Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Franken-Ruger

Banned

I actually hit a running deer easier then a standing one off hand. Smooth swing gets the shakes out. Lead is kind of built in for me. Now a rest would be great but it is never in the right place.
    Need to put one on a swivel.
    I once took hair off a running woodchuck at 550 yards with my .44 flat top. Got the lead right but elevation was off a little. I pace an exact 3' for distance and might be a foot off at 500 yards. Years and years of chuck hunting to over 600 yards.
    One of my best shots was a doe in the southern Ohio mountains, snow. We found tracks going up so I told my friend what to do but he messed up and booted the doe. she came down the hill like a boolit, leaping and bounding over brush. I hit her behind the shoulder with a TC Hawken at 125 yards on a full leap.
    A rifle is so easy and a full run at 200+ is easy. I sold my rifles except my Swede that I customized, can't part with it. I don't hunt with it anymore. Confirmed revolver hunter.
    I like what you show. A revolver is so good. Been years and years telling to get away from 7 yards and 25 yards and you make it work.
    Now at my age can you make shakes go away? I will be 79 in Dec. More Jack or ridge ripple?

Boolit Master

I'd definitely go with the Jack, straight up please. Another fine one to calm the "shakes" is E&J XO brandy straight up. If you gotta have a "reducer" then add ice. If you need to add anything else - you don't have the shakes bad enough.

Boolit Master
    Can this be done on single actions like a 357 Maximum? Trying to decide which way to go here? Ernie you're going to cost me some money. Also will the PSR top fit on a Trigger Stick tri-Pod or does it have to be a Bog-Pod, the latter is a little scarce around here but I can order one. The Trigger Sticks I can find local. Not wanting a straight 357, it will have to be a Maximum or a 44 magnum, thanks.

Dick

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Can this be done on single actions like a 357 Maximum? Trying to decide which way to go here? Ernie you're going to cost me some money. Also will the PSR top fit on a Trigger Stick tri-Pod or does it have to be a Bog-Pod, the latter is a little scarce around here but I can order one. The Trigger Sticks I can find local. Not wanting a straight 357, it will have to be a Maximum or a 44 magnum, thanks.

Dick
    Won't work on a single action. The cyl pin and the ejector get in the way.

We do lots of stuff with single actions but they are more of your standard build.

For the rest it can be anything. You just want front and rear support.

I generally do these in he factory chamberings for the RedHawks and gp100. Not the super RedHawks.

When we attacked the accuracy problems from a different direction the factory cyl worked out just fine.

One must remember that we set everything extremely tight on these and the forcing cone is set up for jacketed bullets in the optimal weight range for the caliber.

Lead may not work the best.

Boolit Buddy

I know sixshot likes to shoot vermin with a wheelgun. How about out to 400 yards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KHi80vCus

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    I'd definitely go with the Jack, straight up please. Another fine one to calm the "shakes" is E&J XO brandy straight up. If you gotta have a "reducer" then add ice. If you need to add anything else - you don't have the shakes bad enough.
    E&J great until I seen the latest price. That brings on shakes too.

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Ernie you're going to cost me some money.
    Also will the PSR top fit on a Trigger Stick tri-Pod or does it have to be a Bog-Pod, the latter is a little scarce around here but I can order one. The Trigger Sticks I can find local. Not wanting a straight 357, it will have to be a Maximum or a 44 magnum, thanks.

Dick
    Dick,
    Enablingmodeonwarpspeed!
    I do not know if bog gear/ PSR top is compatible with trigger sticks, I've never tried it.
    I can't find PSR tops anywhere right now as bog gear has discontinued them.
    Looks like you'll be getting a 44 mag then.
    The 357 mag will kill easily out to 250 yards on deer and I'm guessing given the design parameters of the Hornady 158 grain XTP hollow point to 300 yards. I know the accuracy of the system is there.
    Some Whitetail and antelope are going to die next year in the process of learning how well that bullet does at 250 and a little bit further.
    I know if I reloaded for my 15 inch FR with the 158 my velocity would go even higher.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Banned

It will be the bullet and I believe you are correct. Some expansion will be enough as long as you get enough penetration.
    Made my .475 boolit too hard this year and shot through a deer behind the shoulder into a tree, ruined the tree but no blood after seeing hair driven into the tree. Got into stuff, blow downs with no trail. Razor blades grow there! Every other deer hit with the gun has dropped in place. I loaded cast soft points for the next go, have to grit teeth and move on.
    I got away from the .357 when I shot IHMSA, hard to knock a 50# ram over at 200 meters. An old man would hit them and he loaded so hot he had to beat the S&W extractor on a 2X2 stuck in the ground. Even the .44 needed a good hit. Just need a good bullet for hunting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    E&J great until I seen the latest price. That brings on shakes too.
    $12 to $15 a 1/5th - that's not a real bad price, but if you have alligator arms, ya maybe.

Gonna be interesting to see what ole sixshot finally decides to do here - I can see him trading that Ruger Max for a GP, maybe 2 of them.

Agreed. Bullet choice for the given task is vital.
    I am not going to run my ammo hard, when I start loading for it.
    Just looking for the best/most consistent accuracy I can find.
    Right now, I am very pleased with Hornady's ammo!
    I don't worry about knocking steel down, just enough to make lethal penetration with said bullet on deer/antelope size game.
    The ability to place my first shot at distance/cold bore from field rests is a given, if I do my job.
    Now it is determining the "science" as a friend of mine says.
    As crazy as it sounds I was eyeing another GP-100 this week
    Ernie "The Untactical"

If you are looking for a PSR top this may be one of the last places to get them.
    https://www.natchezss.com/bog-hd-tri...addle-bag.html
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master
    You guys are enjoying rubbing this into me but I've brought it on myself & I'm enjoying the journey actually. The problem is I'm a revolver guy through & through, got out of the single shots after I came back from Africa & I had a bunch of them. Can't say I've ever shaved a ground hog (rock chuck here in Idaho) at 550 yds with a sixgun but I've thrown some lead that way from time to time.
    I've also stood next to some of the finest revolver shooters in the world at Raton, New Mexico & shot out to 800-900 yds offhand & after a while we would make some hits but making a hit once in a while doesn't make you a shooter, being able to make a shot on demand like Ernie mentions is what separates the men from the boys.
    Precious few revolvers have the accuracy or velocity to be able to make long range (something beyond 200 yds) hits on demand. I've killed a few deer pushing 200 yds & one elk at 168 yds. that were with iron sights on sixguns when conditions were perfect for the shot, other times I've passed on a 50 yd. shot. Iron sights are my favorite but 72 year old eyes are kicking my butt & I'm adding a few scopes & the rock chucks are blurry on almost every shot. Seeing these FR's & how B/C is building them & Ernie & some others are shooting them is exciting but I have to sneak up on new ideas & was hoping I could track down a 357 Maximum for a platform, one slipped through my hands yesterday. I sold my last one because it was spitting powder out the cylinder gap & peppering my face a bit. Did kill a buck at about 212-215 with it just before I sold it using a 180 gr. soft nose cast.
    Last night I did the unthinkable for me. At our local club banquet I bought an old friends 22BR Encore!! It's a dandy & he hasn't shot it 50 rounds, probably not even 25. Has a 3X9 Burris on it, Bullberry Barrel (my African hunting partner) with a muzzle brake & amazing Bullberry wood. Never thought I'd jump back in but those rock chucks deserve me, not some rifle toting knuckehead from Pocatello or Utah! Still not sure what to do though, was looking forward to that 10 1/2" Blackhawk!
    Ernie, I got the PSR rest from B & H Photo in New York, 1-800-947-9950 WWW. BandH.com
    Here's a photo of the 22 BR I got last night at the Banquet!

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 11-05-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Dick,
    We are supposed to enjoy the process/journey.
    Thank you for letting us share your journey.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Banned

The people I met at IHMSA ran to two levels. Those that were the best always gave all the help they could and were the most pleasant ever. Then those that thought they knew it all and were always angry. They are hard to deal with and reject a powder change or such.
    I shot with the best, Boyd Carpenter, Josie Engle, Blacky Sleeva, and many more. They walked the line and jumped in all the time to instruct and spot. Seen them throw their hands up because there are always a few.
    The worst thing with a .44 was 4227,s but powder of choice in the .357 max. What you feed the gun, etc. is where it is.
    Ernie knows that and what he does at range but I think our original problem came because I love the SA first. I had to change my opinion of Ernie, he knows what he is doing. He will make a revolver shoot like a rifle.
    But there are still some that suggest 4227 for the .44 and I just grit my teeth. Or unique for 300 gr +. NOT. The case head says MAGNUM so you need a mag primer.
    Dang, I just got blasted for shooting a golf ball at 50 yards with a .44 and .475. They don't know it can be done at 100+.
    With a good scope and rest can Ernie hit a golf ball at 200 yards, no doubt at all. My shooting since I got old as dirt is an Ultra Dot.
    My adventures with cast boolits is different then at IHMSA when most were Hornady bullets with some cast as I learned them. Took over 40 years with cast to make them right. Might be over 65 years with cast to start. A kid that hit 1" targets at 100 yards with the 358156 HP using a 27 from prone and since 1956 with the .44. I know it can be done.
    You fellas don't know what is here with Ernie, Doug and so many.
    Your loss is to stick with stuff that fails over and over.

Boolit Buddy

I run imr 4227 in 44 mag and it does great....

FWIW-I use optics too.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BCgunworks View Post
    I run imr 4227 in 44 mag and it does great....
    I admit to getting good accuracy but don't get the gun hot. Shoot 5 rounds under 2 minutes and get back. Get the gun in the hot sun too. The powder changes in the .44 and I don't know why. 15 or 20 out of 40 was the norm. and 16 clicks over my setting at 200 meters and hitting 50 meters short made me look. 296 did not give me any trouble.
    A shot or 2 is OK. My best 200 meter group was 4227 but shot slow and cold. All the cussing on the line was from 4227.
    Try an 80 shot course in the summer.
    I shot 79 out of 80 at state with 296, shook on the last ram. 20 straight turkeys at 150 meters with opens from Creedmore and 19 rams will wear you out.
    There is no way 4227 would do it. I watched velocity climb to the moon and primers get flatter every shot. As velocity climbed, shots hit lower every shot.
    We can dispute but I will NEVER suggest 4227 in the .44. One shot hunting, OK.

The straight-wall case I have loaded the most for hunting was the 454 Casull. For those that know me, understand I have used Used bottleneck single-shot specialty pistols hunting and competing primarily. In my 454's, the Rem 7.5's, H-110, and a 300 grain bullet and it worked great for both of them.
    Never shot sillywet, so the majority of my shooting was hunting related.
    Never even had a 44 Mag until about 8-9 years ago.
    I let the gun tell me what it likes in terms of powder.
    I will have what I expect to be the "given" powder/bullet choice on hand, but it doesn't always work that way.
    I let the groups determine the direction I go.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Buddy

Franken-Ruger

I run 4227 a lot. And a lot in the FR guns. Never had a issue. And accuracy was great.

I could care less if it knocks over steel better or worse. That means nothing in practical field shooting.

As long as the gun runs and shoots accurately and pushes the bullet within it's intended velocity range for expansion that's all that matters.

Banned

It would work in the .357 too. It is only heat in the .44 that made the problems.
    But for fast in the .44 296 has been best and 2400 a little below. Still a good old powder. I think some powders are cartridge specific.