MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a turret press.

Lee Classic Cast Turret is great because:
    • The convenience of spent primers dropping through the hollow ram into a plastic hose for disposal can't be over stated.
    • 10 second caliber change over, using the $10 die holding disks that keep everything adjusted and ready to drop in and go.
    • Same 10 seconds to lift out the index rod and convert to a very functional single stage press. The classic cast turret can handle pretty much most calibers that use a standard threaded die.
    • Great for cranking out pistol or auto rifle ammo as a turret, equally good at precise hunting ammo as a single stage.
    • The Lee Auto Prime once properly adjusted makes priming a pain free process. Getting it right can be a bit of a tweak fest but once there... Look out! Ammo flowing through.

Single stage mode is how I deprime and size .223 brass in preparation for trimming and possible primer pocket crimp removal. But it can do 303 Brit just as easily. Did I mention the spent primers just drop into tube for disposal making this operation easy and fast? That hollow ram primer drop is why I never de-prime on any other press. Right up there with twist off caps and pull top beer cans for great ideas.

I did have a friend that loads a lot of 9mm and he started with a turret but switched to a progressive. But he loads a lot of 9mm almost exclusively, with some possible .380 for his wife. Me I'm loading for a lot more calibers, mostly revolver and rifle so the low cost of having multiple calibers ready to go with a turret was more cost effective than a progressive. For him the higher volume of production with a progressive was a win.

P.S the price! Good press, good price.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Wouldn't it be a gas if that T-7's head was full of LnL inserts? Wonder what that would cost is there's room for them?

I've only had one turret...the T-Mag II with 5 turret tops, yeah baby!
    that would be the ultimate!
    It would enlarge the diameter of the Turret head, but it would,be worth it.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    I don't own the Lee classic cast turret but I want one. I have the Lee classic cast single stage press, rcbs jr & 550. I load .45 colt and .45/70 on the Lee because not the same volume of rounds. But I'm thinking about the turret for those two calibers to save changing things around. I also have the Lee safety prime that I like priming on that press. I may be one of the few but it works for me. I don't think you can go wrong with the Lee turret. I wish I would have bought it before my single stage Lee. Price is great you can mount a powder measure on it and get to loading so rounds. You'll always have a place for it on your bench even if you outgrow it or find something you like better later. Enjoy your decision. If you get it and don't like it I'll buy it from you.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Tranders,

Though the Lee Classic Cast has several features that I really like, I would caution that when you open the box, you *are* rolling the dice on whether or not you get one that is put together with the ram true to the turret head.

The last couple of days I have been setting up and loading .38 Spl. and .32 ACP on a Classic Cast. Being able to instantly flip around to any die station is a huge plus, and being able to convert to single stage in a few seconds is very nice, not to mention the extremely attractive price.

But.

There is a certain amount of slop between the die turret and the turret ring that the die head rides in, meaning that the die turret lifts when the ram exerts pressure against the die. It's not a lot, but I was a little disappointed to see that much slop built in from the start.

Ram to turret ring/turret misalignment: I noticed immediately that when the ram was raised with a .38 Spl. case that the case mouth hit the side of the die off center enough that the case would not enter the die without me physically tipping the case mouth toward the center of the die.

After eliminating the die turret or the shell holder as possible culprits, I figured I had a misaligned ram bore and went online to see if I could find other examples. I found more than I cared to spend time reading, but the definitive concensus at least as far back as 2006 that I found) is that there is enough tolerance in the parts that make up the deck, tower, and turret ring to add up to the deck and the turret ring being out of parallel, and universally, in mine and every example I found, is that the front of the ring ends up high.

It *is* apparently fixable by various means of futzing with the tower column holes in the deck and/or shimming the turret ring. The most common fix I read of was a washer on the back columns between the turret ring and the tower column.

Now after all that, let me say that I think the possible misalignment you may encounter means very little with cartridges like the ACP's, the 38/357's and such, other than having to reach up and guide the case mouth into the die.

I *DO* think it needs to be addressed for ammunition that has a higher expectation of precision with as little runout as possible, but it doesn't sound like it is horribly hard to fix. And, as typically usual when discussing Lee products, the price (for me and so many others) mitigates the engineering variances to a minor enough irritation to make it well worth the purchase.

The priming system is a little Mickey Mouse, but after trimming the snot out of the little piece that opens and closes the entrance to the primer tray and loading 50 primers at a time in the right hand side instead of 100 at a time, it's only mildly annoying. I have an old round primer tray that will replace the "improved" folding tray as on as I find it.

Will the Lee Classic Turret replace any or all of my other single stage or Lyman turrets? Not a chance, but you bet'cha I'm loading all pistol ammo on them, and will use the turret to deprime and size, expand the case mouth, and drop powder, then transfer the case to a single stage press to seat the bullet on any round that I can measure an improvement in eliminating runout where accuracy counts.

I do have one caveat for any new reloader who may read this. I absolutely do not believe that this press should have to be used for case forming operations. Why subject it to those kinds of stresses when a single stage press is designed for that kind of use. The turret is meant to spin and quickly change die turrets out, not repeated crushing forces on the limited contact surfaces of the turret and ring,,,,,,,,. You can if you so desire, but why accelerate the wear?
    Last edited by Hamish; 10-28-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

There is play in regards to the turret lifting. It has no effect on run out. Typically when the turret doesn't index properly it's because the ratchet is worn. Sorry to hear that you got one w/ an alignment problem. I don't remember the last time I heard of the problem so it is rare.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't it be a gas if that T-7's head was full of LnL inserts? Wonder what that would cost is there's room for them?

I've only had one turret...the T-Mag II with 5 turret tops, yeah baby!
    I have a Hollywood Senior Turret that has 8 LNL bushings in it. I have formed cases with the swage rod attached.

take care

r1kk1

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    that would be the ultimate!
    It would enlarge the diameter of the Turret head, but it would,be worth it.
    If a machinist were to enlarge the holes already there they'd still be on the same radius from the center bolt.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I have a Hollywood Senior Turret that has 8 LNL bushings in it. I have formed cases with the swage rod attached.

take care

r1kk1
    I know, once you posted a picture of it...I think? Anyway, that's pretty cool...functional too I expect!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I know, once you posted a picture of it...I think? Anyway, that's pretty cool...functional too I expect!
    I emailed Hornady about a LNL turret press. They stated they get a lot of email about one. I wish they would do it.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

tranders- My two cents, most turrets all have stiff springs to lock them in place. I have found this to be more of a work out than putting the case in and out several times. And, I am far less apt to forget what I am doing. Mostly, I did this as neck working operations in BPCR shooting. Size down-expand-flare-seat-remove flare-taper crimp; more/less.
    The only real advantage I saw was in not moving/handling a charged case in/out of the press.
    I suggest you go directly to a cheap progressive for your pistol work. The LEE PRO1000 would serve you well I think.
    they are all over used and reasonable, parts can be had.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Leaker11 View Post
    I don't own the Lee classic cast turret but I want one. I have the Lee classic cast single stage press, rcbs jr & 550...........
    I also have the Lee safety prime that I like priming on that press. I may be one of the few but it works for me. I don't think you can go wrong with the Lee turret. I wish I would have bought it before my single stage Lee......
    For what it is worth I bought the Lee Turret first, the small single stage next, and I want to buy the Lee Classic Cast Single stage, go figure always more cool gear to get (all with good reasons of course).

You are not alone. The Lee safety prime just works for me, through thousands of rounds. I did do some online research into how to adjust and set up and worked hard to get it positioned so natural movement put it in the right place, to use it then only required a very gentle push into place, with a bit more to operate the head and dispense the primer.

On the powder measure on the turret Lee Pro auto disk works really well for pistol don't forget with the primer dispenser you need the powder dispenser riser to raise it for clearance. The micro charge bar works poorly until you are dispensing a decent sized charge. Frustrating with something such as Titegroup where volume of charge is small. Can't say where exactly the cut off is but I think around 5 grains it performs accurately, can't say for sure because I stopped using it, too much hassle but it can work well for certain things, just not as well as other solutions such as Perfect Powder Measure or put the money toward the double disk kit, both are better in my never humble opinion. Google micro charge bar problem small charges. For a better solution read on.

Titan reloading (site sponsor, link on top of page) has from time to time the micro charge disk for the auto disk powder measure. Great for small charges such as .32 auto or .380 in concentrated powders (again thinking Titegroup) and well worth having with that auto disk dispenser and a turret press. Not exactly cheap as it is currently around $29 but allows loading concentrated powders or small caliber charges and does so well on your turret press. 8mm Mauser I'll charge by taking them off press, .32 auto I have to use reading glasses to pick them up so charging on press is a big win.

Buy the Titan baffle for the powder reservoir, really nice product, works well, not expensive. Not always available but does help, I need another one because it is sort of a pain to pull it out of one measure and move to another.

For rifle on a turret you might want the rifle charging die and a Perfect Powder measure or the new Classic powder measure if you intend to dispense powder on the press. Or either one works well off press.

If charging on turret press you might try replaced sizing die on 4 hole turret with a expanding die using the expanding plugs from NOE and a Lee expander die as a holder for the NOE plugs. Works well since I as most do size and de-prime before reloading so I can check length and trim as needed. Most do this as a prior step. Because I don't need the sizing/de-priming die I can do a precise neck size and case mouth flare when reloading by using the NOE expanders instead. And prime on the press during that stage.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-29-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Thanks RogerDat, Of course everything "we need is for a good reason", why else would we buy it Have you tried the new Lee powder drum measure I believe it's called? As of now I would only be using the turret for .45 & .45/70 if I get one. Maybe I'll gift myself one for Christmas if I'm good.

ascast, "stiff spring"? My Lee turret doesn't have a stiff spring, in fact it doesn't really have any spring. Tranders, from what you've said I'd stick to the Classic Cast Turret. The Pro 1000 is a nice press, but can be an ongoing saga to keep it operating smoothly (particularly the priming). I have the "standard" turret - due to its weight the shipping cost for the Classic to Australia was, shall we say, a bit on the high side! - which I use for .44-40 and it's performed flawlessly. I've recently "upgraded" to a LoadMaster and after several weeks think I've finally got it sorted! Trust me, unless you need to load lots of ammo in a short time stick to a turret.

Boolit Master

If a machinist were to enlarge the holes already there they'd still be on the same radius from the center bolt.
    I don't think there is enough metal between the holes, after being drilled out for the LNL female bushing on the T7. So I think it would need to be a larger diameter to add more metal between the holes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    ascast, "stiff spring"? My Lee turret doesn't have a stiff spring, in fact it doesn't really have any spring. Tranders, from what you've said I'd stick to the Classic Cast Turret. The Pro 1000 is a nice press, but can be an ongoing saga to keep it operating smoothly (particularly the priming). I have the "standard" turret - due to its weight the shipping cost for the Classic to Australia was, shall we say, a bit on the high side! - which I use for .44-40 and it's performed flawlessly. I've recently "upgraded" to a LoadMaster and after several weeks think I've finally got it sorted! Trust me, unless you need to load lots of ammo in a short time stick to a turret.
    I think ascast is speaking of the springs under the indent bearings on some Turret heads, like the Redding and RCBS and Lyman. But you are correct that the Lee DOESNT have any. And any of the LCTs I had had a smooth indexing. Am doing I indexed manually on it.

And I have to agree with you on the priming on ANY progressive. The downfall on them all.

Boolit Master
    And I have to agree with you on the priming on ANY progressive. The downfall on them all.
    I don't have any problems priming on a progressive. As a matter of fact, I have two complete priming assemblies and can switch out either one in a minute.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I don't have any problems priming on a progressive. As a matter of fact, I have two complete priming assemblies and can switch out either one in a minute.

Take care

r1kk1
    i was waiting for someone to say that.

Boolit Master
    I don't won't a turret type press, I found the Co-ax press much more versatile and quicker for cal. change-overs. I guess that if I absolutely needed one it would be the Redding T-7.

Lee Classic Turret owner here. Like it better that the Rock Chucker I had.
    Yes the primer system is a PIA, but a slight twist and it works much, much better now.

Boolit Master
    i was waiting for someone to say that.
    The next time your in New Mexico come on over and feel free to use any of my equipment. See for yourself. Nothing magical. Just a clean press ready to work. I have friends that go to Tennessee every year for some machine gun shoot. They stop by either going or coming from there for food, rest and reloading. When I had the SD, one of the sons crank ammo on it, another on my machine and the dad used by buddies case feeder monster or a friend down the road the Pro 2000. None with priming issues. I swear my reloading room goes day and night when they are here. I watch them unload sleeves of primers from the truck and ammo cans of brass and condom boolits come into the room. They return to their home just in time to work. If I go through two sleeves of primers a month I feel I've done a lot, nothing compared to those guys or some on this forum who have done a million through their 1050. I'm lucky to go through a sleeve a month right now being on the road. A half through a single stage and the rest through a progressive.

Right now I'm on assignment in Arkansas and testing the Hornady Iron press kit. I have a few things from Dan to upgrade the Hornady kit.

take care

r1kk1