Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Targets.... What size??

Frosted Boolits

I plan on using AR500 plate, 3/8" thick. This should handle standard and magnum pistol up close and rifles at 100 yds (with a few exceptions...338 lapua, 50 BMG, etc).

I can cut any shape of target desired, but would just prefer to have it fit in a flat rate box for ease of shipping. If someone wants a specific shape target cut that is larger, I could most likely accommodate that.

I am still in the preliminary stages of getting prices on steel, waterjet time, etc. But if you have interest in a special shape target feel free to drop me a PM. When I have more information (prices, etc), I will post a new thread.

Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Various sizes, shapes, steel hardness, interchangeable with chain hangers--mobile to whatever ever range I wish to shoot....

A quick spray of paint and they are ready to shoot at again...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-10-08_11-36-05_835.jpg   2016-10-08_11-28-35_883.jpg   2016-10-08_11-24-31_162.jpg   004.jpg   000_2027.jpg  

2016-02-14_12-00-00_946.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

The local club hung 3 gongs at the 200 yd line this spring. These are swingers and it was a bank of 3 targets 10" 8" and 6".1/2" thick A500 steel. The 8" and 10" get used the most as the 6" is a little "chanllenging" to alot of members at 200 yds. These are water jet cut round with 2 ears and holes a replacement link on the chain or 3/8" bolt is used to hold the gongs to the chain. You want 2 chains hanging them to keep them straight and chains long enough to allow free swing. These targets have seen thousands of hits with little noticable damage. Not sur why but the 8" has a diffrent tone from center hits and edge hits.

Frosted Boolits

I will most definitely be putting 2 holes in them for hanging. They will most likely have the "ears".
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master
    6" and 8" X 3/4" would be great.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmmm...let's see here...my metal plates to shoot at....hmmmm

Well,,,I cut my plates the size of a PEA and set them out at 1000Ms and bang away.
    Yup..nail the all the time!

(If you believe that line of baloney...have some saltwater bridges to sell you in Arizona!)

I have a buddy who used to work for "XXX" city in Texas. BIG CITY. He worked for the
    'city work's division'... sewers and drains and channels and etc...etc...

He was 'privileged' to grab some City Of XXX sewer covers that were bent and 'scrapped'.

I have about XX of them and set them at 50..100...200 and (yes)..1000Ms at my place
    in West Texas. (OK...OK...the last 800Ms are on my neighbors place and he loves to
    come over and 'BANG THE GONG") So...what do we shoot at...Measure a sewer cover,
    and you will know. DON"T DO IT too close. At 50 AND at 100 we make sure they are
    'angled down' to the ground so the don't come back and hit us...or others two miles over.

And...OK..OK...do I hit them at 50...yea sometimes..100...with my VZ24 with scope...
    200...(Here's the truth...sometimes)...and out farther than that...my boys BANG THE
    GONG all the time with their rifles and scopes and younger eyes, hands, and bodies.

So. my opinion...is get some 4"..6"...8"..10"...(do i need to go on?)...set the out..
    and get after it. Don't let anyone say it is TOO BIG or TOO SMALL. (I shoot at peas)

Nose Dive
    Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Banned
    3/8 is not thick enough for any but light rifle. 1/2" is the only way I go for rifle. Put too many holes in steel to use less.

Boolit Buddy
    Since Scharfschuetze brought it up, I was at the Yakima firing center back in the day. Was working searchlight duty in the M60 A1, common practice then was to follow the searchlight beam to the target and fire. Well, that works 2 ways and when your on the searchlight tank, you definitely want the range officer paying attention TO THE RANGE FAN OF THE FIRING TANK! A 50 cal BMG won't do anything to an M60 but chip the paint and ruin a searchlight, but its a sound I will never forget, and I am ever so thankful it was NOT a main gun target!
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.