RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hollywood dies

Boolit Grand Master

Question Hollywood dies

Are Hollywood reloading dies worth anymore than others?????
    They look almost like RCBS. Maybe a little longer.

Did Herters make dies????
    Any other reloading die makers??????

Banned

The only set of Hollywood dies I own are fr the .32 Winchester Special and they are very well made, good dies. More robust than most.

Herters did sell dies under their name, not sure who made them, the sets I have look like old C&H dies.

I think the rifle dies I like best are the old Pacific Durachrome ones. Gotta admit though, the new Lee dies with the powder through expander have become my favorite pistol dies.

Boolit Mold
    Please correct me if i am wrong but i think all Hollywood dies were steel therefore have to use case lube. I prefer carbide dies no case lube rcbs brand. When i first started i had lee carbide dies can't tell any difference but, I would guess rcbs dies would last longer but not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

My only experience with them is the set I mentioned. Never seen a set of carbide dies for a bottle necked rifle case regardless of manufacturer.

RCBS dies are great, but no better than those Hollywoods and no better in my experience than the Herters and Pacific dies I have.

As to which would last longer, unless they rust, I can't imagine anybody wearing out a set of dies in a lifetime, though my Dad di manage to wear a steel .45 ACP sizer to the point where the cases wouldn't hold bullets tight anymore, so I guess it can be done.

Boolit Master

Hollywood dies are no better than what is currently available. I have lots for sale.

Hester's dies do not have a good reputation.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

the couple hollywood dies i have are not of any higher quality than pacific,rcbs,lachmiller,lyman dies of the same era --
    since most dies were made on screw machines then (50's - 8
    0's) and most of todays are cnc made I expect todays are generally somewhat better.

Boolit Master
    I have only a few Hollywood dies. They seem to have a tighter thread fit than other dies, both in the Hollywood presses I have and the other make presses. Inside, they seem to be no better and no worse than most other brands.

I think before the fire that finally ended the last Hollywood company, Hollywood Engineering, they did offer carbide dies, even in bottleneck rifle calibers. Their prices in the catalogs were truly heart-stopping. I can't imagine that they sold many.

Boolit Bub
    Kevin you wouldn't by chance have a set of Hollywood or Easton dies for the 17 Zipper???

Hollywood is my die set for 45-70. Nicely made high quality product.

Like most, I have lots of dies from lots of different manufacturers (RCBS, Reddng, Lyman, C-H, Lee, Lachmiller, Hollywood, Vickers). Ones I like the best are the ones that give the results I'm after. Usually a mix of manufacturer's dies for each rifle cartridge. The exception to mixing manufacturers is the Lee 40 S&W pistol dies. Only dies I don't allow on the bench are Hornady.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Kevin you wouldn't by chance have a set of Hollywood or Easton dies for the 17 Zipper???
    I'll look, but I don't think so. The Hollywood dies I know I have are for .38Spl, 300H&H, 30/06, .45ACP, i.e 1960s warhorses.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Kevin, I have an Easton seater die for the 17 Zipper. I know both companies made them , was hoping you might have a set of old dies. I'm building a gun this winter.

Boolit Master
    The Hollywood dies that are really nice are their shotshell dies. I have a 12 gauge set and the machining is beautiful.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looked on evelbay and found some for sale.
    They really don't go for much.
    I guess all the newer reloaders want only new stuff.