are you using?

Trying to set up a used Hornady Lock N Load for .223. Finding out what parts are missing. Hornady has sent me some free parts and a DVD. Bless them!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lee S. Forsberg View Post
    Lyman 429303 is a very cool bullet!! Powder coating makes them even cooler. What load are you using?
    Not sure what load I'm going to go with yet.
    Definitely not the 26.5 grains of 2400 that Carl Hudson used with it in 1967. That's a little hot.
    Probably a reasonable charge of 2400 though.
    I have some with one coat of Hi-Tek on them. Once I re-coat them I'll start loading the batch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    If I was designing a removable press system, I would mount them on an 18"x18" piece of 1/2" steel plate and have that another plate that was the same size mounted underneath my table. Instead of using nuts, I would thread the holes in the piece mounted underneath the table. That way, it would just be 4 bolts that needed to be screwed in from the top to secure everything.
    An 18" x 18" piece of 1/2 steel weighs about 45 pounds. One above and one below the bench is 90 pounds of steel.

Perhaps 1/4" plate sandwiched on the bench-top would suffice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    An 18" x 18" piece of 1/2 steel weighs about 45 pounds. One above and one below the bench is 90 pounds of steel.

The Rock Dock and Shelf Dock are aluminum and form a track along side and across back to in which to slide aluminum base plate with press mounted. Shelf Dock is just small version suitable for holding base plate on shelf. I'm not sure I can see the advantage of steel when 1/2 to 5/8 inch plywood works just fine. Have full length sized 303 and 8 mm Mauser without issue. Only when press is mounted to 3/4 wood board has it cracked.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Inline Fabrication's bench plate is another option. I like it the best since it's completely flush w/ the top. I may put it on my bench in the garage.

Boolit Master

AFTER shooting my Lyman/Ruger 45-70, P-14 in 45-70 and Remington 722 in 22-250.
    And S&W 66 with 38 Special ammo
    I came home and loaded a bunch of 11 MM Mauser ammo.
    Then loaded the Montero Sport with shotguns and ammo for tomorrow's shooting adventure
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

Perhaps, but as we used to say, anything worth engineering is worth OVER-engineering...

Besides, I would like have enough thickness to thread the top piece where the bolts that went through it could stay within it and not protrude to the table top.

Boolit Buddy

Well, today I completely dismantled my bench adding about 3 feet for a total length of 22 feet. I shortened the height by 5 inches so it matches up to my casting bench, so it is L shaped now. I made the top a lot stronger, and bolted it to the wall. It is very sturdy and clean for now. Tomorrow's plan is to get started on some .223's and 22-250's and probably admire the new bench and do some trim work on it,
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?